Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Buggy

Options
  • 23-05-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before!

When my baby is born, my son will be 2. We will need to invest in a double buggy. We don't want anything very expensive, and preferably one of those ones where the children sit behind each other in a line (the side-by-side ones seem very wide). Does anyone have any good recommendations for a double buggy?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We have this:

http://www.philtedsdoublebuggy.co.uk/

Same as you: one son was 2 when the other lad was born.

Find it grand. Thankfully the kids like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Phil & Ted is very versatile. We've used it more than any other buggy we've had. The kids prefer it too. Even fits 3 kids at a push* Not cheap though!

*not officially and probably not safely

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Thanks for all the replies, I must take a look at all the reccomendations. They cost so much, I want to make sure we are getting a good one, but not too expensive either! Must have a look at ebay as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We're looking at a Jane Twin Pro at the moment. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Also- has anyone tried the place that buy and sell secondhand pushchairs and accessories in Celbridge (the guys in work are raving about it). I've no idea of how they are pricewise- or what they have- would be interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with them.

Thanks!

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

have a look at adverts.ie too,there are often people selling perfect buggies.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    have a look at adverts.ie too,there are often people selling perfect buggies.

Thanks Moonbeam.
    Did you get a double buggy yourself?
    I guess Dearbhail probably is zooming around the place and doesn't need one?
    Shane Jnr is showing absolutely no intention of walking anytime soon- regardless of how I try to encourage him. :( At least he is eating a lot better!

Edit- me bad- I only scanned your post from yesterday...... Teaches me to pay more attention!

The Jane is lovely and was on sale for 299,but the weight of it and it doesn't fold small so would not go in my boot.I could not have coped with it at all.
    I use the sling a lot but love my double buggy:)

Dearbhail was slow to walk too and only waled in the end because I was hugging another baby and she was showing off for attention!

Who had it on sale @ 299?
    I'm looking at getting one second hand- but if I can show it new @ 299- I'll get it for even less....... :)

I *need* a payrise :(

lol Eurobaby in town had a few of the Janes for 299 months ago.

The Britax B dual is worth a look.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay10A_45_10751_14603_-1__14051_14051_10001_14051 a good selection of tandems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I used the Graco Stadium tandem buggy when the girls were small.. we'd no car so getting it in a boot didn't matter.. sold it on when we got the car.. now we need it again as ben will be under 2 when this one comes. .
    I was thinking of one of the smaller ones where one child sit's almost underneath the other, but i saw a parent seriously struggle to get the back child out .. kinda put me right off.. at least when they're both the same height there's no bending for ages trying to get them strapped in... or maybe she was just being awkward ..:D which child sit's underneath ??
    Ben's very quick on his feet but tends not to hold my hand and wants to go his own direction.. so i couldn't just let him walk yet. . and i've tried the harness and he just wanted me to lift him by the strap... he thought it was hilarious..joker like his dad:rolleyes:
    Decisions decisions...
    I did see one in smyths, can't remember the model name but it was €99 and it was identical to the Graco tandem that i had. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I used the Graco double buggy.It was very sturdy and fit no problem in boot of the car. Myself and the 2 kids loved it. As they got older they would run to see who could sit in the back as it was slightly higher then the front seat.

I think the buggies that has one of the kids nearly sitting on the ground are awful.....kids want to be sitting up looking around at whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

the gracos are sturdy alright, however when i used one I found my daughter at 5 mths was already too long for the lay-down usage, but not big enough to sit-up. Found the same in my own safetly first one and my sisters cosatto. with the safety first my son was too big for the front seat at only 2yrs 6mths too and there was no way he could sleep in the seat.
    I bought a secondhand phil and teds and found it great. I am gong to have a prob again tho, as my new baby is huge and i cant see him fitting the baby cocoon for much longer and he is only 3mths, no way he can sit-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There isn't a "right" answer to this as its very different for everyone.

We had a Graco double buggy for a while which was fine when they were smaller but once they get bigger it gets much hard to push than something with tyres. But they are cheap and sturdy. Best budget option maybe.

We tried a the Phil and Ted's and its probably a good compromise, but we found the bigger kids didn't fit well, the head bar was a problem. Its also is unbalanced and tips easier than other buggies. Fingers a bit close to the wheels too. Anyone I know who has one, loves them and works around this. Its the best all rounder.

Jane Twin Pro was just too small. Though we have another single Jane for many years and its been brilliant.

We then went for a out and about nipper double. Obviously its bigger and wider. So you either have the space for that or you don't. But we've found it the best. Its used daily on the school run. Takes bigger kids, loads of space, no tipping issues. Easiest to push, because the weight is balanced better than the Phil and Ted.

But we have other single buggies to use, and we overlapped with the Graco for a while. We found other people passed on buggies to us, and we passed on ours. So which buggy we used kinda changed depending on what we were doing. Theres great value second hand, as many people end up not using their buggies that much, and they are much cheaper 2nd hand. Our Graco was like new when we gave it away. (Couldn't sell it)

Advertisement