Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help....Looking for Sphynx Kitten in Dublin/South East Ireland

• 23-05-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,
    I am allergic to cat and dog hair, I am DYING to own a little cat to love and cuddle and I discovered the sphynx. Ive read lots about it and its the ideal pet for me, now Im so eager to get one!
    The only breeders I have found in Ireland charge €1000-€1500 for one......I cant afford this but could pay €200 or so for one.
    Does anyone have a sphynx kitten and could inform me where they got it or just happen to know where I might get one??????

Sooo grateful for any advice! :-)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

dpink

Cat allergies are not to hair, but to dander (skin flakes) and to a protein in cat saliva. Many cats do shed a lot of hair, and cats groom intensively so when they shed hair they also shed dander and the protein from their saliva sticks to the hair shaft and so on.

On this basis, however, a hairless cat will not be a solution to your allergy problem. Hairless or short haired cats are not hypoallergenic. If you're allergic to cats, you'll still be allergic to a sphynx.

There are a number of breeds with short or no hair. Sphynx cats are relatively rare. There are more common breeds known as the Rexes - Devon Rex and Cornish Rex particularly. Some Rexes are near bald, some only have one of the three layers of hair most cats have (guard hairs, these are the long outer ones, a middle layer called awn hairs (shorter than the guard hairs, longer than the undercoat) and the soft, fluffy undercoat - the Rexes have only the undercoat, which can make them look as though they have short hair that's been crimped.

The Rex breeds need additional care in the Irish climate. No fur = gets cold easily! They cannot be kept as outdoor cats, so you'd have to commit to indoors only or free access to an outdoor run (but the couldn't be kept in an outdoor run in the Irish climate).

Rexes are also mischevious, impish, full-on kitties so they're not couch potatoes and they need and demand a lot of loving interaction.

It is possible to be a happy cat owner even with a cat allergy. You just need to take steps to manage your allergies. You need to vacuum often, and never allow the cat in the bedroom. Keep a blanket on the sofa for your cat to sleep on and change and wash it frequently. Take antihistamines and if you have asthma, make sure you stay on top of your symptoms with preventative medication. Timber or tiled floors are great with pet allergies because they're easy and fast to sweep up the dander and hair. Wash your hands and face after stroking your cat, and don't let the cat lick your hands or face. Keep your cat well groomed with something like the furminator and a warm, damp cloth between brushing to help keep the dander down. Also feed a good quality food so the cat doesn't suffer flaky skin.

Depending on the severity of your allergies, your reaction to your own cat can diminish considerably after the first four weeks of you having it. Your body adjusts and often after an initial couple of weeks of sneezes, streaming eyes and so on, your reactions can simply diminish of their own accord. Even in this case you may find you have periods where your allergies flare up - when the cat blows its coat during the change of seasons you may have an allergic reaction for a few days.

Just regarding your price limit - you could get yourself a neutered, microchipped, vaccinated cat from a rescue within your 200 euro budget if you really want a cat and if you're prepared to work with your allergies. There is no point approaching a breeder who is selling kittens for a thousand euro and telling them you only have two hundred. That's sort of like approaching a Toyota Garage and asking if you can have a new Corolla for one fifth of the sale price, just because you'd look after the car well and be a great driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

dpink

It is possible to be a happy cat owner even with a cat allergy. You just need to take steps to manage your allergies. You need to vacuum often, and never allow the cat in the bedroom. Keep a blanket on the sofa for your cat to sleep on and change and wash it frequently. Take antihistamines and if you have asthma, make sure you stay on top of your symptoms with preventative medication. Timber or tiled floors are great with pet allergies because they're easy and fast to sweep up the dander and hair. Wash your hands and face after stroking your cat, and don't let the cat lick your hands or face. Keep your cat well groomed with something like the furminator and a warm, damp cloth between brushing to help keep the dander down. Also feed a good quality food so the cat doesn't suffer flaky skin.

Depending on the severity of your allergies, your reaction to your own cat can diminish considerably after the first four weeks of you having it. Your body adjusts and often after an initial couple of weeks of sneezes, streaming eyes and so on, your reactions can simply diminish of their own accord. Even in this case you may find you have periods where your allergies flare up - when the cat blows its coat during the change of seasons you may have an allergic reaction for a few days.

Hi Dpink,

I agree totally with The Sweeper here, I am allergic to cats and dogs and I have never been without one or the other, when I first come into contact with an animal I get hives, itchy watery eyes etc... but within a week or two of having one the allergies more or less disappear (without using antihistamines).

Is it an option for you to maybe foster a cat or kitten for a few weeks to see if you will grow accustomed to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

OP Sphynx are expensive, they are rare and you really need to do your research. They need a bath every week and as has been said they need to be kept indoors and warm.
    If you are looking at getting one one you really need to be sure that the breeder scans breeding cats yearly for HCM, this is very important. Scans are expensive which contribute to the cost of a kitten.
    They are fantastic cats, brimming with personality. But if you really wish to own one you should make contact with some breeders and enquire about getting one in the future and just save for one....
    No cat is hyperallergenic. As The Sweeper said its generally the dander that people are allergic to and rex's are certainly worth considering as are La Perms if you are looking at less hair shedding. Atm I think there is one breeder or cornish rex in Ireland, none of devon or la perms.
    If you really are thinking of a pedigree cat take your time in learning about the various thing you need to ask from a breeder to ensure a happy, healthy kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 catman73

Dpink,

If you are looking for a 200E Sphynx be very careful as if you find one within that price range it is either a con or a non-pedigree, unknown health kitty and you almost guaranteed to have some kind of problems at some stage.
    The reason why Sphynx are so expensive is because the parents of the kitten must be scanned for HCM annualy (as Sphynx often have heart problems) and it is very costly, blood tests of FIP, FIV, FeLV etc are very costly too. All tests must be done annualy and cats would only have one litter a year if thebreder follows the ethics of breeding.
    The breeder needs to keep the kitten for the first 3-4 months ofhis life in warm enviroment, high quality food and look after it. Kitten needs to be registered with GCCFI and Pedigree Certificate, transfer slip must be also issued- this is also brings the costs up. Registered catteries would also need to pay tax! Any breeder selling you a kitten for 200E would make a big loss! Please investigate the costs of vets, GCCFI fees, food, heating and ethics of breeding before making a decision.
    Best of luck

Advertisement