Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What tractor for 40 acre suckler farm

• 22-05-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Currently have a leyland 262. Shes doing the job but starting to get rough. What tractor would you advise to replace her.
    The hardest work she does is carrying heavy round bales and needs weights on the front to do so. Other work would be mowing and making small bales of hay,towing cattle trailers.
    2wd or 4wd? Whats the advantages or disadvantages.
    What horsepower would be needed?
    Somewhere around a 1990 i thought
    Would £5000-£6000 buy one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

something like a mid 80's 10 seris ford maybe a 5610

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

zetor 7211 perhaps? if you could get a nice clean one

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

dont buy a 7610 anyway they are a pure heap of sh/t got caught with abad one it fu/king nearly brook me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

dont buy a 7610 anyway they are a pure heap of sh/t got caught with abad one it fu/king nearly brook me.

you can get a bad one no matter what you buy,
    we've been ford all our day's, we had a 2wd 1989 mark 2, 7610 and i never like'd her, (mainly because i never wanted for the 7000 she replaced to be sold, problem with NOT being the boss,:rolleyes: loved that tractor and when i'm in a position to buy i'll have another)
    we had it for 6 or 7 yr, and she never let us down, it was used for putting silage in with a back end loader, and when we changed to bales she was used to draw them in as well, she done the road work, going for meal, and mixing slurry, she never got any love or attention, was never given regular service and was a real work horse, i put her on a dyno before i sold it and it was still putting out 82 hp,
    after i sold it i realised how good a tractor she was, easy on diesel never let us down, could pull on rightly and easy to work at, fairly easy to get parts if needed,
    i also have a 4wd, 1990 mk 3 6810, and the same is thought of her as was the 7000, hopefully it will never be sold, she's a bit harder on diesel,and now does all the work the 7610 done, only thing she doesn't do any more is putting in the silage as we now have a front end loader,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

go for a 2wd unless you 'need' a 4wd.
    if your not sure i'd bet you dont need 4wd.

2wd should be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 4wd too.
    but if you need 4wd you'll be kicking yourself afterwards:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

49801 wrote: »
    go for a 2wd unless you 'need' a 4wd.
    if your not sure i'd bet you dont need 4wd.

2wd should be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 4wd too.
    but if you need 4wd you'll be kicking yourself afterwards:D

Unless your land is perfect all year round I'd say get a 4WD.. We got an Case IH 885XL a few years ago and the 4WD is a different machine than 2WD.

You will get out on the land earlier and later in the year than you would with any 2WD and do less harm when there..

The Case IH 885 is a great tractor but a thirsty beast compared to our DB996...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

bbam wrote: »
    Unless your land is perfect all year round I'd say get a 4WD.. We got an Case IH 885XL a few years ago and the 4WD is a different machine than 2WD.

You will get out on the land earlier and later in the year than you would with any 2WD and do less harm when there..

The Case IH 885 is a great tractor but a thirsty beast compared to our DB996...

Same as, went from a 5610 to a TS115A. Diesel bill doubled at least but its hard to know really as I do a small bit of contracting as well with her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ballynag

ltec wrote: »
    Currently have a leyland 262. Shes doing the job but starting to get rough. What tractor would you advise to replace her.
    The hardest work she does is carrying heavy round bales and needs weights on the front to do so. Other work would be mowing and making small bales of hay,towing cattle trailers.
    2wd or 4wd? Whats the advantages or disadvantages.
    What horsepower would be needed?
    Somewhere around a 1990 i thought
    Would £5000-£6000 buy one.
    This is your tractor mate (http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/1993082)and i've one myself, she'll fulfill all of the above requirements.
    PM me if you need further assurances, i'm not selling this one btw;)

Advertisement