Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

map.php?iso=euro&data=1&type=1&rnd=1306093517
    Meteoalarm wind alerts for tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Doesn't look good does it! Time to put anything "blowable" inside or tie it Down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Garden furniture safely stored. Gonna be hitting us during morning commute. Be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Gonna have to tie myself to the dog for the walk to school!!:eek:

There will be trees down and branches flying tomorrow morning, so take care out there on your way to work. Looks nasty.Untitled4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Takes a minute to load, animated cloud sequence form the past 24hrs.
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

mamakevf wrote: »
    Takes a minute to load, animated cloud sequence form the past 24hrs.
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html
    That's fascinating to watch the lows develop out in the Atlantic. Grab the slider and move quickly back and forth. Brilliant. Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just had fastest wind speed gust my weather station ever recored (only had it since xmas )
    52.8 km/h (7 Bft)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Just had a power cut there!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just been from Lifford to Ballybofey and back. A few trees down but the road is open again.

Strabane Main Street closed off, someone said that the roof had blown off Supervalu.

Looks to have eased a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Windyhall in Letterkenny impassable

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=119654

Dog wont go for a walk-think he has sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's mental here up the Mountain Top, my poor satellite dish is taking a battering.

Any idea when it's going to ease off?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Doochary to Dungloe road
    © Eoin Mc Garvey

249306_228165293866950_100000204425369_1080947_302811_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

car crash because of winds on the letterkenny to ramelton road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Anemometers where I work recorded 43 m/s yesterday, roughly 100mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I have never seen anything like the windburn on the greenery in west Donegal. Everything green that was in the wind's path last week is now brown or black. The bracken tips at Tramore/Rosbeg are black, along with the stinging nettles, hazel scrub, sycamore, blackberry branches, even hawthorn hedges. So whatever hadn't already suffered from the frost, the drought and then the wildfires got its head burnt off by salt winds coming from the opposite direction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I was just logging in here to post exactly the same thing. Inishowen is pretty bad too. Hedges on one side are brown and the other side are still green. Mad.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

Trees and bushes are the same in my parents back garden. Never saw it happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have a little apple tree at the bottom of the garden and I see it has turned brown on one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Would have to agree with all the above comments. The damage that has been done is unbelievable.

I planted trees about 5 years ago which had been doing well but now they have no leaves left on them at all.

I have never seen the likes of this before in my lifetime. I think there was a storm in 87 which brought down a lot of trees but I dont remember the burning which has happened this time.

I think the cause of the burn is that the leaves were only developing and so were very tender.

Another interesting point is the total lack of any coverage from Rte etc. BBC ni did lots of reports on the storm but RTE only have a canary when it is in Dublin or the south that there is a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sure do you not remember that the emergency place they have in place for any major natural or terrorist events they don't have a map of Donegal?

well they said they did... in a back office somewhere.

we're forgotten about up here. we should stop paying taxes up here. see if they take notice of us then

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I think it was to do with the new lush growth, no time to firm up. I wonder what will happen to the bracken. Will it be killed off for the year? On Dawros it was interesting to note that the tundra group plants, the juniper and some of the tiny willows, were completely unaffected. Small narrow leaves.

Maybe Donegal's plants should adopt the old saying,
    "N'er cast your clout till May is out". Something about vests and keeping them on till June.

5866280222_1156836a1d.jpg

Wind damage to our red Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I reckon the scorching of leaves was caused by salt in the wind, our windows had a pure white scum on them after the storm so i drew my finger across it and it was pure salt! But i'm sure there was other contributory factors like the dry weather we had early in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Theory put forward in the paper today that it was acid rain.

The ash cloud from Iceland was hanging over the North. The sulphur from that mixed with rain formed sulphuric acid.

Possible, I s'pose

Would the sulfuric acid not have affected the whole tree and not just the windward side. I think it was a combination of salt in the air and windburn. The leaves were very young and probably more prone to damage at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Someone round our way was trying to tell me it was radiation from Fukushima (sp?)!!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement