Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase - zero product knowledge

Options
  • 22-05-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Needing something for ground cover I went into Homebase in Bluebell and asked for cotoneaster.

They never heard of it! One of the most common shrubs in these islands.

I then asked if they had any bark mulch. Blank stares!

I'll just have to wait for the cordon to lifted from Dublin City and head into Hackets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Condatis wrote: »
    Needing something for ground cover I went into Homebase in Bluebell and asked for cotoneaster.

I'll just have to wait for the cordon to lifted from Dublin City and head into Hackets.

If you mean Hacketts of Capel St. they closed about a month ago.
    Most of the DIY chains only have one horticulturist, they can't be there all the time I suppose but it is frustrating to be met with blank looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Try asking for Cotton Easter, that's how a lot of people thinks it's pronounced and bark chips. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Condatis wrote: »

In fairness, you can't expect expert knowledge from people working in a hardware store. They a e neither trained nor qualified in gardening. Indeed many are just shelf packers or cashiers and it's unreasonable for them to know much about the products on sale.

Always better to go to a nursery or garden centre.

Advertisement