Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory Errors

• 23-05-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

Forgive the length of below, TLDR readers please move along :P

I have a custom PC which I built myself two or three years back. Quick run over the specs:

Thermaltake Armor, Toughpower 750W, 500GB Spinpoint, 2GB Corsair RAM, E6850 @ stock, HD4870 added later, Win7 64bit.

About a year and a half, maybe a little longer ago, I added a third 1GB memory module that I bought second hand, it wasn't a matched paid but performed OK. Then a few months ago, I started getting memory errors and the odd BSOD so I took it out and fell back to 2GB, all was well.

The PC was running slowly with games however - although the same games I had always been running - and I started getting memory errors and the games were quitting due to lack of available memory. Also I installed Windows 7 a year ago or so too. Anyway, needing more RAM I got myself a 2x1GB set of Skill RAM off memoryc and installed, and ever since I'm having almost daily freezes or hangs, BSODs with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA being the most common error code.

Any ideas what might be causing it? I'm thinking maybe the mobo - this RAM is brand new but as it was happening with the old stuff too I'm tempted to think the new RAM is not at fault. When it's just the original 2GB all is grand (but games still quit due to lack of memory, which never happened before. We're talking vintage stuf like Flightsim 2004, BF2, etc)

Any ideas? Help appreciated, I'm normally very savvy but this one has stumped me. I've reseated the original ram, taken a can of air to the connections, upgraded the RAM, even reformatted when I took out the random 1GB module. All to no avail. I'm going slowly bananas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Could be the motherboard at fault? Have you actually checked the RAM for errors? Also have you considered the HD might be on its way out? If there is bad sectors and it keeps trying to write or read from them it could be forcing the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

HD is the second in this rig following a failure of the original (same make same spec) about 2 years ago. Does need a defrag though (and it does stay powered on 100hrs+ per week)

How would I go about checking the RAM, any reccommended software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just cause you replaced the disk recently doesnt mean it aint dying.... check it aswell.

Try Memtest for scanning the memory:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

EDIT, FYI scanning the memory can take a long time, i suggest you just leave it over night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I agree with Fionny, run a memory test over night, my preferred program for memory test is http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You should download a diagnostic tool for the hard drive from your manufacturer to see if its on the way out.

Disconnect as much hardware as possible (like any pci cards) to see if you get the issues with the bare minimum connected.

If possible test the system with another PSU, failing Power Supplies can cause the most bizarre problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ran memtest, got instructed to open an instance per core at the same time...cue memtest opening and crashing immediately to a memory error.

My pc = basket case. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Looks like your processor is the problem,
    try memtest with one slot of RAM at a time,
    If you still get the crashes try replacing your CPU

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/intel-e6850-3-0ghz-skt775/533041

Straight Swap but you might get a better deal if you shop around.

If you are upgrading make sure to stick with a Socket 775 although I suspect you already know this.

Advertisement