Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing dog pee from carpet

• 23-05-2011 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

My ex's dog pee'd on the carpet on Saturday night. Thankfully both herself and the dog are gone (not pee related). A bad attempted was made at cleaning it that night.

I covered the area in salt the next day after she tried to clean it with disinfectant, then used some spray to remove pet smells from a pet shop. Neither have worked and the carpet still has a bit of a smell off it.

I cleaned it again with the spray from the pet shop this morning, just waiting for it to dry. Has anyone any ideas how to eliminate this completely ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 Spitfire_24

We hired the rug doctor from atlantic homecare after our monster had a few accidents while we were house training her, found it brilliant. we had tried various other carpet cleaning sprays that hadn't worked previous to hiring the rug doctor. my sister uses mouthwash if her lot have any accidents and swears that it helps. hope thats any use to ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just in the process of booking Chemdry to come and do it properly. I have a very sensitive nose so decided to get it done professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We had a bit os an accident the other day with one of ours, didn't realise it was there for a few hours so it had time to soak in (lovely).

First, got out the towels to soak up as much as possible.

Then out with the biological washing detergent in hot water - soaked the area - then lots of clean towels to soak up as much liquid as possible, repeated.

Still not out, so used enzyme cleaner from the pet shop, disinfected, rinsed and repeated.

Still not out (frustration kicking in!) so left to dry over night... lovely smell in the morning... vinegar in hot water (1 to 10), soaked the area, loads of towels (and a very p!ssed off OH due to all the requests to jump on the patch!), rinsed, more towels (and jumping), biological method again and left to dry.

Mostly dry that evening so covered with cat litter and bicarb of soda over night - vacuumed up the next day and the honk was gone! Wohoo! Small miracle :D

A professional would probably be easier on the nerves and the shoulders (not to mention the OHs legs!) but, damn it, it felt very good when the sitting room no longer smelled like a urinal! Would really like to get a steamer to super clean all the carpets, give the carpet a new lease of life too!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I find Vanish carpet (Hand shampoo) very good - gives it a good clean. use it anytime my westie puppy has a bit of an accident - then I whip out the vacuum cleaner, with a bita shake and vac. job done.

Advertisement