Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motherboard upgrade

Options
  • 23-05-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a dell dimension 4700 for a good few years now and its gone very slow and keeps freezing. Ive done a clean install & was thinking about upgrading the RAM until a friend told me the processor would default to the slow 512mb its made for, regardless of RAM. He reckons I need a new processor/motherboard if I want to bring my 4700 up to speed with modern PC's

I was looking at motherboards but im not sure what would be compatible. Most sites are saying it is ATX, but im in over my head here!!
    Is there a number on the board I should be looking for?
    I dont mind if the external connections dont line up, I'll modify the tower accordingly.

Or would any motheroard do me & I'll just plug in the hard drives & RAM & mod the PSU if needs be?

Any help appreciated

Comments

Advertisement