Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study tool for Physics, English, Business & German

• 22-05-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37

I'm in sixth year and have been developing a piece of software that automatically manages my study for all my subjects - as in I created flashcards for every subject and I grade myself on how well I know the answer and the computer that calculates the best time to show that piece of information to me again.

I'll thinking of releasing it public, but first I'll release a link to the cramming version - basically just access to flashcard studying without the long term intelligence [it works best over 2-6 months and the L.C. is in two weeks :eek:] and would like to have some opinions!

Have a go - it has all of the physics course in electronic flashcard format!
    http://gluedstudy.com/try_physics_html/

EDIT Tue, 24th: Subjects now include Physics, Business, English and German:
    http://gluedstudy.com/try_us_out/

You can also track my study using this here:
    http://blog.arboroia.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

That's similar to a programme called Anki. Do you have Biology done on it by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 arboroia

Sorry, I'm not doing biology, but have German, English, physics, geography and business.

It uses the open source base of Anki to run it, I just modified it to work with multiple users in a web based format. The library is called libanki, but the most important bit are the large number of cards I have created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Could you post a business link please..?! :)

I just created a portal for both of the subjects - @LilMissCiara just click on the business button.

If anybody else would like another subject up, I'll put it up! Comment on what you think about it :)

It's getting more traffic than I anticipated, so I apologise for any minor service disruptions in the next 20 minutes (While I increase capacity of the VPS).

• Advertisement

arboroia wrote: »
    If anybody else would like another subject up, I'll put it up! Comment on what you think about it :)

Thanks anyway. If anyone has Biology,Ag Science,French, Technology and Economics could they put up a link please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Thanks so much, very handy especially for nuclear physics, what does the 'again' button do by the way?

See if you were doing long term revision with a login account, it would save how you grade yourself, and then show the ones you rate yourself worse in more often, so a card rated 'Again' would come again today until you click 'Easy, Good or Hard' and then it would come again tomorrow, then 2 days after that and then 6 days - to ensure you never forget the fact.

This is just a demo of the cram mode, so in effect the 'Again' won't have much effect as it doesn't save the for your next session.

If you would like to test a full account, pop me an e-mail and I'll send you details.

I'm probably going to sell accounts to this next year for about €10 per subject per year.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Thanks anyway. If anyone has Biology,Ag Science,French, Technology and Economics could they put up a link please. Thanks

Sorry only have German, English, physics, geography and business for the moment!

I just created a portal for both of the subjects - @LilMissCiara just click on the business button.

Thank you! :)

• Advertisement

Thank you! :)

Your welcome! :D

I'll put up german and english tomorrow - adding the code to make it work takes up time and I have a leaving cert to study for too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

this looks REALLY handy, especially for business :D
    well done

how long have you spent making this?
    are you looking for help with it, or just feedback?

Just feedback - I'm letting everybody on boards try it out before I prepare premium accounts - probably next year or maybe next week (what would you think of paying €3 for a account that expires after leaving cert - benefits include more personalisation, statistics, graphs, better interface etc.)?

I've been writing these cards since October 2010, and use the software for all my study, but I've been writing the software behind online version you see today since the mocks [I love writing code :) ]

Just feedback - I'm letting everybody on boards try it out before I prepare premium accounts - probably next year or maybe next week (what would you think of paying €3 for a account that expires after leaving cert - benefits include more personalisation, statistics, graphs, better interface etc.)?

I've been writing these cards since October 2010, and use the software for all my study, but I've been writing the software behind online version you see today since the mocks [I love writing code :) ]

That's a good idea, but maybe €5 for the first subject and €3 thereafter? Hopefully you'll make some money from it.. And maybe send flyers out to schools for promotion!

[I love writing code :) ]

What course do you intend on doing btw? One of my friends is doing a course with loads of code writing in it.

What course do you intend on doing btw? One of my friends is doing a course with loads of code writing in it.

I hope to do computer science in Trinity :) - where does your friend study?

----

English and german are now up as subjects on the http://www.gluedstudy.com/try_us_out/ website - accounts for login coming this friday, and the Geography deck coming tomorrow!

I hope to do computer science in Trinity :) - where does your friend study?
    ----
    English and german are now up as subjects on the http://www.gluedstudy.com/try_us_out/ website - accounts for login coming this friday, and the Geography deck coming tomorrow!

He's studying engineering in UL,loves it. If ya make money out of this fair play to ya and best of luck with it!

He's studying engineering in UL,loves it. If ya make money out of this fair play to ya and best of luck with it!

Is that engineering education or a different engineering?

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Is that engineering education or a different engineering?

If you mean concurrent secondary level teaching then no it's not it's a different engineering.

No problem, thanks.

• Advertisement

Geography is now up on the website as well as all of the other subjects.

@NotExactly
    Didn't think there would be much programming in a straight engineering degree - any idea what programming languages he is studying?

Advertisement