Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.56 ammo belt clip

• 23-05-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere local i could pick up a 5.56 ammo clip as all the usual suspects in asia are out of stock.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Tried mia? Theyre asg's main supplier and asg do make them....:)

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

No, thats an inert ammo belt, which though they arent live rounds they are legally counted as such under irish law, you want a replica 5.56 ammo belt. If customs have a gawk at the flecktarn inert ammo belt theyll have a fit:D

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    No, thats an inert ammo belt, which though they arent live rounds they are legally counted as such under irish law, you want a repilca 5.56 ammo belt. If customs have a gawk at the flecktarn inert ammo belt theyll have a fit:D

No they aren't.:confused: And frankly they are much better value than the ASG ones.

The are inert. No charge in them and if you look at the caseing, it's already spent. In fact the ASG ones probably look more real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Funny, you can get a belt of de-activated 7.62mm in Army Bargains.
    Counts as live ammo you say? Funny in my years of being a dirty rocker - not once has a garda taken me up over the bullet belt I had around my waist...

/Lefty remembers his days of thrash metal, bullet belts and chains...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

look more real than real ones?

Sorry, but the 'replica' bullet belts for mgs look crap. they're too shiny. Real bullets look like that... Deact bullets are perfectly legal as far as im aware. If they aren't, an aweful lot of Irish players have them...

Hell lemming has a 100 round belt of 7.62 he wears with his vietnam 60 gunner loadout... bought in Ireland.

if you want short lengths, rather than say... 40 (dispite being great value)
    try here...
    Bulletshop

two of the 4.99 packs gives you 10 rounds linked, which is exactly the length from feed tray to box mag .

swiftblade wrote: »
    No they aren't.:confused: And frankly they are much better value than the ASG ones.

The are inert. No charge in them and if you look at the caseing, it's already spent. In fact the ASG ones probably look more real.

1.—(1) In this Act—

the word “firearm” means a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged;

the word “ammunition” (except where used in relation to a prohibited weapon) means ammunition for a firearm but also includes grenades, bombs, and other similar missiles whether the same are or are not capable of being used with a firearm, and also includes any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile;

Above quoted from the Firearms act 1925
    section 1- definitions
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0017/sec0001.html#sec1

So legally a cartridge case is on the same level as having a live round.
    It may be a prevailing practice but that in no way makes it legal.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

DICEMAN7 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere local i could pick up a 5.56 ammo clip as all the usual suspects in asia are out of stock.

Yeah...i know a guy,...........

rambo.jpg

i think he can do ya a deal...

components that are unfired and unused, ie, new, yes.
    However as Ireland inherited this law from the UK, it also if you look possibly inherited the clause regarding spent cartridges.
    If its classed as spent.
    its legal to own and sell.
    if its an unused component? no.
    Bullet belts, for example, typically have the firing cap dented (fired), and are simply the bullet put back into the jacket afterwards (fired into geletin typically)
    These are spent, and legal. if its got a flat firing cap, hell, avoid it. Its possibly live. The dented firing cap is how one tells its used, spent, or deactivated.
    If you own reeloading kit, sure, you'll be done. But a bullet belt? nobody would be able to take that to court. I've seen plenty of Irish airsofters with link, or brass in thier kit. If it were illegal, it would have been dealt with by now. Especially considering the hard general stance on firearms.
    otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    1.—(1) In this Act—

the word “firearm” means a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged;

the word “ammunition” (except where used in relation to a prohibited weapon) means ammunition for a firearm but also includes grenades, bombs, and other similar missiles whether the same are or are not capable of being used with a firearm, and also includes any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile;

Above quoted from the Firearms act 1925
    section 1- definitions
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1925/en/act/pub/0017/sec0001.html#sec1

So legally a cartridge case is on the same level as having a live round.
    It may be a prevailing practice but that in no way makes it legal.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

This law is dated 1925. and is not inherited(as you put it). Unless you have a law degree relevant to Irish Law, it might be safer not to offer advice on what is legal or not.

The Irish Free State was founded in 1922.

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstood my point there. I was suggesting that this law, or clause probably used existing English law as its foundation(the same wording exists in our law too, I recognise it from the uk 1920 firearms act) given that the Free State inherited most of its Legal and govornmance frameworks from the UK at its foundation in 1922, its not a far stretch to consider this could be drawn from the UK's existing legislature. Or, as this pertains to a less central concern, added afterwards in 1925 (a short period of time in legistlative terms).

Firekitten wrote: »
    components that are unfired and unused, ie, new, yes.
    However as Ireland inherited this law from the UK, it also if you look possibly inherited the clause regarding spent cartridges.
    If its classed as spent.
    its legal to own and sell.
    if its an unused component? no.
    Bullet belts, for example, typically have the firing cap dented (fired), and are simply the bullet put back into the jacket afterwards (fired into geletin typically)
    These are spent, and legal. if its got a flat firing cap, hell, avoid it. Its possibly live. The dented firing cap is how one tells its used, spent, or deactivated.
    If you own reeloading kit, sure, you'll be done. But a bullet belt? nobody would be able to take that to court. I've seen plenty of Irish airsofters with link, or brass in thier kit. If it were illegal, it would have been dealt with by now. Especially considering the hard general stance on firearms.

Given that the act specifically states component ie case, primer, head, and ingredient ie propellant legally a case from a spent cartridge is illegal to own, as would even be a spent primer.
    While it is riduculous sounding that is the current law on the subject, while you probably wouldnt be done for it given garda discretion that doesnt mean that you couldnt be done for it. Unless you have a source for saying that a spent case is legal to own without the relevant licence dont sprout an opinion as fact.
    My sources being several members of the shooting community and the firearms act 1925.

Your right, it does not specifically mention deactivated ammunition.
    But under Irish law, deactivated firearms are legal to own. Ie, not able to fire without replacement of parts.
    As deactivated rounds are also unable to be fired without replacment of parts, I would think they fall under this classification as no specific statement says otherwise.
    Yes, legally a part is illegal. But as a whole, is deactivated... The uk doesn't specifically mention deactivated ammunition either in our laws. However the vast majority of inert ammunition dealers would tend to follow that deact argument... I guess its one of those lovely legal grey areas we won't really know about...

hm, I'm going to go ask someone from the DOJ his opinion on it. I guess thats the only real way to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Firekitten wrote: »
    hm, I'm going to go ask someone from the DOJ his opinion on it. I guess thats the only real way to know.

If you can get a reply in writing and can post it publically it would be great.

When I've asked in the past my local firearms officer the've said verbally
    that shells are ok but would never commit to going on record.

As absurd and ridiculous as the laws are here regarding whats considered
    a component part of a firearm there have been court cases as far as I know
    with people ending up in court that involved empty shell casings.

If everyone in Ireland was to be charged for this it would mean,
    Metalers, Bikers, Gadget shops, head shops, Army surplus stores, antique dealers, brass and trench art collectors, militeria collectors, lots of RDF heads, and poor grandad and ex-army types would all be in trouble.

@OP SE airsoft sell the airsoft version of a section of belt:
    http://www.seairsoft.net/product_details.php?id=1215&sub=15&subcat=Miscellaneous

~B

Will post up a written response, or official link if he directs me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Always thought they were illegal because you could reload them (like the AT-4 launch tube, illegal for anyone bar the Minister to own because we reload them). Anyway there are lots of 'illegal' things out there that people get away with doing because the cops have better things to do.

Now like most things in life the theoretical ability to do something vs the real world inability to do something doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

thanks for all the replies i have been sorted with some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Waynoc

Anyone know where I can source a section of a 7.62 ammo belt for my M60?

Advertisement