Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in a Ski resort for the winter

Options
  • 23-05-2011 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, Ive been in Australia for the last two months now and have been moving around a lot since i got here. At the moment Im in Canberra with a few friends working as a labourer for a rendering company. Work is fine and wages are very good for a labourer but Im hoping to work in one of the many ski resorts in NSW/Victoria for the winter. Its mainly bar/hospitality work I would be looking for as I have over 8 years of bar work experience. So far I have got no replys from the applications Ive sent. Is it too late to fill any of these positions or is it better to go through an agency for this type of work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One of the guys around here has barwork in Threadbo sorted for the winter,
    he might be able to give you pointers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eanna_c

i was already on to Thredbo, they said all their positions were filled for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Thats me. Thanks Mellor.

I was offered a job in Thredbo/Perisher and Mt.Buller. I've quite a bit of bar experience and was all set to work up there for the winter but unfortunately somethings come up in Melbourne and then I have to go do my silly 3 months rural work.

I applied quite early though and I did a skype interview as well as a few phone interviews.

They usually have their positions filled mid-late april so Id imagine they are all full.

That said, if you really want to work up there a trip up and a talk to a resort manager/some pub owners might work out well. Otherwise, you'll have to wait til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

i know a few girls who landed a job on the lifts - they were interviewed back in April.... It seems to be a popular seasonal job with alot of applicants. Any job they went for was a group interview situation. I reckon all jobs have been filed by now, but as the last person said, book a trip up and chance your arm, ya never know what might happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Do you have to work in the ski resort? What about the local bars in the towns? I did this in Queenstown last year, applied to the ski fields work (anything they had) but no luck. Competition is fierce and a lot of places were filled with those who worked there in previous years!
    I applied to the local bars and landed a bar job in one of the clubs. Tough work but allowed me to snowboard for a season.
    I think you really need be in the town, talking face to face with bar managers and that. Im not sure how it works in Oz but in Qtown, you had a trial and based on that you got the job or not!!
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The ski resorts ARE the towns.

Thredbo is basically a town built around the slopes.
    There are small hotels nearby, but they are pretty tiny prob manage on local staff. Similar for nearby towns, there's bars and such but they prob get by on local staff.

Advertisement