Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GrapplePalooza 2011- The Hunt for Ireland's Best Grappler!

• 22-05-2011 8:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

It's been spoken about for long enough! It's time to find Ireland's Greatest Grappler, and I know how!

Grapplepalooza will encompass 2 events:
    • A daytime submissions tournament for novices-advanced
    • An elite invite only evening tournament

The day event will be an IBJJF rules NoGi tournament, with categories for novices, inters and advanced competitors.

The evening event will be a 16 man Elite nogi grappling tournament involving Ireland's greatest grapplers!

I am currently probing various individuals and getting their interest in the Elite tournament, and I will announce competitors as they confirm.

There will be a big ass trophy for the winner!

Oh and a grand. Did I mention they'll also win a grand? That's euro now, not yen. few bob for the runner up too. I'll work on getting one of those big cheques.

So perhaps you fancy your chances, or maybe you know someone who does. Contact me on baz.oglesby@facebook.com

Saturday September 10th is GrapplePalooza day!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

Sound like a grand idea altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Yeah I came up with it all by myself after hearing other people come up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

fairplay to ya for putting this on. didnt think it was actually gonna happen. as a fan of irish bjj you couldnt ask for more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Barry = ultimate hero!

Is it all Irish residents or just Irish passport holders.

da-bres wrote: »
    Barry = ultimate hero!

Is it all Irish residents or just Irish passport holders.

and so the debate begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

Barry, best man for the job after two brilliant tournaments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Deadly! I am all over this!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You could've called it Rollapalooza. Just sayin', is all.

I am putting a firm and concrete residency rule in place. Just FYI, every rule is fairly arbitrary in any case, but I have to draw a line somewhere.

1) If you are an Irish passport holder, you automatically qualify for the 16 man tournament.
    2) If you are a British Passport holder whose place of birth on your passport shows a county on in Northern Ireland, you automatically qualify.
    3) If you are not an Irish passport holder, but have been resident on the island of Ireland for no less than 36 months, then you qualify subject to proof of that residency.

Rule 3) is in place to allow those who have made a significant contribution to grappling in Ireland to compete even though they may have been born elsewhere,

I hope that clears everything up. Don't bother debating this as it's hard and fast.

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

Excellent concept barry.

The very best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Guys check out grapplepalooza.wordpress.com for updates.

More news on this coming soon including details of the daytime tournament which I'm working hard on this week.

Maybe people can help here.

I'm looking to get in contact with Chris Bowes in the UK. Also Tony Souza from Kokoro may meet the residency requirements but I'm not sure how long he's been here! Can anyone shed any light on that before I issue the invite?

Shaping up. 3 more names to announce real soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Maybe people can help here.

I'm looking to get in contact with Chris Bowes in the UK.

If it's the same one who's a purple belt he trains with us. I'll ask him to get in touch.

Some one contact mr. carmody! :)

Clive wrote: »
    If it's the same one who's a purple belt he trains with us. I'll ask him to get in touch.

The same Chris Bowes who has been competing all over England? Please do.

Anyone any word on Tony Souza? Maybe I have the wrong email address for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

The same Chris Bowes who has been competing all over England? Please do.

Anyone any word on Tony Souza? Maybe I have the wrong email address for him.

Yeah that's the same Chris Bowe, he trains with us, except for when he's taking over Darragh's classes at Next Gen while Darragh is away. He has very good Jiujitsu and is a monster of a guy, nice guy though! If I see him before Saturday I'll tell him but it's likely that the soonest I'll be talking to him is Saturday.

He comes from Braulio's gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I am currently probing various individuals

:eek:

I should see Chris tonight or tomorrow night, I'll say it to him, but some of the other lads will probably see him first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

I believe Tony Souza has gone travelling,not sure for how long

DB888 wrote: »
    I believe Tony Souza has gone travelling,not sure for how long

Travelling as in holiday or extended?

I hope to be announcing some sponsorship of the event and confirmed venue next week. In the meantime I'll be getting around some of the clubs as I believe this is a great opportunity to promote the sport in Ireland. I'm putting this event on but I'd like to involve all of the clubs and get their support. If all goes to plan, the daytime event will be an opportunity to not just compete but promote your club and the sport and training lifestyle we all love.

Oh yeah and I have a lot more competitors I'm just drip feeding you all :)

Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Travelling as in holiday or extended?

I got the vibe that he was only here temporarily. Has he even been in the country three years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

I got the idea it was a couple of months.I was training there on his last night and he said he said he will be travelling for a couple of months.The lads from Legends in Bray could maybe solve this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

Any word on the competitors so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I heard they're in negotiations with Chris Leddy to compete as Ireland's only world championship medalist.

http://grapplepalooza.wordpress.com/

Arek Sternalski
    Tom King
    Darragh O’Conaill

so far........

I heard they're in negotiations with Chris Leddy to compete as Ireland's only world championship medalist.

Can I be a bit pedantic and point put that the novice competition is not (for good reason) part of the mundials, and isn't there already a purple belt with a mundial medal?

Who would people like to see compete? Has anybody been asked and ruled themselves out?

What about offering a place to the winners of advanced brackets in the upcoming comps, there is a nogi comp at the munster open

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

r_obric wrote: »
    Who would people like to see compete? Has anybody been asked and ruled themselves out?

What about offering a place to the winners of advanced brackets in the upcoming comps, there is a nogi comp at the munster open

Baryy has asked/invited many people, he's just drip feeding us the acceptances.
    Also i think it is his intention to have some "qualifiers" from the no-Gi competition held on the same day

there is definitley enough good guys out there, but i wouldnt be surprised if people are been to modest to put their names down. qualifiers would be cool but i think you should probably keep it to one or two cause the standard i think could drop a little.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the interest.

I'm neck deep in this now and I'm sorry if I can't update things as often as I'd like. I'm trying not just to make a tournament but a celebration of BJJ in Ireland with Grapplepalooza. To that end I'm in discussion with other entities about how best to run both the Best Grappler tournament and also the daytime tournament. So if I'm quiet it's because I have lots to do before I go announcing anything!

Thanks again,

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

im from legemds bray as far as im aware tony should be back in about two weeks ,and as far as i know he should qualify :)

Good work Tadix!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Does anyone know if Sebastian Torres or Andre Ramos qualify?

I think Andre qualifies yes, it's been around 3 years since he came here and started training in SBG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

jitz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Sebastian Torres or Andre Ramos qualify?

Sebastian has been living in Ireland for a number of years so i'm sure he qualifies. Actually, he'd be my pick to win it.

• Advertisement

not going to make a pick until all are announced but chris bowe is certainly up there.

da-bres wrote: »
    not going to make a pick until all are announced but chris bowe is certainly up there.

Paddy carmody imo...if he's in

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Hopefully Barry can get these two guys involved as well, Chris Bowe is a beast. Going to be some awesome competitors and great matches to look forward too!

Arek Sternalski is a good bet too!

Chris is such a great grappler. He pulls out something great anytime I see him roll.

Really looking forward to this now, weekend booked off work :)

• Advertisement

Get Gunnar Nelson to enter, perfect warmup for the ADCC!!

any more guys gonna be announced soon???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Just heard an ad for something called Castlepalooza playing on the radio in the next room. The sound wasn't very clear and for a brief moment I thought Barry had gone all out with promoting this thing.

Waiting for some stuff to fall into place and some other items. I'll have some more news soon.

Advertisement