Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Embarrassing Songwriting Incident?

• 22-05-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

I was wondering what is the most embarrassing songwriting incident? Was it playing a dreadful song you thought was amazing? Or someone finds a song you wrote that was never meant to be heard?

Mine was today. I knew this day would come. I misplace items alot. When I was younger, I was even more forgetful. Somewhere in the spare room I have a copy that the front is full of terrible lyrics [many just names I thought were nice and I wanted to write a song about] and the back is lists of songs I wanted to cover one day [I say list - I mean Eoghan Quiggs album tracklist written out].
    I have about three copies somewhere like this - and I also used to rip pages out of school copies and put them somewhere - not a good idea. Seeing as literally the very next day I would have no idea what I had done with the "masterpieces" I just hoped my Mam would not clean my room like she usually does [just a little sweep around and whatnot].

Today, she found one of my first songs. I have no idea where it came from. I had never even fancied anyone other that a Jonas Brother before [it was their early days - they still do hold my heart however] so the lyrics were extremely weak. And, I was eleven, what would you expect? She must of read it, but she just showed me a few things like "do you want any of these" holding a few items. I almost died when I saw the sheet of "lyrics."
    She never questioned me about them - but my handwriting was very different from what it is now, she must of known they were old. Plus it looked so tattered.
    Until now [as far as I know] she has never known I had written a song before, let alone over a hundred [but to be honest, they're basically all the same :P].

The lyrics went [literally]

"You're tearing me apart boy x 2
    You're tearing me apart boy x 2

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Yeahhhhhhhhhh

Oh boy you've got my heart in a twist
    Like its caught in a spiders web
    And there's no way of getting out
    I'm tangled oh yeah"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

I've got one similar.
    When I just started writing songs, I liked the idea of doing a Weird Al on it, taking popular songs and re-writing them. I particularly liked my own version of Randy Newmans "You've got a friend in me", re-written to be from the viewpoint of a cannibal.
    I did a few more, but the one that was discovered by the mother was my version of Nelly Furtados "Man-eater".... About a man who beats his wife. In poor taste yes. The mother was not happy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

hehe I play for the family at get togethers and they always ask for a few originals. one of the last ones I had to cringe singing a verse of a song I quite like but it was written about the girlfriend and she was standing in the room. the line went:
    I said I love you but you said it was too soon,
    if this aint love well I don't know what to do,
    I'm tossing and turning
    my mind is still on you

everyone promptly turned to her and looked in wonder. love my family. haha

I've had plenty more though. my songs are fairly obscure and i tend to get questions like: "who was that written about?" or "where did ya get that line outta?"

Advertisement