Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bandit or ninja?advice please

• 23-05-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to get my first bike in the next month or so. I have two choices lined up(both have to be under 33bhp due to license rules here in Ireland). I'm thinkin a new ninja 250r or a bandit 600 that's restricted. I'm 6 ft and 220 ish, i prefer the look of the bandit type bikes, but saying that the ninja is nice. Won't be using it for town riding much just mainly commutiong and rides on the weekend. I'm undecided but leaning towards the bandit. Advice??

Many Thanks
    Carl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

bandit out of the 2

Im afraid I dont rate the lil ninja at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'd go with the bandit..Lovely bike to ride,even when restricted..Ideal for doing your test on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

never been on a bandit but i traded my cbr600F (restricted) for a brand new ninja....i know i must be crazy or something.....

But i much prefer the ninja as i know when the power is going to stop, it happened all too often on the cbr that the power delivery just stops...it was due to the restricted ecu etc and thus i got rid as its no fun pulling out to overtake and the bike refusing to accelerate...

I must saw i love the ninja and i am 14st and 6ft and its easy to keep all speed limits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

He wouldnt have that problem on an old bandit though as they dont get restricted by an ECU.

I started on and still have a restricted bandit dude. Was a great bike to learn on.I still have fun on it most of te time but Admitedly im a bit bored of it sometimes already and want something with a bit more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Ive started on a lil ninja and I absolutely love it! It has a more comfortable riding position than most sports bikes. I especially love that, while its only a 250, you can actually push it to its its limits, and know when your getting every last horse the bike can offer!

You should definitely try to get some time sitting on both bikes before making a decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

At your size i think you might find the 250's riding position a bit squished, im only 5,8ish and someone parked there ninja 250 beside my cb400(very similar in size to a bandit) and it looked tiny compared it reminded me of the cbr125 i started on.

my cb400 is restricted and probably like any restricted bandit you wont notice the loss of power until you go up to about 7000rpm were you will just feel like your losing torque so you should change up a gear.. but that carries you up to 120kph no porblem and beyond(with a little patience) it's the same with my new bike the cbr600f it's restricted with washers and carb restrictors so has decent power until 7000rpm but then it just dissappears.

personally i think you should find the style of bike you prefer and get decent sized one that you can have for you prov/restricted licence/ and then full licence unrestricted... cause at least a restricted bandit has more to give after your two years are up, were as a 250 ninja is giving everything its got from day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Leftbehind

If you like the look of the bandit i'd suggest getting a hornet 250. I've had mine for over a year and had no major problems bar the one i'm tryin to fix right now which is the shock going on me but i doubt thats a problem with every hornet. You'd still have to get it restricted because its 40bhp apparently but even restricted it still has more power then the ninja and by the sounds of it, the cb400 too.. im about 5.8 ish also and only about 9,10 stone, don't know anymore, but maybe thats why its quick still but it's a very very very good bike and would recommend it to anyone. Might take a bit of looking though to find a clean one because you get a fair amount of lads that drive them into the ground but their worth it if you do find a nice one. Mine has 35k kilometres and it runs and sounds better then some i've seen with only 10k on them. All in all, great power, comfortable, same size as the old hornet 600-so bar the engine size feels like a 600, nice bike for long journeys also. Only problem is their kinda expensive but there has been cheaper ones floating about lately. I've brought mine to wexford and meath and enjoyed each drive. Hope this novel wasn't pointless for ye!!

Oh also very reliable as i commute everyday and have no problems with mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

I started on the baby ninja, very nice bike, smooth, flickable, good riding position, can keep with most other bikes,just a great all rounder with very decent speed for the size of the engine, very forgiving and it looks great tbh
    excellent starter bike I think, plus you have a fairing to hide behind in wet weather and long trips..
    almost miss the thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Leftbehind wrote: »
    If you like the look of the bandit i'd suggest getting a hornet 250.

Or a bandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another vote for the ninja. Really enjoyable fun bike and as has been said it doesn't embarrass itself, speed wise. Thinking of upgrading but in two minds tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement