Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats still freaked by new dog

• 23-05-2011 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

We got a 1 yr old rescue dog a month ago. We were told he was good with cats but it seems he's not. He barks at and chases them constantly. We have 2 cats.

The cats have lots of safe places to hide (they are allowed upstairs - dog is not) and have their beds up high in the utility room, dog sleeps in kitchen.

But the problem lies in the fact that the cats are so freaked out that they are attacking us and each other. They used to get on really well and loved the kids. On two occasions my daughter has gone to rub the cat and he has scratched her quite badly. He normally adores her.

Its very upsetting as we've had them for 9 years and they must come first.

I'm thinking of getting a dog obedience trainer out but I'm not sure if they can sort out the problem. We knew the cats would be put out but thats why we were very choosy about getting a dog that was good with cats but he isn't after all. We thought things would have settled down by now, but instead they are worse.

What to do????? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Penname wrote: »
    We got a 1 yr old rescue dog a month ago. We were told he was good with cats but it seems he's not. He barks at and chases them constantly. We have 2 cats.

The cats have lots of safe places to hide (they are allowed upstairs - dog is not) and have their beds up high in the utility room, dog sleeps in kitchen.

But the problem lies in the fact that the cats are so freaked out that they are attacking us and each other. They used to get on really well and loved the kids. On two occasions my daughter has gone to rub the cat and he has scratched her quite badly. He normally adores her.

Its very upsetting as we've had them for 9 years and they must come first.

I'm thinking of getting a dog obedience trainer out but I'm not sure if they can sort out the problem. We knew the cats would be put out but thats why we were very choosy about getting a dog that was good with cats but he isn't after all. We thought things would have settled down by now, but instead they are worse.

What to do????? :(

Your cats are obviously the source of the problem and are teasing the dog. Get rid of the cats... problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Perhaps get in touch with the rescue you got the dog from and explain the situation. They may be able to point you in the right direction re dog trainers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Resident animals come first. If the dog is not only not getting along with the cats, but is causing them such extreme stress that they're becoming aggressive to each other, it is something you need to address.

I agree that you should return to the rescue and see what assistance they can give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

A month isn't really that long. Any dog will try to chase - if allowed. It's up to you to break that, find yourself a trainer to show you how. It's not fair to blame the rescue, dogs that are good with cats will still bark and chase if they get the chance, it's play - good with cats means that they won't attack and hurt them. Don't give up, it's still early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Your cats are obviously the source of the problem and are teasing the dog. Get rid of the cats... problem solved.

Wow, that's really helpfull................not.:mad:

Why don't you try and train the dog?
    Introduce the dog to the cats in a controlled way - on a lead, and give the dog high value rewards such as chicken pieces when he does what you want him to do.
    You want the dog to ignore the cats and look to you for the treat.
    Soon enough, he will recognise that cats around = tasty chicken treats when he is well behaved.
    Problem solved.
    We have two dogs and two cats, and that's the way they were socialized.
    Finally, make sure that the dogs food and toys are kept away from the cats, as you don't want him to be given reasons to be aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Sassy58

We have had this problem with foster dogs that we take in - we have 5 cats - we have one cat who doesn't run and who will literally sit there and beat the hell out of the dog/pup until it realises that it is not cool to jump on the cat - they quickly learn to advoid her - as for the others they are runners which means the dogs see it as a game.

When we get a dog we are not sure of around cats we normally do the introductions SLOWLY - first week we swap blankets - so after the cats and dogs have slept on the blankets swap them around so they get use to each others smells.

Then we put the dog on a lead and harness and we let the cats come into the room leaving them a clear line of escape if they want. The dog is kept on a short leash and is given rewards for ignoring the cats. We only do this for 2 minutes the first time and slowly over 2/3 weeks we extend the time - every time we call the dog and he response and ignores the cats he is given a treat - if he tries to lunge for the cats or that he is told NO sharply and given a time out in the back garden for 30 seconds and then let back in.

When they are not mixing there is a sitting room door between the cats and dogs at all times so the cats are not freaked (I know this is not easy for people who have indoor/outdoor cats - ours are indoors so its easy to do)....bit by bit the dog is given more leash to move around in the room with the cats but know we only give a treat every 2nd or 3rd time we get his attention.

This has worked for all the dogs that we have fostered and at the moment we have 4 dogs and 5 cats in the house so have to he doing something right.

The test will be when the cats are having their "funny half hour" and tearing around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have posted a couple of cynical comments here, which were intended as a tongue in cheek response to what I believe is a bigger problem.

I would like to clarify my thoughts & hopefully add some constructive comment to the thread.

OP, you have a volotile situation on your hands here. You have introduced a dog into an environment already occupied by a family of cats - both species are territorial & are well known for fighting; playing; chasing. Apart from the issue of the animals not getting on, you also have young children who are also brought into this situation and have already suffered minor abrasions/injuries due to what is a volatile situation. From your comments, you did nothing at the early stages to integrate the various animals - also, from what I am reading into your comments, I don't believe you sought advice or did any research into the situation you were creating.

I would suggest you seek professional advice for your situation as I believe you have allowed the situation to gop on for too long without addressing it. I would also go as far as suggesting that you completely separate the two animal species for now & reintroduce them in a manner that is calculated and well thought out.

I am concerned for the animals involved as what you have provided them with is a very stressful environment for both the cats and the dog - a situation which has the potential to turn nasty. Lets not forget that the children are also part of this environment & their safety is important too.

Pet ownership comes with responsibility; caring for & particularly re-homing an animal should not be done without considering the animal/their previous situation & the impact of their new environment first...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm definitely going to try sticking him on a lead and giving him treats when he ignores the cats. I have an app with a trainer too so hopefully that should help. We have managed to train him to a degree since getting him, including gradual introduction to our cats but it just hasn't been successful.

Blue foam, patronise much? As a qualified vet nurse (retired since having kids) I found your implying that I have no clue about keeping pets amusing. Unfortunately, my issue with the cats goes deeper than any of my training so I need further assistance, hence my posting for advice. Thanks all the same though. :rolleyes:

Penname please make sure that the trainer you are getting in doesn't use any cruel methods for correcting the situation and that they are actually fully qualified - mind you in saying that there are some dodgie qualified ppl out there - I got a trainer out when we got our last dog as she is a large breed and came from a puppy farm and to say for most of the sitting I sat with my mouth open - one of her wonderful insights was to make the animal beg for water - like that was every going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

WTF Sassy? Never heard of that before - making him beg for water? Sounds like a right quack.

The person we are getting is someone we used to recommend to clients where I worked and we always got great feedback. She uses positive reinforcement techniques.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah - this person and her company are VERY well known in Dublin and sadly I was not the only one who she has given misguided information to - thankfully we had 2 other dogs and the only reason I had really got her in was how to deal with a dog who was indifferent to humans not that she had behaviourly problems but just how to make her enjoy being part of a family as she had never really had contact with humans as she has been locked in a shed and as a large & restricted breed I needed her to be comfortable around me.

I know of 2 other people who went to the companies classes on the Southside and witnessed a german sheppard puppy being smacked across the nose with a chain and being raised off the ground by a choke chain.

Its scarey the people out there who call themselves trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

In the meantime to calm nerves you could try one of those Feliway diffusers for the cats. I think you can get a spray version as well as Im sure it would be expensive to get a diffuser for each room they are in.

Yeah the plug-ins only work within a certain distance - you could also get rescue remedy for the water for both cats and dog. The english sites you can get the feliway much cheaper then buying it in the vets here

Advertisement