Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS complaint

Options
  • 22-05-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So I've been informed that I have to switch to the RAS scheme which means I have to move as they 'don't do bedsits'. I was finally happy with where I was living and I was planning to stay when I got a job as the rent is cheap and I do strongly prefer living on my own. So I have to now move into some place with higher rent... and if I get a job either leave early (a pain, and not very nice to do to a landlord who signed a 4 year contract...) or be stuck paying much higher rent than I'd have ever chosen willingly. I don't intend to be unemployed for the next 4 years.

Can I appeal their decision? I don't see why they think I'm a long-term need case if the only reason I was on rent allowance so long is because I was going through college (which I just finished). Surely give me a chance to get a job in the next 18 months first?

Anyway. Venting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Even if you get a job they will still help you with the rent. I have a friend on the scheme and her other half is working full time, they pay something like 20% of his earnings towards rent. We tried to get on it ourselves but our landlord was having none of it at the time and the council said there was about 800 ahead of us before they would even look at us so unless our landlord agreed and our cwo referred us we wouldnt be considered. We ended up moving somewhere cheaper as soon as he got a job but would have preferred to be on the RAS. Plus if you were to leave the landlords contract is with the County Council Housing, even though you leave and the place may be vacant for a month of two they still get paid until the council puts someone else in there that they agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iBleed

Hey, thanks for replying. I was hoping someone would have some insight like this but I didn't know what to ask. I'll have to find out more next time I'm talking to them about it. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

No probs, I know a couple of people on this scheme and similar, each of them delighted with it. I suppose it is just a pity that you need to be on the list a certain amount of time before they consider you. A quick google should give you more info and even call your local housing authority where they will be more than happy to explain it to you in detail. I contacted them trying to get on to it and although I had no luck they were very helpful and full of informaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 iBleed

Yeah it does seem they could have a better method for determining who gets onto the scheme. But that's the case with everything really. I'll quit complaining and consider myself lucky now :)

Advertisement