Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Aldi Way"

Options
  • 22-05-2011 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

I have become a fan of Aldi since they opened their store on Waterford Road, and have pretty much purchased most of my items from them. Today (Sunday) I went in to the store to get a few things and when I had to go to pay there was 1 till open, not a problem. I queued up a man in front of me had 2 packets of nappies a few other things, he went to pay but was short 1c, yep 1c and the guy on the till told him he had to put something back. I had no problem giving the 1c but told the guy on the till he could talk it out of my change he said NO. The correct amount has to be in the till each time they close it, I asked him why was there little elves in there checking the cash.. He replied its "the aldi way". I was shocked they would try make someone put stuff back fro 1c.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The reason their stuff is cheap is because they stick rigorously to a finely honed, über-efficient business model. Ja, das ist gud, camerade. Why should they make an exception for someone who is attempting to spend beyond their means?

That cashier was dead right. He should have sent that errant customer off to die Schornsteine.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

fabbydabby wrote: »
    That cashier was dead right. He should have sent that errant customer off to die Schornsteine.

For one poxy cent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm with ze germans on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its not exactly a car boot sale, the prices are clearly marked on the shelves. Be it 1c or €1 it doesnt matter. People dont realise that if tills are short by anything its a mark on their record. They are not asking for the 1c because they like be-littleing people, they are doing because they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My daughter says she knows lots of her peers that have been refused 'admission' to the Aldi's on the Loughboy side of town since they opened because they are under 18 and not accompanied by an adult. She's not one for making up tales. I'm astonished that the supermarket is allowed to do this and that they would want to - is a 16/17 year olds money not welcome even in this recession?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I agree. The person at the till is responsible for the cash in the till at all times and could be audited at any time. If he was down 1c and then an auditor came along and done a spot check on his till he can't tell them well the next person in the Q will pay for it.

The thing about not letting under 18's into the store sounds a bit far fetched. I have often seen under 18's in the store with out an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The other supermarkets would always let you off with a cent at the till but they screw you every other way,like supervalues famous discounted at the shelf but not at the till items:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I can imagine the headlines in the local rags;"Shock as people discover business run competently!" Can't be having that now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Aldi's business model is very very exact (the same as Lidl's), they don't go off and its because of that the business works.

Bottom line is the person didn't have the money to pay for the products they wanted so that is that, Aldi have certainly not done anything wrong here.

If everyone was let off by 1c then they'd be out of pockets by 1,000's of euro very very quickly. Lets not forget they are in it to make money.

As for the no under 18's comment, I call BS on this as I've seen plenty of kids and teenagers in Lidi and Aldi's all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

toe_knee wrote: »

The thing about not letting under 18's into the store sounds a bit far fetched. I have often seen under 18's in the store with out an adult.

Your neighbours in Waterford forum have posted on it many times.
    The security guards remove under 18's

Now you might never see it but doesn't mean it hasn't happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

he was dead right to tell him to put something back why would he expect to live beyond their means why should aldi be out of pocket coz he doesnt bring enough money with him

I don't know about it being bull**** that they don't allow under 18s into the store - her friends don't tend to be liars and exaggerators so maybe it's on an ad hoc basis but I'm going to put it to the test over the next few weeks and come back to you. :P

barbs84 wrote: »
    he was dead right to tell him to put something back why would he expect to live beyond their means why should aldi be out of pocket coz he doesnt bring enough money with him

Live beyond their means is a bit much in conjunction with a single cent. And they weren't going to be out of pocket as the OP was intending to pay it on the other person's behalf. You'd swear it was organised crime the way you are all reacting. :D

Last year my 80 year old mother spent the bones of five hours stuck in Waterford Regional Hospital because when she went in for her out patients appointment she forgot her purse and mobile phone so didn't have the €4 to exit the car park or the means to phone a phone a friend. She explained to the security guard who brushed her off with it wasn't their problem because the car park is run by a different company. Eventually after three hours she got to see a customer relations type who allowed her to phone her sister on a hospital phone. Her sister is 75 and was on crutches after a hip replacement op and the carer for their 99 year old blind mother. Her sister had to leave their mother and drive in 20 miles to Waterford with the four fecking euro in order for my mother to be able to get her car out of the car park.

I had to go there a few days later and asked to speak to someone to make a complaint about the way they handled the situation. The woman was very nice but gave me a million reasons to justify why it was handled in such a poor manner and that they couldn't be trusting people to come back with €4. I pressed her to agree in the end to ensure that they would rethink the way they handled such cases. I hope they have. Bloody fools. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find this frankly ridiculous and a silly way of (not) doing business...They were willing to loose a sale over a bloody cent..that ya pick up off the street..defo not the "Irish" way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

And that's exactly why you pay more in an Irish supermarket and it's why they're losing massively to the foreign business who can streamline their businesses through rigourous adherance to organisation-wide rules and procedures.

Cherry picking which rules one wishes to adhere to is the irish way alright. Thats the very attitude that got us in to the **** we are now at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

wobbles wrote: »
    Be it 1c or €1 it doesnt matter. People dont realise that if tills are short by anything its a mark on their record.

I was in Lidl the other day and I was due 1c change but the girl said she had none and closed her drawer, I didn't want to push the matter for 1c but if I had read the above story I would have waited for my change.

Plus I've been in Aldi plenty of times and saw loads of kids in school uniforms and no body was hunting them out. Maybe they have a select few who they don't let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

toe_knee wrote: »
    I agree. The person at the till is responsible for the cash in the till at all times and could be audited at any time. If he was down 1c and then an auditor came along and done a spot check on his till he can't tell them well the next person in the Q will pay for it.

Depends on the shop - I know that Celbride lidl didn't admit u-18s, at first at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

I find it strange that the cashier refused to accept the 1c from the other customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

I find it strange that the cashier refused to accept the 1c from the other customer.

I agree. If the customer wanted to be let off the 1c then I can see the cashiers problem. A single cent is still an amount below what is required to complete the purchase, but if the cent is available then why on earth would you not accept the legal tender which is being offered to you to complete the transaction. I agree with the people here who thinks that this is typically irish behaviour, even when we adhere stringently to the rules we manage to f**k things up. Standing firm on 1c...admirable!, not accepting said 1c when offered to you, and as a result, probably losing the entire sale...F**ktarded!!!!!!.

Advertisement