Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone fix a busted lock on a patio door lately

• 22-05-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Friend has asked me to call over tomorrow to try and unlock their patio door. From talking to them it would seem that the europrofile barrel is knackered which will not let the key turn round. This in turn is not letting the little lever be pulled up which I presume releases the lock allowing the door to be slide back. Is drilling out the europrofile barrel the only option and will this release the lever. Have inlcuded a pic of what I am talking about.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

You should try spraying WD40 into the lock before drilling. It may be dirt in the lock stopping it from releasing. If this does not work then drilling the lock is your only option if it is locked. I would replace the barrel with an anti snap lock, much more secure than the lock that is in place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Kingchip

If you drill the cylinder out the lever will work and the door will open. Try a bit of wd40 before you bore it out, also check the key being used, there's a little nib at the end of the key nearest the handle that sometimes wears down and the key ends up going too far into the cylinder and won't turn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads, will check all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Your welcome, hopefully the WD40 will do the trick :D

Advertisement