Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation-Postgrad 2011

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, i've been reading around some of the other threads on this topic but alot of the answers seem to be all over the place/conflicting/from a couple of years ago. Basically i'm moving to Dublin to do a postgrad in September (from the North), and want to move into the UCD accommodation to meet people. Because i'll be postgrad i don't really want to live with first years (been there done that!), not to say i don't enjoy drinking and parties but not to the extent new students will be at it! I've read Glenomena is where alot of postgrad students live...but then in another thread people comment that it's actually full of first years! i'm absolutely clueless on this subject so if anyone has any advice on this situation it would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I'm in the same boat. I'm starting my MA in September and can't decide where to live. I'm hoping to live on-campus as I've had a few really bad experiences living off-campus. I'm going to apply to Glenomena I think , as it offers rooms where you can live the full year (Summer 2012 included), and also because rooms are ensuite.

Like you I am worried when I see people say lots of first years live there. But I read that when you are applying you can see who else is in your house so at least you can hopefully avoid first years that way. I don't mind the odd party also, but I'm not paying €15-20,000 to do my MA so someone can turn my house into party central!

Hopefully if you can see who else is in the house, this situation can be avoided!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

Yea that's what i'm hoping for...it's good that you can check what year the others in your apartment will be in, though i think that it would be so much handier if they just had designated accomm for ones who are a little bit older and NEED to be at least a little more studious! I think the CAO students are already able to book their accommodation...hopefully that means by the time we can get on to book our rooms next month the younger ones will be sorted and we can try our best to live with people closest to our own age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

If you apply for glenomena try go for an apartment in either houses 9 or 10; I live in house 9 and think the majority are either postgrads or final year students. Gets noisy from time to time but definitely not as noisy as other areas on campus :)

That sounds good. I'm 23 so I do want a bit of atmosphere about the place but just want to know if I shut my bedroom door I should be able to get a bit of study done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭mc1990

My apartment is quiet enough; there's two MAs, one first year of a graduate course, one phD and two final year undergrads, can study in my room if I feel like it. But there's also an atmosphere so the place isn't completely dead :) It's definitely an advantage being able to look at who else is living in the apartment before you book, I know I wouldn't be able to live with first years doing an MA!

Thanks for the info :D will definately help me when making my decision! i had heard that houses 9 and 10 would be my best options before this so now you've confirmed that for me i'll try to get into one of those houses...hopefully it will be the right balance between work & play-want to do well in school but also want to have fun as my last year as a student!

Nothing against younger years having their fun of course but i don't even think i could keep up with them anymore lol Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Glenomena does have first years, a lot of them.
    Yes, next year you will be able to see (8 July application far as I know) who is in the apt, but keep min mind you may be the first to choose it, and 5 first year friends may choose that apt the day after you do.

Postgrads and Freshers ending up in the same apartment has been a HUGE problem this year with a lot of friction but they just won't seperate them.
    I think its logical to put postgrads in 9 and 10, because 9 and 10 stay for the full 50 weeks over summer etc, and are more out of the way, get less noise, and leave the houses 1-8 mixed.
    But that would be logical, and UCD is running screaming away from anything logical and these days.

Glenomena used to be all final year/postgrad, but their excessive prices caused a demand slump forcing them to open things up.
    Also for some reason the policy is to be biased against continuing (2nd and 3rd years as opposed to freshers and finals) students theres only around 250 places for these across ALL res next year, so what you wind up with is two extremes: immature children who are still in the phase where drink and being away from mammy is a really big deal...and cranky postgrads who, by the way they act and talk about said freshers, you'd swear were never 18 themselves.

With that in mind I'd like to make a simple suggestion...postgrads on here band together, someone start a thread and say "hey im a male/female postgrad lets all at least be in the same apts and all go online at the same time and choose the same apts in 9 and 10".
    That way your in control and you are separating yourselves from freshers and have less hassle.
    Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emacdonald

I am in the same boat right now. I'm coming to Ireland from the US to get my masters and I'm trying to decide what to do for housing. I'd like to live on campus to meet more people however it looks like it is just going to be too expensive for me. With the number of students that go to the school and the limited amount of housing available there must be a lot who live off campus in the area. I've checked out daft.ie though it seems most things are still just listed for summer rentals. Any advice for good areas off campus where I can save money but also be near other students? I will be going to Smurfit so that kind of has given me a general area to look in but if I'm going to be in the middle of residential/families it might be worth it to dish out the money for on campus housing.

-Erin

With that in mind I'd like to make a simple suggestion...postgrads on here band together, someone start a thread and say "hey im a male/female postgrad lets all at least be in the same apts and all go online at the same time and choose the same apts in 9 and 10".
    That way your in control and you are separating yourselves from freshers and have less hassle.
    Simple

That's a really good idea and one I'd like to pursue. If anyone else is interested in living together either reply on this thread or send me a PM. I think it makes sense for postgrads to try and stick together. I'm female and 23, doing the MA in Library and Information Studies. I know a few mods on Boards who can vouch for my sanity ;) and that I've lived with. If anyone is interested in trying to organise an apartment, let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Simple

I like this idea. Is anyone up for it? I'm planning on doing a postgrad and I'm looking for accommodation so...

Sounds like a good idea to me...i'm 22, female, don't mind who i live with (male/female/where people are from etc isn't an issue for me!) as long as they're sane & friendly :)

just curious the west wing, what kind of bad experience did you have living off campus? I've heard that mentioned a few times and it makes me a little wary...

Hey!

Where do I start??? Well the biggest problem for me was always money. People not paying bills on time or not giving money towards bills. One person stole money that was meant to be for bills (that one put me out €150!!:mad:)

Also just the hassle when it came to ordering stuff like heating oil for the house. That always caused an argument as some wanted to pay hardly anything towards getting oil, and because VAT is high on oil we would end up with little actual oil in the tank, and so it would run out in about a month and we would be in the cold again! Others would be complaining that someone was using too much electricity and would only want pay what they used:confused: Totally unworkable!

That's why I like living on campus. You don't have to follow people around for money because it's up to the accommodation office. Also in the house I lived in both the washing machine and the fridge went and it took ages to be replaced. At least on-campus there is someone on hand to fix it.

I know some people have a great time living off-campus but for me it was a nightmare!

Well I'm 27, male, doing a MSc in Computer Science. I'm looking for a place with in reasonable distance of UCD with broadband connection and a room of my own. People I'm looking to live with need to be up for setting ground rules, and not in the habit of getting pissy when someone tells them they're making a mess as I've experienced in the past.

Well I'm 27, male, doing a MSc in Computer Science. I'm looking for a place with in reasonable distance of UCD with broadband connection and a room of my own. People I'm looking to live with need to be up for setting ground rules, and not in the habit of getting pissy when someone tells them they're making a mess as I've experienced in the past.
    By the sounds of it, you are looking to live off campus? I'm hoping to live on-campus in Glenomena. If you decide to go with the on-campus option I'd be happy to share a house with you.

By the sounds of it, you are looking to live off campus? I'm hoping to live on-campus in Glenomena. If you decide to go with the on-campus option I'd be happy to share a house with you.

Off campus, on campus I'm easy. Okay so where do we go from here?

Off campus, on campus I'm easy. Okay so where do we go from here?

Cool. Well applications for accommodation open on June 8th, so what we could do is pick a house and apartment (for example - House 10, App. 6. Not sure if this is what they are called) and then when we each log in, go to the agreed house and pick our rooms. Then we should be all together, one big bunch of happy postgrads!:D

So does anyone who currently lives in Glenomena want to give us a heads up on any apartments we should avoid in Houses 9 & 10? I know a few when I lived in UL had quite a bit of wear and tear!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Donegal_11

Hi Guys, I'm in the same boat but can't apply on the 8th because my exams results aren't published until the 9th! :( Did yas already receive your UCD student numbers to apply online?

Donegal_11 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm in the same boat but can't apply on the 8th because my exams results aren't published until the 9th! :( Did yas already receive your UCD student numbers to apply online?

Yes I have a student number as I've already been accepted.

• Advertisement

Ya if you have accepted your offer online you should get an email giving you your student number.

Thanks! Mine's was only conditional, silly though because I only have to pass my current degree! I'll e-mail them proof on the 9th but they'll probably take ages to distribute the number! I take it yas already paid fees then?

I've paid the €500 deposit for the fees when I accepted the offer. You pay the rest when you start. I'm sure the apartment we chose will not have been filled by the 9th so I'm sure you'll be able to get a room in it if you want.

Oh right, yeah I paid the same amount.. Yeah, hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get a student number and a pin.. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ConnieB

Hey there,

I was wondering would I be able to hop on the band wagon and join ye guys in yer idea for postgrads joining together? I am male, 24 and moving to dublin in september to do an Msc in Biotechnology at UCD.

I feel the same way as yourselves, I want the benefits of living on campus without so much of the noise. This is exactly the kind of set up I was looking for.

Cheers

Ya sure can't see why not? We can decide next week what house/apartment we all want to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 insux

Guys incase anyone is interested I have 2 rooms to rent (1 room includes a separate office) when from August in the quiet end of temple bar. PM me for more details, I'm working in UCD, male 28

Works out around the same as on campus accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ConnieB

Brilliant, il keep an eye out so

If anyone might be interested in organizing something similar but off campus let me know! I'd like to live with some social people but not have to deal with on campus prices / restrictions. I'm thinking of looking around the Merrion / Stillorgan area. :)

-Erin

• Advertisement

Hi Erin, I may be interested.. However, I'm going to Cape Cod for the summer so I'd be a little weary of leasing a house which I won't have seen because I won't be back in Ireland until September 1st.. A friend of mine studies at Trinity and says that an individual should expect to pay €500 per month then bills on top.. (That's for 3 sharing).

When you take everything into conisderation Campus would work out as cheap and a lot more convenient.

Advertisement