Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does science change help please

Options
  • 23-05-2011 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

:eek::eek::eek::eek:if i want to do chemistry in ucd and someone wants todo biology pathway. are we both going for the same points :(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

:eek::eek::eek::eek:if i want to do chemistry in ucd and someone wants todo biology pathway. are we both going for the same points :(:(:(

Yes, as far as I know points are now identical regardless of preference (or no preference as the case may be). The science program has been turned completely omnibus... It's not particularly clear but here's the link..

http://www.ucd.ie/science/courses/DN200_first_year.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bobbymurphy

cheers. thats a bit of a skank
    thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Hey just thought I'd put in my input, I just finished first year omnibus. There are some denominated subjects - Neuroscience, pharmacology etc, but most people go straight into omnibus. The denominated people do all the same classes as the omnibussers - apart from one or two modules so everyone is together in 2st year.

So basically you and your friend will both be aiming for the same points...

It might seem a bit crap right now, but doing omnibus lets you try out lots of subjects that you might enjoy - I had never done chemistry and really enjoyed it.

Also the craic in science is mighty...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Smeefa wrote: »
    Hey just thought I'd put in my input, I just finished first year omnibus. There are some denominated subjects - Neuroscience, pharmacology etc, but most people go straight into omnibus. The denominated people do all the same classes as the omnibussers - apart from one or two modules so everyone is together in 2st year.

So basically you and your friend will both be aiming for the same points...

It might seem a bit crap right now, but doing omnibus lets you try out lots of subjects that you might enjoy - I had never done chemistry and really enjoyed it.

Also the craic in science is mighty...

Sorry Smeefa.
    Science has been completely overhauled this year so none of this is actually true anymore... The whole thing is undenominated now. Disregard it OP you'll just confuse yourself

Sorry Smeefa.
    Science has been completely overhauled this year so none of this is actually true anymore... The whole thing is undenominated now. Disregard it OP you'll just confuse yourself

Oh brilliant, that was a good decision! It was a bit pointless having denominated courses in 1st year anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Speaking as a graduate of a denominated course, you're completely wrong. I knew what I wanted to do back when I applied, and being denominated meant I never had to worry about having good enough grades to get into something, or getting registered to a course in time, or anything.

Raphael wrote: »
    Speaking as a graduate of a denominated course, you're completely wrong. I knew what I wanted to do back when I applied, and being denominated meant I never had to worry about having good enough grades to get into something, or getting registered to a course in time, or anything.

I totally understand where you're coming from and of course there are pros and cons from both sides of the spectrum, it's just that I've talked to quite a few people who are in denominated and feel a bit constrained and wish they were in omnibus, I know a couple who are going to try switch their courses.
    But I'm glad it worked out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭YouthNovel

I think the new pathways are just to do with registration and new modules. Everyone will still be together.

Smeefa you're lovely.

Advertisement