Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama Help !!! Info on College Green

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hello guys. Could anyone with any information regarding Obamas visit please inform me as to what time everyone will start queing fot the college green event tomorows also does anyone know exactly what time Obama will be speaking at because in the sundaytimes it said he will be speaking at around 5, but alot /B/ threads have being saying 7. Also will we be alowed bagpacks and umbrellas
    Much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭medicsie

Security gates will be open from 2pm. No queuing allowed before that time.

Regarding umbrellas & backpacks, what are you bringing along in them? food and drink will not be allowed inside the cordon.

Details here

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

medicsie wrote: »
    Security gates will be open from 2pm. No queuing allowed before that time.

Regarding umbrellas & backpacks, what are you bringing along in them? food and drink will not be allowed inside the cordon.

Details here
    Thanks but are you sure there wont be any queing before then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Bring a woolly hat for the rain . Jedward will be playing to keep you amused As for food, I'm pretty sure Starbucks might be allowed to open.
    As for timing, Obama's the closing act unless U2 show up so it's up to whatever happens in Moneygall earlier.
    Thats my best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

People are queuing already this morning at Parliament Street. Not many, but they have started. No Bags or Umbrellas allowed, according to Metro this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just after getting off the bus and walking up Pearse street, I just can believe the amount of absolute fools that drove their car into the city center this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Guys I have a question: Is Tara St or Pearse St the best station to get off? Any time I've gone to Trinity [all two times] I've gotten off at Tara St? Bear in mind, I'm a total culchie but would like to be there for this. I'm going in on my own though, am I going to be bored off my tree if he doesn't end up coming on til 9 or so?!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Where can I get a full list of items not permitted into college green? Cigs and lighters banned?

This has a wee list
    http://www.thejournal.ie/confirmed-obama-to-hold-public-event-at-dublins-college-green-140151-May2011/

Also heard on the tv that umbrellas/bags are NOT allowed in.

Lads am lookin there and it says no access points from any other street around Dame St or College Green. I'm going to get caught if I get off at Tara St station won't I? I'm not that familiar with Dublin at all - am I crazy to be thinking of going in on my own?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Auvers wrote: »
    just after getting off the bus and walking up Pearse street, I just can believe the amount of absolute fools that drove their car into the city center this morning

LOL, i am one of those fools who drove in - no traffic whatsoever, got in the usual 20 mins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Technically, Pearse Street would normally be your best option to get to college green. HOWEVER, today they are only allowing access to the Green via Dublin Castle, so if you use the Dart, you will have to walk to the very far end of the Quays to gain access. I would suggest you get off the Dart at Tara and follow the crowds towards Parliament Street. Enjoy - I hope to get there myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

irishbird wrote: »
    LOL, i am one of those fools who drove in - no traffic whatsoever, got in the usual 20 mins :D

Let us know how you get on this evening trying to get back out of town

well, i will out of here at 4pm and they arent closing the roads until 4.30pm, so i envisage no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does anyone know if there are going to be portaloos or somewhere to get to a toilet? 4+ hours without one would be too much for me :P

I just gave him a wave as he drove down the Quays:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bonkers123

I know that you're not allowed to bring bags, but are women at least allowed to bring handbags??

I've checked a few of the reports online, and all of them say no 'bags' - not indicating whether they are handbags or not. I work along the Quays in dublin and along the route that the Queen drove and Obama drove today - I've had my handbag with me going to/from work and when I was gathered at barriers to wave;) etc. My bag was searched about 4 times last week, but I was allowed to bring it with me.
    In fairness, they realise that the majority of people will be coming from work going to College Green so I doubt they will not allow you in if you have a handbag with you...I imagine it might be searched though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

There are portable toilets at the entrance to Dublin Castle for anyone caught out!

now, it took 27 mins to get home including stopping for petrol.

i have to say i am loving these state visits, the lack of traffic is making it a dream to drive in the city :p

Advertisement