Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Porridge Oats portion size

Options
  • 23-05-2011 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I've started eating raw porridge oats with some nuts and other stuff but I'm starting to think the portion sizes are too big. I buy the Flahavans Organic porridge oats and it says a 40g portion has about 154 cals. However when I weigh out 40g of raw porridge oats it seems an awful lot.

Is it possible that guide is 40g guide refers to fully made porridge?

I don't like porridge itself, but I like the raw oats mixed with some fruit and a yoghurt. Just want to make sure I'm not eating too much.

From what I remember, the guide doesn't say "40g with milk" or whatever.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use a small coffee cup probably 100ml in capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

G-Money wrote: »
    I weigh out 40g of raw porridge oats it seems an awful lot.

Is it possible that guide is 40g guide refers to fully made porridge?
    No, it would be dry, 30-40g is a normal quoted portion, which I think is quite small. Are you sure your scale is OK? some may give bad readings at lower weights, one way to check is with water, a standard shot glass here is 35.5ml, and that in water will be ~35.5grams. Another check is to weigh out 5 portions of 40g, filling a bowl as you go, then add them all back in one go and see if the scales says 200g (5x40g), if it is over 200g then you know it is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think my scales are ok. I use them to weigh out rice and pasta and that seems about right for the portion sizes (usually unsatisfying so I know they must be about right :D )

Maybe its just that the porridge oats raw are quite light and it takes a lot to make up 40g. I'd say when I put them into a cereal bowl, it's about half full at most.

I might just cut back a wee bit to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

40g is very small.

I measure out 80g each morning, with 220ml skimmed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think perhaps if you're eating them raw, 40g is a lot - the 40g I see on the side of the bag I have is referring to a recipe for cooked porridge for two people (but I've got pinhead oats, not rolled oats, so YMMV).

BTW, just to hijack, pinhead oats take forever to cook compared to rolled, but damn is it ever worth the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 luminosity

40g oats dry weight 155.6 kcal, fibre 4.2g, fat 2.8g carbs 26.5 protein 6.8g.
    Oats believe it or not are a 'superfood'. They're a good source of B vitamins and some minerals. They are a greater proportion of soluble fibre than any other grain. They lower your total and LDL cholesterol, and they balance your blood sugar. 40g is a normal sized potion, its about the size of a very full ramekin dish. A table spoon of seeds mixed and you get your omega 3s in. Throw in some blueberries and and give your body a vit C boost :-).
    Just incase anyones interested !!

Advertisement