Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar, have the basics down ...where next?

• 23-05-2011 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi all, have ben learning the acoustic guitar since xmas and completed a 10 week course where I got most of the basics such as major and minor chords, some fingerpicking, basic scales, learned a few songs - the usual suspects, Knocking on heavens door, One, Hey Joe, Halleluhiaj, Heart of Gold etc.
    My favourite types of music would be probably folky stuff like Neil Young and would like to get better at this type of music but more lessons are out for a while because of cost reasons.
    I would love to learn more about theory and solos as well as more strumming and fingerstyles but the info that is out there is vast and I don't know really where to go next.
    I have looked at a few online sites but again there is so much out there I'm not sure if I am studying thre right stuff also online doesn't really suit as I get up early to practice in a quiet room without a computer while family sleeps upstairs.
    I need to progress properly as such and don't want big holes in my learning if you get me? Any help or advice, books etc. would be appreciated.
    Anyone else play this kind of stuff on acoustic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

If you don't want big gaps in your learning you will need to get proper training and go through your grades.

Self learning inevitably involves gaps in your learning. Your style will eventually be shaped as much by what you don't know and what you can't do as much as what you do and can respectively. This can be a good and a bad thing but it is a limit that you set yourself. How limiting it is depends on how organised and clever you are with self learning + how much input other people have on the process. The more external input the better really since you get to see how others do things and how its better or worse than the way you do things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 whiteknucles

Thanks for that, you mention grades, is there a syllabus as such for the acoustic guitar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Have you looked at www.justinguitar.com
    It has a structured lesson plan with videos for all the lessons and its free!

Advertisement