Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top soil cost?

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

I'm new to gardening so forgive me for my Nativity but how much would it cost for 14 cubic meters of top soil? I'm in the Dublin area so can someone also suggest a good place to get TS? Also how deep would i need to go, 6" enough, its rubble underneath...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tillie f

Hi I got my TS from Jones garden centre in donabate its about 120euro a ton (cheaper if you get more) its graded TS as for how much you will need I'm no good at that but they will prob tell you there talk to niall he usually helps me out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tillie f wrote: »
    Hi I got my TS from Jones garden centre in donabate its about 120euro a ton (cheaper if you get more) its graded TS as for how much you will need I'm no good at that but they will prob tell you there talk to niall he usually helps me out

OP that's an outrageous price!:eek: There are plenty of good sources for even enriched soil (combo of soil and recycled waste compost) ideal for bedding for € 50.00/ton excl del. Bulk loads (12-18 ton) the price for TS should not be more
    than € 30.00 € 40.00/ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Have quote for 20 ton delivered. Top soil mixed and blended with compost and dry.
    85 kilometer distance €350. south east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Sonnenblumen

Could you give any recommendations for south Dublin, I am looking for 2 Tons of enriched soil without weed seeds ;-)

I tried Top Soil Services in town a few times but no calls back...

Redman
    OP that's an outrageous price!:eek: There are plenty of good sources for even enriched soil (combo of soil and recycled waste compost) ideal for bedding for € 50.00/ton excl del. Bulk loads (12-18 ton) the price for TS should not be more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

redman wrote: »
    Sonnenblumen

Could you give any recommendations for south Dublin, I am looking for 2 Tons of enriched soil without weed seeds ;-)

I tried Top Soil Services in town a few times but no calls back...

Redman

Redman

IMO even good quality topsoil suppliers cannot guarantee with certainty that the topsoil does not contain any weed seed. Smaller bags of sterilised soil are available and yes, hgenerally good soil is that, ie weed free. However the suppliers are dependent on where the topsoil is sourced. Screening and storage does help but..

When you say enriched, do you mean a combo of soil and a conditioner? For example, there is a company called Enrich and they supply a range of different mixes, a popular one for planting areas is 60:40 (soil/recycled compost material). This is generally referred to as 'enriched' and is widely available. Southside : Murphy & Woods, Patio Centre Johnstown Rd, Cabinteely.

Turf Lawn Services based near Maynooth, will deliver southside. We're very happy with their quality throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks ill try patio centre as their close, heard hey re €65/ton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi, I think you will find that tillie f was probably talking about the individual one tonne bags, as they are always quite expensive, I bought seven tonnes that way a couple of years ago and I was paying €175.00 per bag delivered.

I then had twenty tonnes of the same stuff delivered but in bulk by tipper lorry and it was about €1000.00 for the lot delivered.

Buying in smaller quantities always costs more.

All the best.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Been using dyg.ie to get a topsoil/compost/grit mix for our allotment. Very happy with it, good quality stuff. 60euro a ton in 1ton bags plus 30 euro delivery for a load. Much more expensive than bulk but makes things much more manageable for a small plot

Advertisement