Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair/Replace waterlogged Nokia 5230

Options
  • 22-05-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My Nokia 5230 got very wet and now is dead. I took it to a Nokia repair centre and the guy said it was beyond repair. I got it last Christmas as a Vodafone bill-pay upgrade, so am tied into until the end of the year. Unfortunately I did not take out the insurance offered.
    I am looking at getting a replacement. I liked the 5230, and would be happy to get another one, but was wondering if there is any other model I should be considering. The GPS is important. I am not prepared to spring for an iPhone or other top-end model.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

johnb25 wrote: »
    Hi,

My Nokia 5230 got very wet and now is dead. I took it to a Nokia repair centre and the guy said it was beyond repair. I got it last Christmas as a Vodafone bill-pay upgrade, so am tied into until the end of the year. Unfortunately I did not take out the insurance offered.
    I am looking at getting a replacement. I liked the 5230, and would be happy to get another one, but was wondering if there is any other model I should be considering. The GPS is important. I am not prepared to spring for an iPhone or other top-end model.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

John

Dry your phone,

Take phone apart, i.e take off cover and battery remove memory card and sim, place phone in a plastic bag, cover it with uncooked rice and seal bag leave the phone for about a week.
    Take phone out and put back together, place the phone on charge and wait patiently for your phone to come back to life.

I was told just last week that my phone was beyond repair after I took my phone swimming with me in a a swimming pool for about 20mins. They wouldn't even look at it, saying the main board was fried. Let me tell you they are fried, lazy shower of know nothings!

I didn't use above method, I used a hair dryer and left it beside an open fire for about a week and its working again perfectly!

Try it before shelling out on a new phone!

Just my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well you could get another one from adverts.ie or similar and its a quick and easy and fairly cheap fix. Some options to choose from:> http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Nokia+5230/sortby_best_match-desc/

Other options depend on your budget and needs really. Their is a lot more advanced handsets than the 5230 now. If it was me, I would want a better camera first off, and have wlan as a must. If you wanna have a quick read of THIS, it will help with the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PapaBooje

Whatever you do don't go this "repair centre" on Williams Street. Disastrous customer service. And get ready to be ripped off.
    Waited 5 WEEKS to get my iPhone unlocked. During this period owner of this shop didn't even make a one attempt to contact me to inform me what's going on. It was always me calling him and popping up to this store just to get the same answer every time: he'll call me. He never did. When after 3 weeks I said that I want my phone back, I was informed that my phone has been sent to Dublin, what was NEVER agreed with me. When I came back 2 weeks later I was told that part arrived from China just today and the phone still wasn't unlocked. I was so tired of the situation, that I agreed to pay 50 quid if phone will be ready in half an hour, but receive the answer that it's up to me if I want it, that HE'S NOT GONNA RUSH, because he can sell it to anyone anytime! Whatta customer service! I walked away with my phone still locked, this man doesn't deserve my hard earned money. BTW - Gevey part used to unlock this phone costs online 10 euro, I was suppose to pay 80-90 for this service. And one more example of rip off - I was told it costs 40 quid to unlock Nokia 5800 XpressMusic in this place and would be ready in few days. I unlocked this phone in other place in Limerick for.... a TENNER. Within 5 minutes.
    Just ask yourself a question - is it worth leaving your money there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would try drying it out. I've often put a phone I thought wasn't working into a drawer and a few months later its worked when I've tried it.

Thats a low end phone you can pick up cheap 2nd hand.

Advertisement