Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to upgrade board?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I started surfing last august. I can now stand up on the board, ride green

waves, turn left and right. turn right on the wave and go across it, I can go

left also, but not so great. I can ride to the end of the wave and

I can then if the wave is ok(easy to ride) make an attempt at turning

the board the opposite direction. I think it's called carving the board. I

wouldn't call it that as I probably don't do it right:D. Anyway my question is I

am on a NSP 7 6". Is it time to move to another board? or should I just keep

surfing?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Sounds like you are doing fine.

If you feel the board is hold you back in some way then maybe.

What are you after - going shorter or moving to a longboard?

I'd see what you can pick up second hand or borrow before I commiting to buying a new board that you could just it get wrong, read up research what features you want in a short board. I've seen people move from a beginners board to a short board, get the wrong one and then get fustrated and move to a longboard. What ever you do keep the 7'6 if you can so you can have fun on it while getting to grips with the new board.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Sounds like you are doing fine.

If you feel the board is hold you back in some way then maybe.

What are you after - going shorter or moving to a longboard?

I'd see what you can pick up second hand or borrow before I commiting to buying a new board that you could just it get wrong, read up research what features you want in a short board. I've seen people move from a beginners board to a short board, get the wrong one and then get fustrated and move to a longboard. What ever you do keep the 7'6 if you can so you can have fun on it while getting to grips with the new board.

I want to try go shorter to see how that goes, Maybe a fish? 6 6" or 6 10"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

What height/weight are you?

What height/weight are you?

5 9" 10 stone 12lbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

That board will do you for a few years yet, that said some bargins on the market at mo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

would not drop so quick or so small, you want to be hitting top and bottom turns and be able to cut back a bit all on green waves before you change, shorter board means less waves and thus less riding time. so will take you longer to learn skills mentioned above, that you need for riding short boards. if you are getting bored with your board get some decent coaching on it and you will see how much more you can get out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

i agree with Ben. I had a 7'2 fibre glass, could stand up on it and turn etc, but since i went back to my 7'6 i've improved loads

Revisiting this thread I started back in May, surfing a Nsp 7 6" i'm 5 9" 152lbs and fitness wise I

am in very good shape( swim run cycle alot) I am getting on green waves doing bottom and top

turns, i wouldn't say they are too hot mind you, but I am still doing them. Pop up is an issue(using

knee a bit), but it is something i've been told i can fix easily.

I feel i am at a stage where I am trying to turn the board more or want to turn the board more on

the wave, but i am not able to move the board that much. spoke to a couple or surf shops and

basically was told to go for something around 7 ft area.The confusion now is on one hand i am

being shown boards like circle one one and cortez, then reading some people online saying these

boards are rubbish and to go for a custom board etc. A custom board is way out of my price

range at the moment unless i could get something 2nd hand, but i don't see many floating about.

any ideas on what make or type of board i should look at??

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

my experience as a person around your level of ability is that a fibre glass 7'6 or 7'4 is a whole different ball game to an NSP 7'6. Glide surfboards are very very reasonably priced and you can tell him what you want and get a board for life, rather than going to a shop and getting a glassed board that you might not be able to ride. I have two glide surf boards. One a 7'2 glassed, excellent ride, but when i came off my NSP to it i regressed significantly again and took several weeks to get back to the same level as i was on the NSP. Even now if i'm learning a new manoeuvre i'll try it on the NSP first.
    Also using the knee on a glassed board isn't great, they really do respond much more significantly to bad habits and as a result slow down much more. Also you can excessively pressure ding your deck with your knee. Perfect the pop up on the NSP first and then move over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i would def continue working on the pop up, it's the most essential part of surfing (after paddling) and absolutely has to be nailed before going to a more responsive board. an nsp and a fibreglass board are two different animals, any knee drag or defficiencies in pop up will be greatly magnified.
    i can understand you prob don't want to hear that but it's the truth.
    a 7"6' board is not huge by any measure and is more than moveable enough for most surfing.

when you're getting a board, glide seem good alright, i've a board on order from them def best value custom in ireland after some extensive research i did a few months ago when sourcing my new board.

as for cheap boards, avoid like the plague. the cheaper cores and low quality resin make for a pig of a board. handling doesn't suffer as much as structural integrity. i've only ever had two of these cheap (asian my ones) boards. both snapped in half in conditions they should have been able for. one of them actually snapped twice and i was dumb enough to get it fixed after the first break. going to make a clock or something out of one of the halves :D

whatever you end up doing, good luck with it and keep the stoke alive!

lamai wrote: »
    A custom board is way out of my price range at the moment unless i could get something 2nd hand, but i don't see many floating about.

you are looking in the wrong places,
    adverts.ie donedeal.ie and gumtree.ie all have lots of boards going cheap. Try to get something that hasn't been surfed lots as short boards loose their spring after a while and surf a bit dead or so I'm told I longboard so don't know first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

adverts.ie donedeal.ie and gumtree.ie all have lots of boards going cheap. Try to get something that hasn't been surfed lots as short boards loose their spring after a while and surf a bit dead or so I'm told I longboard so don't know first hand.

Good advice, i'd also look out to make sure the board is watertight, no delamination near any repairs, that's the cancer of boards, expensive and hard to remedy.

I'm looking at a 7ft funboard type not really a shortboard, I will try and perfect my pop up in the next few weeks, but will sell my nsp and move on to

another board as i am getting a wee bit bored with it. I was told that a 7ft funboard/ fat boy flyer/ big fish or thruster will move alot more than an nsp.

Advertisement