Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, .. is squall the biggest ball bag in the final fantasy series?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    So we're agreed? Zidane is the best protagonist from the PSX era? :D

I'll say Ramza Beoulve from FF Tactics just to be a dick. But yeah I liked Zidane. He was no Vivi though.
    Mario007 wrote: »
    With regards to AC, I don't if you've seen the Complete version of it. It has much better pacing and it's much more enjoyable.

Advent Children had far more problems than just being badly paced. I doubt it'll make me like it considering it was one of the worst things I've ever had to sit through.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Advent Children had far more problems than just being badly paced. I doubt it'll make me like it considering it was one of the worst things I've ever had to sit through.

AC was terrible. I was always skeptical about Squenix doing films since Spirits Within, and after wanting to see more of this universe for so long it utterly disappointed. Kadaj was also a terribly weak villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He was no Vivi though.

Vivi was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Vivi was great.

Vivi is probably one of my favorite ff character's next to Yuna.

I loved Lightning in XIII though purely because she had no problem with punching Snow in his dumb face for saying the most stupid crap. At least Hope had an excuse for being a crap character, he's a teenager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just playing through VII again. I'd forgotten quite a lot about Cloud's story since playing Crisis Core. Loved Lightning's character. Made XIII so worth the money (£10 in Sainsburys).

Is VIII any good? Toying with the idea of getting it off the PSN. Never played IX either come to that.

I didn't think AC got such a bashing. I thought it was quite good if somewhat light on the story.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Just playing through VII again. I'd forgotten quite a lot about Cloud's story since playing Crisis Core. Loved Lightning's character. Made XIII so worth the money (£10 in Sainsburys).

Is VIII any good? Toying with the idea of getting it off the PSN. Never played IX either come to that.

I didn't think AC got such a bashing. I thought it was quite good if somewhat light on the story.
    absolute bat**** story with like 3 sorceressess, group amnesia and a 18 year old kid going from passing a test to enter the army type thing to a week later commanding the whole thing. Oh and it's eaily broken the draw system if you know how.

All in all I ****ing loved it as it was my first!

What Raze_them_all said is pretty much on't money re VIII.
    Its mental. The game play mechanics are also a bit mental but that mentalism goes on for ever and the gameplay-story integration is similar to VII in some rather good ways.

Its not as good as VII but despite its many flaws (Junctioning spells, Zell etc.) its a great game.

IX is brilliant. Not as mental as VIII, not as rich in terms of gameplay tricks or involving in terms of character development as the previous two. But it has really good charachters (bar that red fecker), graphics really well suited to the hardware, some great mob design well worth a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

8 is worth it for the card game alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

VIII has lots of problems but I'd still recommend it since it's just a heap of fun. I'd recommend IX over it which for me was the best of the PS1 games excluding tactics.

IX really deserves repeated plays.

First time I played it I didn't understand the abilities system whatsoever and thought it was shit, but went back to it - I think largely based on you waxing on about it retro - and it really is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I loved FFIX but I didn't like the battles, I felt they were too sluggish and Trance was just annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looks like VIII and IX are going to be purchased. Thanks!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I've played IX at least once every year since I got it. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

A fair bit into disc two of VIII and I've gotta say, Squall is seeming like a bit of a dick. Whenever a dialogue option comes up I constantly choose the nicest one to vainly try balancing him out a bit.

A far cry from the likes of Cloud, or even Tidus, he just seems like the stereotypical angsty teenager taken to the extreme.

This thread's title still gives me a little giggle every time I see it :pac:

A fair bit into disc two of VIII and I've gotta say, Squall is seeming like a bit of a dick. Whenever a dialogue option comes up I constantly choose the nicest one to vainly try balancing him out a bit.

A far cry from the likes of Cloud, or even Tidus, he just seems like the stereotypical angsty teenager taken to the extreme.

169732.png

Alright, just got VIII of the PSN. Let's see how it goes. Ta for the recommendations all!

Advertisement