Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OM NYOM! I made this! (Biscuits 'n' Brags 'n' C&C)

• 22-05-2011 11:19pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm on holidays and I got a big mad creative buzz (since I have some time, unusually for me!).

Found a great Ipad app for baking and learning how to bake (really great photography in it by the way, its call The Photo Cookbook and there is one for baking and one for cooking).

So.... with some minor disasters (chocolate melts in hot oil... I was shocked)... I made these and then took these :)

I am *disgustingly* self-satisfied right now. (oh .. and choc full of cookie!) :)

5747895491_b43d263739_z.jpg
    cookie3 by devoresphotos, on Flickr

5747894149_f97a18f80c_z.jpg
    cookie5 by devoresphotos, on Flickr

5748441706_8cd448399e_z.jpg
    cookie2 by devoresphotos, on Flickr

So, what did I learn in terms of photography?

1. Backlighting food is a good idea unlike almost everything else.

2. There IS such a thing as "over bokehed". I really didnt think so but there is.

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

First .... The biscuits look appetising, so that is a win, if they taste that good then it's a double. I think all three shots could do with a bit of light reflected back from the front right. This would pick up some of the detail in the darker areas.

Still .... Yum!

Ohhh .... what are you doing here if you are on holidays?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Baking cookies and brushing up on my photography!!

Yes, I see what you mean about light... I found this shot very challenging to get, I don't have any lights or reflectors so I was using light from a window for it. A piece of white card or paper would have done it I guess, I'll try that next time.

I realised I don't know how to turn off the flash in modes like Av or P etc on my new 550D , anyone know where that is? (yes, I'm a muppet).

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It will give you an excuse to bake some more.

A reflector only has to be a white cloth or piece of card. Some aluminum foil will work too and you will have some in the kitchen.

Sorry. Don't know about the Canons to turn the flash off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

DeVore wrote: »
    Baking cookies and brushing up on my photography!!

Yes, I see what you mean about light... I found this shot very challenging to get, I don't have any lights or reflectors so I was using light from a window for it. A piece of white card or paper would have done it I guess, I'll try that next time.

I realised I don't know how to turn off the flash in modes like Av or P etc on my new 550D , anyone know where that is? (yes, I'm a muppet).

DeV.

The flash should only fire in M/Av/Tv if you press the flash popup button on the side. It can automatically popup in full auto tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A little on the dull side imho - by that i mean they need something to lift them - ideally a little more light (at a guess). The porcelain dishes look more grey (perhaps that's how they looked) and you'd expect a brilliant white on them. They do look tasty which is good (both that they were tasty and that they look it). You can never have too much bokeh (shame, shame, shame....).

Composition wise, if there were something else in the frame it might have given additional interest. Also, as the colours are predominantly bland (browns to creams), something with a bit of colour contrast might work well. Yes, a single flower is cliched, but cliches are only cliches because they are desirable for reproduction / imitation so go with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement