Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rooflight a bit loose - how to fix ?

• 23-05-2011 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Twice in the last few months my rear rooflight has popped open while driving.

Upon close inspection it seems a little loose, and is not as tight or secure as the front rooflight is when it is closed.

As the rooflight itself seems to slide forward and back a little, this means the little catches that hold it closed aren't catching correctly sometimes.

(BTW : Click all pics for bigger image, and click the bigger image then for a full size image)

Here's the catch in a pretty good position :
    imag0343y.th.jpg

Here's it moved back a bit - as you can see it would be pretty easy for it to pop if the wind got under it:
    imag0344q.th.jpg

Could this be happening because the handle itself on the rooflight seems loose also ?

Check these photos where the handle itself attaches to the rooflight - as you can see there a bit of give in it (especially if I compare it to the other rooflight):
    imag0345a.th.jpg and imag0346u.th.jpg

So - is it possible to tighten the handles in any way, or is that not really the issue ?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks meercat - this may be a solution if I can't fix the rooflight itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

where the handle is affixed to the skin , the plastic has probably started to give way . Can you drive a Stainless steel screw down from the top , to firm it up? Besie where it was plastic welded originally? Witha little sealer on the screw .

I'll have a look if I can figure out how to remove the rooflight....
    Is it from the bottom where the the little spring levers on either side connect the rooflight to the main shell of the motorhome ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

There will be sikaflex or somekind of mastic on the top part too, if you can screw down through it like Aidan suggested I wouldn't remove it you're just making work for yourself.

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'll have a look if I can figure out how to remove the rooflight....
    Is it from the bottom where the the little spring levers on either side connect the rooflight to the main shell of the motorhome ?

nope , from the top down into the handle , through the lid. you can take the lid off to work on it , without lifting the frame , normally .

you can take the lid off to work on it , without lifting the frame , normally .
    Sorry - what I actually meant is, can I remove the rooflight lid (i.e. the part that lifts up) from from the frame/bracket part of the rooflight, i.e remove it from the middle part of the 3 sections in the following picture :
    rooflight.th.png

You're saying I can, but I'm not sure how - is it by screwing out the little screws on the spring levers / opening handles that attach the lid to the frame part of the rooflight (again, the middle bit on the pic above) ?
    (Sorry for the stupid question )

there's no such thing as a stupid question , rather there are silly people who won't ask simple questions!

Got itin one , open them 4 screws , and Robert's your mother's brother.

Excellent - now to get the time to do it :)

I'll report back on my findings (probably the weekend sometime)

I actually got a chance to have a look this evening.

The handles are a little loose where they attach to the lid, but it turns out one of the screws attaching to the frame (The ones I needed to remove to take the lid off) was quite loose and allowed quite a bit of movement of the lid.

I tightened up all the screws so it takes a little more effort to open the rooflight (as opposed to just squeezing the handles and lightly pushing) so I think that may be enough.

If the problem re-occurs I'll have to go with the screw through the lid approach, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Thanks again for all the help !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement