Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA foreign currency charges

Options
  • 22-05-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought flight tickets from uk website. but for some reason one segment of the flights could not be on e ticket and they has to cancel it. Not my problem. So the uk company refunded all my money in sterling. Despite euro pound rate being same on both the days. I ended up loosing nearly 100 euro. And MBNA explaines when I bought tickets they charge foreign currency purchase fee....My arse ....I lost 100 euro for nothing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

This is the drawback to buy and selling / returning in adifferent currency.

Example - if the mid market rate on the day was 90p, you would have received a rate of approx. 88.5p when buying the flights.

When you got a refund (effectively selling the flights back) you would receive an approx rate of 91.5p.

It a currency margin and one of the areas banks make a profit to pay for their staff and their little bonuses - and it applies to very bank / credit card / payment form worldwide.

Advertisement