Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese restaurants

Options
  • 22-05-2011 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

I know there is a thread going on restaurants in Waterford City but there is a long list to get through. I'm heading down next weekend with a few friends and we will be heading out for a meal on the Saturday night.

We are staying close to the quays.I would be great full for advice on a nice Chinese restaurant not too far from some decent pubs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arthur Scargill

I recommend the Jade Palace across from the Tower Hotel best in town and not far from the pubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I like the Jade Palace, but it's a slightly more traditional restaurant. I've always enjoyed my meals there.

You could try Limeleaf which is on Henrietta Street, just off the Quays. It's very stylish inside, but is more Thai, or general Asian in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

dudara wrote: »
    I like the Jade Palace, but it's a slightly more traditional restaurant. I've always enjoyed my meals there.

You could try Limeleaf which is on Henrietta Street, just off the Quays. It's very stylish inside, but is more Thai, or general Asian in style.

Limeleaf has been closed for the past 3 or 4 weeks ! it was always dead in there , the have a new sign up now says merchants bar and grill but nothing on when its opening , id say they are going to jump on the band wagon of the succes of mclearys and try emulate them or something very similiar.

Op if u like Thai try Sabai on the mall , or would you like indian Id reccomend cafe goa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

friends highly recommend Wongsons

http://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-wongsons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No question here for me,

I'm afraid I don't know the name of it but it's the "new" place by manor village. their early bird is great value at like €18 with loads of choice in each course.

Limeleaf is also a good option though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Jade palace is tops to be honest and central across from tower hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

^ Does anyone know what the name of the place mentioned above so i can check it out?

I'm not into Thai or Indian food at all, Chinese seems to be the safest option for all..

@ Arthur Scargill -Is Jade Palace within walking distance to the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

You might try the Chinese on High Street, just up and around the corner from the Limeleaf, which is now closed. It's called Kashmir Tandoori and it's very reasonably priced.

Oops, this is an Indian restaurant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Thanks all, I'm going to book the Jade Palace ..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jambo wrote: »
    Limeleaf has been closed for the past 3 or 4 weeks ! it was always dead in there , the have a new sign up now says merchants bar and grill but nothing on when its opening , id say they are going to jump on the band wagon of the succes of mclearys and try emulate them or something very similiar.

Op if u like Thai try Sabai on the mall , or would you like indian Id reccomend cafe goa

Pity about Limeleaf. I suppose it was suffering for a while. Sabai is also really nice, but obviously not Chinese.

Enjoy the Jade Palace

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Imperial Garden is the one on Cord Rd. Some days it lovely other times not so good. Depends what chef is on i guess. Today was a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Imperial Garden is the one on Cord Rd. Some days it lovely other times not so good. Depends what chef is on i guess. Today was a bad day.

Sorry this is where I was referring too. If you haven't booked yet the two times I have eaten there I would sat it's considerably nicer then the jade palace although to be fair Jade Palace is lovely too. Really pity about limeleaf.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Been there twice, fantastic place to eat I have to say. Had a takeaway once, just found it more spicy then but still gorgeous. Perhaps I was lucky? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

dudara wrote: »

Limeleaf is closed - new steakhouse opening there next week

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

Plus one. I find that some days the food is good there, and then others not so good.

Waterford is not great for Chinese. There is no consistency in the food/restaurants

You can't go passed Cafe Goa for a great Indian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

ziedth wrote: »
    No question here for me,

I'm afraid I don't know the name of it but it's the "new" place by manor village. their early bird is great value at like €18 with loads of choice in each course.

Limeleaf is also a good option though.
    only thing is its not very near the quays, pubs etc. Id have to agree that its yummy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I have had numerous takeaways and two sit-down meals in Imperial Garden and I have yet to be dissapointed as some posters were but I guess it's the luck of the draw. It is a class above any of the competitors imo. Downstairs in the Jade Palace is good quality aswell for a Chinese and a few pints but can be notoriously slow at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deisesun

Is happy Garden still any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Wongsongs is unreal, always empty for some reason!

20 euro gets you a sit down buffet of starters and main courses made to order (You get a list of sauces you can choose) and the starters are lovely too.

Anyone going for the buffet get the platter to start between everyone. Very nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Think Wongsons is closed now :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Deisesun wrote: »

Dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Think Wongsons is closed now :/

Big shame it closed, thought food was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

Dirt.

I always thought the happy gardens was nice. it has lasted a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Deisesun wrote: »

Dirt.

Bit harsh IMO. Have started getting food here since Wongsongs closed and think its lovely. Takeaway Portions are massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I got a take away there recently, (posted about it in restaurant thread) and it was the worse take away I've ever got.

Advertisement