Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation-Postgrad 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emacdonald

ahh the Cape! I'm from Boston so I know the area well.

It's interesting... when I look on daft.ie at renting a room in a shared apt the prices seemed to be between 350-450 euro per person. As soon as I look at renting the apt as a whole it jumps up to around 500 euro per person. It's still a decent amount cheaper than the 635 a month on campus. I don't know. I would definitely like to live on campus but I guess it's time to sit down and make a pros/cons list and figure it out before the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Donegal_11 wrote: »
    Hi Erin, I may be interested.. However, I'm going to Cape Cod for the summer so I'd be a little weary of leasing a house which I won't have seen because I won't be back in Ireland until September 1st.. A friend of mine studies at Trinity and says that an individual should expect to pay €500 per month then bills on top.. (That's for 3 sharing).

When you take everything into conisderation Campus would work out as cheap and a lot more convenient.

Campus is extortionate and is in no way worth the money you pay for it.
    There will be plenty of houses that will cost less than 500 a month each too when most leases are up in the middle of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Donegal_11

emacdonald wrote: »
    ahh the Cape! I'm from Boston so I know the area well.

It's interesting... when I look on daft.ie at renting a room in a shared apt the prices seemed to be between 350-450 euro per person. As soon as I look at renting the apt as a whole it jumps up to around 500 euro per person. It's still a decent amount cheaper than the 635 a month on campus. I don't know. I would definitely like to live on campus but I guess it's time to sit down and make a pros/cons list and figure it out before the 8th.

Cool, I'm visiting a friend in Boston for a few days! Yeah, I must ask my friend whether prices have come down but I remember her saying last year that I should expect to pay €500.. They visited a few places and they wern't nice at all, even they place they got in the end wasn't great.. Plus they had to take the lease from the start of August!

Internet, Heat, Electricity, Light, TV licence, these are all extra bills.. I'll def know by the middle of June where I want to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

If anyone might be interested in organizing something similar but off campus let me know! I'd like to live with some social people but not have to deal with on campus prices / restrictions. I'm thinking of looking around the Merrion / Stillorgan area. :)

-Erin

I'd be up for this also. What kind of restrictions could we expect on campus?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Donegal. I have looked at that before but unfortunately it doesn't really sway me one way or another. I also don't understand why you would spend 800 euro more food living off campus than on? Also does anyone know an average price for bills in an apartment? I'm sure there can be a huge range but any examples would be great.

And CerebralCortex from what I've gathered from other posts on the board the reason why there are so many first years living in Glenomena is because they became very strict with having guests over and registered after a certain time. That combined with the price just caused most postgrads to find housing off campus instead.

Thanks for the link Donegal. I have looked at that before but unfortunately it doesn't really sway me one way or another. I also don't understand why you would spend 800 euro more food living off campus than on? Also does anyone know an average price for bills in an apartment? I'm sure there can be a huge range but any examples would be great.

And CerebralCortex from what I've gathered from other posts on the board the reason why there are so many first years living in Glenomena is because they became very strict with having guests over and registered after a certain time. That combined with the price just caused most postgrads to find housing off campus instead.

No problem, yeah that doesn't make sense!

My friend in Ballsbridge pays the following:
    Light, heat and electricity between 3 people ~ €100 per week, that is max.
    O2 have a broadband deal for student, only €10 per month.
    Food = €25 per week, depends on how economical you are.

The problem I would see with off-campus would be perhaps having to pay for things you don't want to use.. For example, a TV licence is approx. €150 per year, just an example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you don't want to use it, don't have a TV. And TV licenses are, afaik, required if you have a TV in an on-campus residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Raphael wrote: »
    If you don't want to use it, don't have a TV. And TV licenses are, afaik, required if you have a TV in an on-campus residence.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

(tears stream down face)

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh...tv license...oh thats classic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Donegal_11 wrote: »
    No problem, yeah that doesn't make sense!

My friend in Ballsbridge pays the following:
    Light, heat and electricity between 3 people ~ €100 per week, that is max.
    O2 have a broadband deal for student, only €10 per month.
    Food = €25 per week, depends on how economical you are.

The problem I would see with off-campus would be perhaps having to pay for things you don't want to use.. For example, a TV licence is approx. €150 per year, just an example!

Are you talking about dongles? You're better off with actual broadband! Better value for money.

• Advertisement

I have a few UCDers crashing in my apartment for a few days and we were discussing on campus/off campus living and they've come very close to convincing me to live on campus. It will save me some hassel and since meeting new people is one of my top priorities (after studying for my degree of course!) I think it may be worth it to stay on campus at least for the first semester. I would definitely but up for choosing an apartment with other grad students though!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I have a few UCDers crashing in my apartment for a few days and we were discussing on campus/off campus living and they've come very close to convincing me to live on campus. It will save me some hassel and since meeting new people is one of my top priorities (after studying for my degree of course!) I think it may be worth it to stay on campus at least for the first semester. I would definitely but up for choosing an apartment with other grad students though!
    Well I'm definitely staying on-campus so if anyone else wants to live with me just let me know and we can sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Glenomena2011

Just keep in mind: Only international students can book a single semester. Irish UCD students have to book both.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Doing a masters at UCD from September, wondering about a few things viz accommodation.

Did my undergrad in a different college so know little about UCD and don't know anyone studying there. As a postgrad was thinking more of somewhere off campus, preferably with other UCDers and postgrads even better. Would be looking at a 12 month lease Sept 2011 - Sept 2012 possibly.

Is it practical to live in the city centre, or would you be better off living out near the place, or even going on campus as a newbie but postgrad?

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Just a quick update. So far 4 of us have decided to get an apartment on-campus in Glenomena. Applications for residence on-campus open tomorrow so if anyone else wants to join our merry little group please pm me as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ailsk

interested in joinin the group...28 n doin h.dip in psychology. bit anxious bout gettin thrown in with rowdy 1st yrs...

ailsk wrote: »
    interested in joinin the group...28 n doin h.dip in psychology. bit anxious bout gettin thrown in with rowdy 1st yrs...

I thought you were saying theres 28 of you doing the h.dip and lookin for an apt, I was about to say theres only 6 rooms to an apt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eleni_som

hey guys!i'm new here. i would like to ask you whether you know if there are apartments or rooms for couples in the residences?
    I'm going to ucd with my boyfriend for postgr so things are tough regarding accommodation.
    If someone else is willing to live with us off campus, feel free to contact. :)

And by the way, is SIS WEB still not available?

hey guys!i'm new here. i would like to ask you whether you know if there are apartments or rooms for couples in the residences?

Couples can book together, but for the sake of your room mates, who even if you try not to you will drive insane, and your relationship, dont.

I'm going to ucd with my boyfriend for postgr so things are tough regarding accommodation.

Get apt across from each other (the next closest number say)

Couples can book together, but for the sake of your room mates, who even if you try not to you will drive insane, and your relationship, dont.

Get apt across from each other (the next closest number say)
    what do you mean??
    So aren't there double bedrooms?? If not, it's difficult to stay there??

Does anyone know about how much you pay for bills off campus?

• Advertisement

what do you mean??
    So aren't there double bedrooms?? If not, it's difficult to stay there??

I assumed you meant can couples live in the same apartment not the same bedroom, same bedroom is an even more disastrous idea IMO, and I was advising you based on past experience of living with them, for the sake of your room mates and relationship not to live with the bf unless your at engagement stage or something like that, I've seen it ruin relationships and piss off a lot of room mates.

I was suggesting if you want to live close to each other to pick apts across the hall from each other, so if your in Roebuck house 1 apt 3 he could be in house 1 apt 2.

There are still some rooms in belgrove where there are two beds to a room but I'm not sure what the numbers for those rooms are maybe someone can enlighten me.
    I hate "shoulda" comments but isn't it kinda late to enquire now?
    You could always call Belgrove Tel: +353 1 716 8777 and ask what the numbers are for the rooms that still have two beds, but I can't advise you strongly enough against living with your bf, esp in the same room, you will end up wanting to kill each other and your room mates will want to kill you.

Does anyone know about how much you pay for bills off campus?

OFF campus? well that depends on how much electricity phone etc you use and as for bin charges that depends on how sane (South Dublin CC) or insane (DLRCOCO) your local councils system is.

Generally paying bills if you pay a fixed amount every week (20 or 10) off every bill the company leaves you alone even if your a little off the full amount due by end of month, as long as your being consistent in payments and don't fall behind continually.

So, if we live off campus (which will probably happen because we don't wanna cause problems or suffer with the others), do you believe it will cost much more? I assume that the difference will be almost 100-150 euro. Anyway, how much do you pay monthly in the residences?

Thanks, though, for your information. I'll contact Belgrove.

Where would you suggest that we rent an apartment in Dublin? How come and u know so much? Are u from Dublin? What r u studying?

Thnx!

So, if we live off campus (which will probably happen because we don't wanna cause problems or suffer with the others),
    Not everyones alike you may have no issues, but I've known several couples who are college aged who lived together on campus.
    Only one of them did it without having problems in their relationship or with roomies.
    Its not good to live with bf/gf imo you need your space it could really damage a relationship, I think its an insane idea.

do you believe it will cost much more? I assume that the difference will be almost 100-150 euro. Anyway, how much do you pay monthly in the residences?

Fees are listed here:

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/studentpages/fees20112012/#d.en.78159
    Residences are not monthly payment they come in three segments, if you divide it up it works out at about €125 a week, you can easily get cheaper outside res rent wise

People often unfairly compare UCD Res Accomidation fees to Rent in the private sector, its about as useful a comparason as comparing the public and private sectors in general (though that never stops anyone..) its apples and oranges.
    The UCD res fees are not just rent they include insurance, waste charges/recycling your bills like ESB all at a flat rate regardless of how much you use. Its definitely quite expensive but when you keep in mind your bills are fixed it makes it so much easier to budget when its one flat rate rather than a diffrent rent payment and 5 different bills from different companies where the amount due shifts month to month.

People often complain about the gates and how restrictive its gotten but one of the more positive changes lately has been introducing this flat payment and getting rid of the old card meter system.

Where would you suggest that we rent an apartment in Dublin? How come and u know so much? Are u from Dublin? What r u studying?
    I've lived on campus 3 years.

Rent close to the college, just because its Dublin 4 does not mean the rent will be through the roof, you'd be surprised how cheap it can be.

First of all, I wanna thank u for your help! There's no way for me and my boyfriend to ruin our relationship, as we're 4 years together and we've learned not to pay attention to others :). So if we live off campus it's definitely because we want privacy and to avoid noise and things like that.

As it seems it's more convenient to rent a house rather than live in campus. Since we are 2 we will be sharing the bills and the rent, so it's easier..

Every apartment i've seen is in Dublin 6. Dublin 14 and Dublin 16. Are these far from UCD? But u say that Dublin 4 is better. Will we be able to find a house easy in Dublin 4 cause we are gonna spend the first night at a hotel. When u say cheap what do u mean? 500-700 per month? What do the bills include? Electricity, Bins, and Oil? Cause in our country we pay for the water.

Do you have any clue about where we could find another couple to rent?

So, what do u study?

eleni_som wrote: »
    First of all, I wanna thank u for your help! There's no way for me and my boyfriend to ruin our relationship, as we're 4 years together and we've learned not to pay attention to others :). So if we live off campus it's definitely because we want privacy and to avoid noise and things like that.

As it seems it's more convenient to rent a house rather than live in campus. Since we are 2 we will be sharing the bills and the rent, so it's easier..

Every apartment i've seen is in Dublin 6. Dublin 14 and Dublin 16. Are these far from UCD? But u say that Dublin 4 is better. Will we be able to find a house easy in Dublin 4 cause we are gonna spend the first night at a hotel. When u say cheap what do u mean? 500-700 per month? What do the bills include? Electricity, Bins, and Oil? Cause in our country we pay for the water.

Do you have any clue about where we could find another couple to rent?

So, what do u study?

Look up the word Hubris, I wish you every success in your relationship and hope it stays strong, but the universe punishes people for cockyness and complacency so be careful :D don't take anything for granted.

You pay for water through your taxes at the moment in Ireland but there will soon come a very expensive charges system where you'll be hit with charges for everything above your morning shower.
    So I advise you to get used to conserving water.

The way Ireland is going you will soon have a blinking levy where you pay 5euro to the state every time you blink.

Few houses use oil, most use gas central heating here, Dublin 4 is the postcode ucd is in but its surrounded by other postcodes

dublin_map.gif

Bins depends on your local council, you may just have a simple system where you buy a sticker and pay each time you put your bin out, with recycling free (after a flat yearly charge of around 80 or so) or you may be in a council area like Dun Laoghaire where its a complicated mess, a mix of flat charges, weight/volume charges, estimated charges etc

If your coming to Ireland just be aware our govt will try to rape your income for anything they can find, they'll just stop short of the finance minister turning you upside down and shaking you to see what falls out of your pocket, its an expensive place to live so budget carefully.

Your bills are:
    • Phone (don't get a landline its not worth the cost just have a mobile phone)
    • TV (subscription to the state tv station is manditory and they'll put you in prison if you dont pay it, thats if you have a tv its around €170 a year)
    • Electricity
    • Gas
    • Rent

Rent depends where you are, could be 1500 spilt 2/3 ways or less, depends on where you pick, shop around there are cheap high quality places out there.

MyHome.ie or Daft.ie are best websites

Are u talking to me about taxes and the goverment? I am from Greece. Things here are much worse..

I haven't completely understood what u have written.. I guess i'm not used to your language yet :) or the way u live in Ireland. Specifically, could you explain what u mean by these?

1)
    Bins depends on your local council, you may just have a simple system where you buy a sticker and pay each time you put your bin out, with recycling free (after a flat yearly charge of around 80 or so) or you may be in a council area like Dun Laoghaire where its a complicated mess, a mix of flat charges, weight/volume charges, estimated charges etc

2)
    Rent depends where you are, could be 1500 spilt 2/3 ways or less, depends on where you pick, shop around there are cheap high quality places out there.

I've seen these websites..That's where i saw tha prices for renting a house.. And last, how much does an ordinary student spend monthly?

Are u talking to me about taxes and the goverment? I am from Greece. Things here are much worse..

Thats ok then, just so you know, its expensive, and you don't get much in return for those taxes, the public services are very poor.

1)

Different county councils have different methods of payment for waste and recycling, some are very simple, and if you recycle most of what you produce you won't pay much, others are very complicated and have flat charges in the mix.

I've seen these websites..That's where i saw tha prices for renting a house.. And last, how much does an ordinary student spend monthly?

I don't know of a specific average, it all depends.

I guess i'll find out soon..

Thanx a lot! For now, I'm ok! If i need anything else, i'll post again.

Anyway, just in case no one noticed, if there's a couple looking for another one in order to share the rent (off campus) let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Decided that, due to funds mainly, campus is out. So will be looking for a place off campus. Won't be living with a couple (I agree wholeheartedly with supernutrino on that score!) So if anyone knows of some postgrads relatively close to my age (22) looking for a housemate let me know:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

I'm in the same boat, doing my Masters in UCD in Sept and coming from a different college and don't really know a whole lot about UCD on-campus accommodation or accommodation in the area!

Debating over on/off campus. The cost on campus is off putting though!

Advertisement