Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ogra Fianna Fail

Options
  • 22-05-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Well all, said i'd give the fianna fail society a go, obviously too late to know what its about, anybody here a part of it, is it a good society to join? :D Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

mulner92 wrote: »
    Well all, said i'd give the fianna fail society a go, obviously too late to know what its about, anybody here a part of it, is it a good society to join? :D Thanks

Hey I'm in it.

I only joined this semester and I regret not doing so earlier.Biggest bunch of legends I've met so far in UL .Its very active both within society terms and outside it.I've made a great bunch of friends from it.

Every Monday theres a meeting to discuss which ever topic is presented.Theres a Dáil trip too coming up during the summer and on paddys day they went to Clare to celebrate.

Also in October theres the National Youth conference I think its called which is meant to be crazy or so I hear :pac:.

But yeah man give it a try next year as it's defo worth joining.If you want to talk politics and have a laugh then sign up in September :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Seloth wrote: »
    Biggest bunch of legends I've met so far in UL .

:confused::pac:

Not trying to be a dick but are the only other people you know recluses or something?

OP I was in it for a while, its grand like but the craic is limited. Personally I despise FF now and don't want anything to do with them but if your into arse-patting,backslapping, etc and like FF policies you might enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Seloth: Sounds good , only just managed to join the last week of semester so really would have to wait till september till its back in action. I'll be on co-op later this year, hoping i stay local that way you can get involved itno thick of it.

Snappy: Probably wouldn't have the greatest interest in the policy part maybe, just a way of having banter and making new friends.

Not trying to be a dick but are the only other people you know recluses or something?

OP I was in it for a while, its grand like but the craic is limited. Personally I despise FF now and don't want anything to do with them but if your into arse-patting,backslapping, etc and like FF policies you might enjoy it.

Dude honestly I dont know when you must have been in it but theres none of that carry on.Tbh I did truly fear this when joining it in feb but I was quite shocked and all too happy that it wasn't there at all.I've heard of a few cases through out the country where there have been incidents like this but those people are all well to known and disliked.

Also Both the Main party and the ogra are reforming their organizations themselves in order to stop things such as that.Quite recently in fact I was in a Ogra meeting in my own area and we were encouraged to give our own ideas and speak up against any we dislike.

The Common boards view that only certain type of person joins FF is,well laughable.So far op they've been some of the most genuine people I've met in UL.

Wouldn't mind going on the dail trip to be honest, i did the pre registration so i should get an email about it, one or two lads from history soc are in it as well

• Advertisement

I heard they gave Derek the title of Grandad, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The Common boards view that only certain type of person joins FF is,well laughable.So far op they've been some of the most genuine people I've met in UL.
    Why would you willingly join the youth wing of the ideology-free (unless chase every vote is an ideology :confused:) bunch of crooks and morons who have ruined the country?

This is a bit like joining the Hitler Youth in 1947.

It is unfair to tar everyone with the one brush, Fianna Fail did after all produce our greatest leader in Sean Lemass.

mulner92 wrote: »
    It is unfair to tar everyone with the one brush, Fianna Fail did after all produce our greatest leader in Sean Lemass.
    That's a bizarre statement, for many reasons. Lemass was produced by Sinn Fein, not Fianna Failure. And the more recent leaders have featured the corrupt clown Ahern and corrupt philandering hypocrite Haughey.

Meh. There's no point in wasting my time discussing this with you if, based on the last 10 years, you decided to join Fianna Failure in college. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

That's a bizarre statement, for many reasons. Lemass was produced by Sinn Fein, not Fianna Failure. And the more recent leaders have featured the corrupt clown Ahern and corrupt philandering hypocrite Haughey.

Meh. There's no point in wasting my time discussing this with you if, based on the last 10 years, you decided to join Fianna Failure in college. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

I wouldn't waste my breath discussing it with you, sure why don't you waste your time somewhere else then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

That's a bizarre statement, Lemass was a founder member of FF in 1926 and became leader of FF and Taoiseach in 1959. I don't know why you're having a go at these lads anyway, surely you have better things to be doing?

Skyrim wrote: »
    That's a bizarre statement, Lemass was a founder member of FF in 1926 and became leader of FF and Taoiseach in 1959. I don't know why you're having a go at these lads anyway, surely you have better things to be doing?
    In 1926, de Valera, supported by Lemass, sought to convince Sinn Féin to abandon its refusal to accept the existence of the Irish Free State, the legitimacy of the Dáil, and its abstentionist policy of refusing to sit in the Dáil, if elected. However, the effort was unsuccessful and in March 1926 de Valera, along with Lemass, resigned from the party.
    So Sinn Féin produced him as much as Fianna Failure, no?

Anyway, I'll let you guys get busy planning the next Fianna Failure collapse of the country in 20 years.

So Sinn Féin produced him as much as Fianna Failure, no?

Anyway, I'll let you guys get busy planning the next Fianna Failure collapse of the country in 20 years.

So? By 1926, DeValera saw the Sinn Fein as a failed entity, he suggested a motion which was narrowly rejected, then he along with Lemass founded FF, which they have been indelibly linked with ever since.
    One thing we will agree on, goodbye and good riddance.

Skyrim wrote: »
    which they have been indelibly linked with ever since.
    Was this a tribute to the corrupt moron Ahern? Is the boom still getting boomer in Fianna Failure?

Lads he asked about joining the ogra in UL not to debate about it.

If you wish to do so go to the politics section of boards or have a rasionale discussion in person as arguments over the internet and pointless and always irrational!.

Edit-Ok I'm gonna go a bit out of my way even though I said this little debate should stop but Monty honestly you cant blame the past on someone in the present(By which I mean in reference to the future of said party))If you take a little look back both FG and Lab had similar economic plans(Least forgetting this was a global recession with Ireland being a small open economy relying on larger ones) to FF,and even FG gave out to FF for not spending more money..Personally I joined FF as like it's centralist views and that its beginning to reform.while FG does have some great people as does FF its party views and leadership are not to my liking.SF,well they seem to have a more primary goal and labor,despite being a left party are very conservative.ULA,well they are a bit too extreme to my liking.

I find it comical that you compare Ogra FF to Hitler Youth.Are you saying that were encouraged to beat up Adventure scouts or even other youth partys.Every party has its corruption but FF being the largest at the time,off course it would have that bit more(In no way am I condoning it)As I said earlier the party in both the main and the youth group is reforming,with even former FG taoisach John Bruton stating that FF is the only party dedicate to change,making note of how FG is not(Not wishing to state any negativity against FG or Young FG)

Right those are my finale words.Look as I said at the start,lads he's asking about Joining it.This isnt a FF debate or a recession blame game thread.If you wish to debate this go to Politics or the rants in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Seloth, the future of the FF party that you refer to seems to be running in the same vein as the past version, going by this:
    Mich&#233 wrote: »
    A chara,

This week marked the 85th Anniversary of the founding of Fianna Fáil. Our founders were great figures, but they started our party with nothing.

They were committed to public service and they wanted to see the people of this country shape their own destiny and prosper. The people who built Fianna Fáil, people like Eamon De Valera, Sean Lemass, Sean MacEntee, and Frank Aiken, built it from the grassroots up.

Now, as we work to renew our Party, we must do likewise.

Please click here to take a look at my speech marking the Party's 85th Anniversary. In it, I discuss what I believe our Party should stand for, the renewal of our organisation, and how I believe Fianna Fáil should be more member-driven.

I have been the leader of Fianna Fáil for less than four months and in that period I have travelled the length and breadth of Ireland. I want Fianna Fáil to be that great party it once was and to be in touch with and responsive to the needs of the Irish people.

I want to hear from you on what this party needs to do to build a stronger, fairer, more prosperous Ireland, just as our founders had envisaged.

Eighty-five years ago, our predecessors in Fianna Fáil set out on the journey to build a great national movement. We have been set a similar task and I believe this generation will also succeed.

That success will be on the basis of real engagement by every member of our movement. I am asking you today to play your part and send me your ideas on party and policy renewal.

Please email renewal@fiannafail.ie or submit your comments and views here:

www.fiannafail.ie/IdeasForRenewal

Le gach dea-ghuí,

Micheál.

Micheál Martin TD
    Úachtarán Fhianna Fáil

(Taken from Munsterfans.com)

So basically, FF are looking for what people want and then using what will get them the most votes as policies.

This is opposed to the idea that a party take a stand on issues and seek to convince voters of their position.

If that's the future of FF, then I don't see much point in joining their Youth Wing.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Seloth, the future of the FF party that you refer to seems to be running in the same vein as the past version, going by this:

(Taken from Munsterfans.com)

So basically, FF are looking for what people want and then using what will get them the most votes as policies.

This is opposed to the idea that a party take a stand on issues and seek to convince voters of their position.

If that's the future of FF, then I don't see much point in joining their Youth Wing.

Isn't the basic idea of a politician in a democracy representation of the people?I'm sorry but I cant see what is wrong with this?Infact I think that this is perfect.The politician is meant to know what the people want and voice it,with the civil servant advising on it and implementing it.

By joining the youth branch not only can you discuss various ideas and policies but you can voice them as well.

I'm really sorry but I cant see how this is not a good thing.Being born into a democractic society and,well as most are a fan of it :pac: I'd much rather vote for a party that wishes to represent myself(And the people) rather than one that represents a single or very few ideology.For instance many I know that voted for SF did so in order to unify the country but as Vincent Brown said,how on Earth can they do that when its the people of Northern Ireland decided,Not SF or their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Guys, this is not the place to discuss the generalities of Fianna Fail or any other political party. The OP asked about joining the local UL society-based branch of something that happens to be a political party. Basically he's asking if they're a god bunch of students to hang around with and if they do interesting events.

You can debate the higher points and echelons of political parties in the Politics forum. You can answer the question he asked here. Pick one or both but keep an eye on what goes where please - discussing the failure or non-failure of the political party in general here isn't actually answering the question you were asked.... and that's less than helpful:)

sceptre wrote: »
    Guys, this is not the place to discuss the generalities of Fianna Fail or any other political party. The OP asked about joining the local UL society-based branch of something that happens to be a political party. Basically he's asking if they're a god bunch of students to hang around with and if they do interesting events.

You can debate the higher points and echelons of political parties in the Politics forum. You can answer the question he asked here. Pick one or both but keep an eye on what goes where please - discussing the failure or non-failure of the political party in general here isn't actually answering the question you were asked.... and that's less than helpful:)
    That is all i wanted. I didn't intend for this thread to descent into political discussion. You know me so well Sceptre. :P

Anyhow, looking forward to joining ye in September. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 optimised

Craic is limited..dude ya never met me so?

Dude honestly I dont know when you must have been in it but theres none of that carry on.Tbh I did truly fear this when joining it in feb but I was quite shocked and all too happy that it wasn't there at all.I've heard of a few cases through out the country where there have been incidents like this but those people are all well to known and disliked.

Also Both the Main party and the ogra are reforming their organizations themselves in order to stop things such as that.Quite recently in fact I was in a Ogra meeting in my own area and we were encouraged to give our own ideas and speak up against any we dislike.

We'd be sound if the after party was ever at yours..

Craic is limited..dude ya never met me so?

You dont want to,If anything to join us in sept cause of her!!!:eek:
    optimised wrote: »
    We'd be sound if the after party was ever at yours..

I'm sorry I lived in student accom this year :pac: while you lived in a nice security free house :p.

You dont want to,If anything to join us in sept cause of her!!!:eek:

I be the soul

I'm sorry I lived in student accom this year :pac: while you lived in a nice security free house :p.

Hey you we have better than security...we have Ross Kemp

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

optimised wrote: »
    Hey you we have better than security...we have Ross Kemp

Sarah .... I mean (always forget her real name) ;) would stick Ross kemp to the groud and pummel him for fun :)

Also, do join Ogra if its what your into, FF is a really interesting party to be in at the moment with regards to the rebuilding, soul searching and the differing attitudes to what we are actually now going to stand for.

Times change, people change and so must the parties that represent them....... the internal debate at the moment is mighty with the lower levels of the party being given more say as to what is going on - its the perfect time to join if you want to make a difference and of course learn alot about the political system. However, I warn you I have often spent the night in the Pub after the meetings on monday so if you can switch your tutorials from tuesday mornings that would be great (For yourself like, I'm a very persuasive person).

Anyone wanting to debate the finer echalons of Fianna Fail..... I'm on AH and Politics forum ....... see you there (And please make sure you can count to 5 + I don't speak German)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 99Astra

Hi Mulner92,

As Seloth, DJCR, and of course the always ever energetic Optimised (our Sarah :P) said, UL Ógra Fianna Fáil is a brilliant society to join and also on a National level within your home county. One thing I can guarantee you is this: if you are looking for a way to meet new friends and also experience a great mixture of politics and also fun, you have came to the right place. My own personal regret is that I didn't join sooner than when I did. The lads are an absolute group of legends, the nicest group of people you will ever meet. They are great friends to have and that's a fact. In case you are wondering I was secretary (and also PRO) of the Cumann since before Christmas. I have now completed my final year in UL (I was 4th year BBS fyi) and at the moment I am looking for a job so I won't be as involved as much I was (but one thing for sure is that I will still be in constant contact with the lads and I hope to be still involved and help them as much as I can even though I won't be below in Limerick (unless I decide to do a masters))

There has never been a better opportunity to join with a political society as we are going through a time of great change. It is change for the better as we are interested in political reform, after all we, the younger generation are the future of the Fianna Fáil party and politics in general and we want to change how politics is conducted. As the lads know from the meetings, we talk politics but in a fun way. We like to keep our meetings as light-hearted as possible but we also cover the relevant facts while having the best of craic We discuss items that are relevent to our members. Before Christmas for example as many of our members mentioned about the financial strain and worry they had beause they hadn't received their grant we drafted a policy proposing a reformation of how grants were processed which (like many of our previous policies) was sent up to Headquarters. We always had an open agenda so that if any member wanted to add something to be discussed, I would add it.

I think I have mentioned this at least a million times by now and will keep mentioning, is that we love to have the craic. Whatever a previous poster said about us being boring is wrong (he may be mixing us up - he may have gone to a YFG meeting ;)). After every meeting we always head to The Scholars (or as I know it - Java's) As DJCR said, it is advisible to change any Tuesday morning tutorials as many a night in Java's went further than there :). As Seloth said, we headed to Doolin for St.Patrick's Day and had a great time there. During Christmas we also had two epic trips to Galway and Cork. It often happened that we'd get a text from one of the lads saying they're up in Limerick for the night (like what happened during the exams) and just meet up and head out.

Just to give you a taste of what we will be at next Semester, in October we will be heading to the Ard Fheis and in November to the NYC (National Youth Conference) where Ógraí meet up to have the maddest and best weekend ever. There hasn't been a NYC in the past 18 months so it's going to be brilliant! During that weekend we also elect who we want to reperesent us on the National Youth Committee. UL currently has three reperesentatives on it at the moment and we intend to have at least two next time around. We also intend on doing a Dail trip in September and also a trip to Westminister either during the first semester or early in the second semester (whenever it best suits the members). Carrying on from the €5,000 we raised for the Cian Cleary Benefit Fund in the end of March, we will also be definitely holding another charity event. We also intend to have guest speakers, draw up some policies, hold some campaigns and also small events so I definitely recommend you to join Ógra during the recruitment drive in Week 1 in September. Tell your freinds to also join. Also add us as a friend on facebook if you haven't already done so facebook.com/ulogra I'm hoping to come down to help the lads with the recruitment drive (as I mentioned above I'll be helping the lads as much as I can even from wherever I end up) but if I don't see you there, I probably meet you at some stage, most likely for starters on the Dáil trip! All I say is that it's going to be an eventful year! :D

Oh yeah, house party in Optimised house in week 1 :p:p:p

99astra: You have me sold, must go to it in september. I have never been to the dail before so i'd love to go there as well. :P

Some people i know have joined YFG. I'll be honest, i wasn't too interested in the politics in general, but some of the posters especially astra have forced me to re-think. Think i'll give the ogra a go in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

I would think that you have greater opportunities in FF than YFG, to be part of the rebuilding process and make you opinions, and more importantly an opportunity to meet people of similar interests.

• Advertisement

Fraher91 wrote: »
    I would think that you have greater opportunities in FF than YFG, to be part of the rebuilding process and make you opinions, and more importantly an opportunity to meet people of similar interests.

Those are the main reasons why I joined hah :L

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement