Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope elevation prob.

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

HI,

I've put a different scope on my 7.62 AI AE.
    It's an Osprey 10-40X50... Now before you start screaming air-rifle scope...thats what I thought too.

But I decided to test it out yesterday... I had it zeroed at 100 meters, so I said I'd shoot the box... first 2 rounds at point of aim using cheap ammo (R1M1) 3/4" apart one at 2 o clock and one at 7 o'clock... then wind up 9 moa keep same point of aim and the 2rounds hit 9" higher at about 3/4" apart one at 2 o clock and one at 7 o'clock...then 9moa to the right and sure enough 9" to the right the 2 rounds hit about 1/2" apart one at 8 o'clock and one at three o'clock... still keeping the same point of aim I wind down 9 moa and 2 rounds hit 9" lower directly below the previous group 3/4" apart one at 2 o clock and one at 7 o'clock...then yep you guessed it 9 moa to the left, still original point of aim and 2 rounds hit touching the first 2 rounds I fired... SO she holds the tracking well for an airgun scope??

Out to the 300 meter and we'll see what it's like at a little range, well when the wind settled and I got a chance it produced sub 1" groups so seems good there... optically I'm quite happy with it and could clearly see the bullet holes at 300 at 18X and 40X although the latter did start to hase a little, but I consider up to 36X very usable.

Problems??? ... well maybe one, I had hoped to do the box test with 12 moa but only had 9 moa of adjustment left after I zeroed at 100 with 147gr mil surp. So I'm thinking I need a 20moa rail or something along that line. I've seen some for the AE but their silly money... any Ideas???

Ok, just tested this scope for total moa elevation...

With 100 meter zero I have 9 moa elevation left in the up direction ... But I have 43 moa left in the downwards direction... so ???

So I'm wondering if ... since I bought the set up second hand , if the rings have a cant of x moa and when changing the scope I've put them on front to back or back to front ???

In total 52 moa is a lot of travel, but I seem to be using 17 moa above the mechanical centre to get onto 100 meters...

This would make sence os a set of 20moa cant rings back to front as most 20 moa bases actualy only give about 16 to 17 moa or so I've been told before...

any ideas??

Fish

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey fish,

Forgot to look the other day, but what is your clearance from barrel to scope?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Try first zeroing the reticle to its vertical centre and shoot a group - the drop @100m should be (I don't know) but not more than a couple of inches. If its off by a lot, ie. down 8/9" then the scopes reticle is way out.
    The only way to go then is for a 20 MOA rail or shim up the back ring. Theres a shim chart in the hunting tips section.

I'd recommend that the highest gap/distance between the barrel and scope should not exceed 4mm. The closer to the barrel the less MOA needed for a zero. Even with it "kissin" the barrel you could use up to 20 MOA for a zero, but 43 is a bit much.

A 20 MOA rail is always a good thing to have irrespective of the distance you shoot. It reduces the required MOA needed for zero. Some rails will give close to or 20 MOA, others though will not. Even though they may be inclined to give 20 MOA you could not mount your scope and expct to have gained back the 20 minutes. Not 100% sure why, but thats how it goes.

Anyway if you got a rail and if necessaru lower mounts, you would gain back 5 - 8 MOA from the scope lowering and 16 - 20 with the rail. Leaving you with anywhere from 30 to 37 MOA left after your zero. This would get you out to a minimum of 900yds and if you got the 37 MOA easily out to 1,000yds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Ezridax wrote: »
    Hey fish,

Forgot to look the other day, but what is your clearance from barrel to scope?

Ah sure it was raining down my end and sure we know how your allergic to that stuff!! ;):D:D

gap is about 5mm.

but the thing is I had a scope with a 42 mm bell on it before and still had plenty of minutes left :confused:

Ah sure it was raining down my end and sure we know how your allergic to that stuff!! ;):D:D

You can sing that. Was shooting on the Creedmoor range on Sunday morning. Seen the rain clouds so shot kinda fast. Got a little wet. Not impressed. :D:rolleyes:
    gap is about 5mm.

but the thing is I had a scope with a 42 mm bell on it before and still had plenty of minutes left :confused:

Thats not bad at all. There must be something in the make up of the scope. I posted elsewhere that my Father recently changed the scope on his .22lr. The original one was a Tasco 4-16x44. The new one is a 6-34x44. Both sit the same height of the barrel. Yet the Tasco did not use as much MOA to zero as the new one. Its the same mounts and rings. All i done was swap out the scopes. I ended up replacing the rings with lower ones, shiming the rings and replacing the scope. He gained back 18 MOA.

Still cannot figure out how one scope used 35-ish MOA for a zero yet the new one took all bar 2 of its 55 MOA to get the same zero.:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement