Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Twin-go wrote: »
    You often here religious people say they prayed to God and he cured their illness. He is credited with curing every thing from the common cold through to thermal cancer. They feel their faith and prayers have been answered and that's great. What did God do to cure these people? Did he reward them for being faithful? did he simply answer their prayers?

As a Christian, this is a topic that has me ask the same questions tbh. I am often confused about the pulpit preaching of the power of prayer, and seeing congregations go into 'speaking in tongues' etc. (i don't deny this phenomena, but its still an area where I'm skeptical), and tbh, I can see why such a preaching is made. Jesus told us in Matt 7:

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
    9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Funnily enough, these same preachers will roundly condemn the parents of the diabetic who died, after her parents prayed to God for healing instead of seeking medical care. Christianity IMO, is very confusing in this area. We are told that faith the size of a mustard seed can give you the power through the Holy Spirit to literally tell a mountain to move. So is it that such faith does not exist anymore, or is it that the context was that these things were spoken to and for the Apostles? Or do they only apply in the context of Gods work. An interesting note, is that there were levels of power it seemed. Yet, there is one Holy Spirit. Honestly, I don't know if we truly know how it all works, but simply assert that we do. Ok, I'm starting to just think aloud here at the moment, so it probably reads as a stream of conciousness:)
    But take somebody equally faithful. Somebody that prays every day for Gods help. They too need his help but he does not answer their prayers. He does not "cure" them.

I think its a good and valid question. Honestly, I don't know. One thing that seems clear to me though, is that its not as straight forward as what Jesus tells us in Matthew, and the only reason I see that it is not that simple, is that we don't get the context with regards to who he was talking to (the assumption often made is that it applies to anyone), or what he was talking in relation to I.E. Was he saying, ask for what you need and it will be given, or was it, your needs will be given to you, in relation to the Kingdom.

Again, this is all me thinking out loud, and is a bit rambling.
    Why doesn't God cure amputees?

I don't know that he doesn't tbh.

My own personal musing at this point in time, is that before Armageddon, there will be prophets sent of God, and they will come with the power of God. They will probably be hated by not only the obvious enemies of God, but also by much of Christendom. My position on this is speculative btw, its just something that can explain the seemingly lack of Godly power in the world today (Though I have seen many trustworthy reports of powerful workings within the realms of Christian circles. Though, it SEEMS signs have not been granted to the masses like in Apostolic times) I.E. When it does come, there will be no denying where it came from. I think at this time, the honest atheist/muslim/hindu and even Christian with misplaced loyalties etc (those who truly can't see reason to believe in the Living God or believe in some pseudo version of him) may actually be granted open eyes. While the dishonest ones (those who's hearts are simply set against God) will be left blind.

Revelation 11

I was given a reed like a measuring rod and was told, “Go and measure the temple of God and the altar, with its worshipers. 2 But exclude the outer court; do not measure it, because it has been given to the Gentiles. They will trample on the holy city for 42 months. 3 And I will appoint my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth.” 4 They are “the two olive trees” and the two lampstands, and “they stand before the Lord of the earth.”[a] 5 If anyone tries to harm them, fire comes from their mouths and devours their enemies. This is how anyone who wants to harm them must die. 6 They have power to shut up the heavens so that it will not rain during the time they are prophesying; and they have power to turn the waters into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague as often as they want.
    7 Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them. 8 Their bodies will lie in the public square of the great city—which is figuratively called Sodom and Egypt—where also their Lord was crucified. 9 For three and a half days some from every people, tribe, language and nation will gaze on their bodies and refuse them burial. 10 The inhabitants of the earth will gloat over them and will celebrate by sending each other gifts, because these two prophets had tormented those who live on the earth.

11 But after the three and a half days the breath of life from God entered them, and they stood on their feet, and terror struck those who saw them. 12 Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ISAW wrote: »
    In the end they will believe or they wont and no amount of amputees growing limbs will convince them if they don't believe.

How about you start with one amputee growing back his limbs, and we will take it from there :p

God only cures people in ways that could equally be explained by natural occurrences or mistakes on the part of the observers. Odd that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Thanks for the replies Guys.

I sort of wanted to come at this from a different angle though, not the God doesn't cure amputees therefore God does not exist line. But PDN closed the thread and forced me to put the question here.:rolleyes:

I was wondering how people with strong faith and missing limbs accept that will not be cured (no go to Lourdes with one arm and come back with two moment) by God no matter how much they pray. How can they, when faced with this, still hold on to their faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I sort of wanted to come at this from a different angle though, not the God doesn't cure amputees therefore God does not exist line. But PDN closed the thread and forced me to put the question here.:rolleyes:

Indeed I did, and Zombrex's post has confirmed my belief that I was correct to do so. Now, we can continue to discuss it here, or you can start moaning about moderating decisions inthread in which case your ass will be banned.
    I was wondering how people with strong faith and missing limbs accept that will not be cured (no go to Lourdes with one arm and come back with two moment) by God no matter how much they pray. How can they, when faced with this, still hold on to their faith?

Miracles, by their very nature, are things that happen rarely. I don't know any Christian (other than a certifiable lunatic) who thinks God should serve up miracles on demand.

Doubtless we find it easier to believe for some things rather than others, and this goes beyond healing. It's easier to believe for God to answer a prayer for €10 than it is for a million euro. And faith, to some degree, is linked to answered prayer.

But I, for one, don't find it hard to hold on to my faith, even when I don't see my prayers answered. My faith is not in a God who meets my every want like a heavenly sugar daddy. My faith is in a God who loved me so much that he sent His Son to die for me and made it possible for me to be saved - and that remains true whether I get healed or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Zombrex wrote: »
    How about you start with one amputee growing back his limbs, and we will take it from there :p

How about you start paying attention? See the first line of my last post.
    Are you telling me that if ther was an amputee growing back a limb and you could not explain it you would believe God did it?

You are aware that if you want to ask a closed scientific question as to whether or not something psychic happened that a protocol and how we measure something has to be agreed in advance of the experiment/measurement being conducted?

I'm asking you if a person grows a limb and says "God did it" and science cant determine the limb is fake would that make you believe in God or would that constitute proof? I believe your answer will be "no". Care to contradict me?
    God only cures people in ways that could equally be explained by natural occurrences or mistakes on the part of the observers. Odd that :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lourdes_Medical_Bureau
    administered and run only by doctors. Its most noted function is the medical investigation of apparent cures associated with the shrine of Lourdes.

The Medical Bureau investigates the claim, by examining the patient, the casenotes, and any test results (which can include biopsies, X-rays, CT scans, blood test results, and so on).

If this conference decides that further investigation is warranted, the case is referred to the International Lourdes Medical Committee (abbreviated in French to CMIL), which is an international panel of about twenty experts in various medical disciplines and of different religious beliefs.

For a cure to be recognised as medically inexplicable, certain facts require to be established:

The original diagnosis must be verified and confirmed beyond doubt
    The diagnosis must be regarded as "incurable" with current means (although ongoing treatments do not disqualify the cure)
    The cure must happen in association with a visit to Lourdes, typically while in Lourdes or in the vicinity of the shrine itself (although drinking or bathing in the water are not required)
    The cure must be immediate (rapid resolution of symptoms and signs of the illness)
    The cure must be complete (with no residual impairment or deficit)
    The cure must be permanent (with no recurrence)

so your above criterion that it
    could equally be explained by natural occurrences or mistakes on the part of the observers.

Is clearly bunkum in the above cases!

As regards limb related cases...

Pieter De Rudder was a farm labourer, born Jabbeke July 2, 1822, died March 22, 1898[6]. His recovery from a broken leg (1875) is one of the most famous recognized Lourdes miracles (a bronze cast of his bones is exhibited in the Lourdes Medical Bureau

Elisa Aloi, later Elisa Varcalli

Visited Lourdes: 5 June 1958.

Age 27, from Patti, Sicily. Tuberculous osteoarthritis with fistulae at multiple sites in the right leg. Her cure was recognised on 26 May 1965.

Juliette Tamburini

Visited Lourdes: 17 July 1959.

Age 22, from Marseilles, France. Femoral osteoperiostitis with fistulae, epistaxis, for ten years. Her cure was recognised on 11 May 1965.

Vittorio Micheli

Visited Lourdes: 1 June 1963.

Age 23, from Scurelle, Italy. Sarcoma (cancer) of pelvis; tumour so large that his left thigh became loose from the socket, leaving his left leg limp and paralysed. After taking the waters, he was free of pain and could walk. By February 1964 the tumour was gone, the hip joint had recalcified, and he returned to a normal life. His cure was recognized on 26 May 1976.

Delizia Cirolli, later Delizia Costa

Visited Lourdes: 24 December 1976.

Age 12, from Paterno, Sicily. Ewing's sarcoma of right knee. Offered amputation by her doctors, her mother refused and took her to Lourdes instead. On returning to Italy, her tumour rapidly regressed until no remaining evidence existed, although it left her tibia angulated, which required an operation (osteotomy) to correct. Her cure was recognised on 28 June 1989. She went on to become a nurse.

• Advertisement

I am a great lover of Thomas who had to see it to believe it.
    There are some however who don't see and yet still believe. So I guess I'm a skeptic not a cynic.

As to your and Jimi times points.
    They to me seem a variation on the theme of "why does evil exist?"

Well look up Irenaean theodicy; Augustinian theodicy ;The Malthusiam concept of what might be today phrased as "we need stress". Leibniz also has a good take on the issue but I think Voltaire's Candide is a hilarious "touché" on it :)

I think the problem you may have is in trying to quantify units of faith. In the end one believes or one doesn't. It is boolian rather than quantized.

How about you start paying attention? See the first line of my last post.
    Are you telling me that if ther was an amputee growing back a limb and you could not explain it you would believe God did it?

No, but I would be much more open to the idea that he did over other alternative explains that don't invoke a super powerful deity.

But my point (if you were paying attention) is that we aren't even there yet.

All we have is the equivalent of coming home to find your window open and declaring "God did it!".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lourdes_Medical_Bureau
    administered and run only by doctors. Its most noted function is the medical investigation of apparent cures associated with the shrine of Lourdes.

The Medical Bureau investigates the claim, by examining the patient, the casenotes, and any test results (which can include biopsies, X-rays, CT scans, blood test results, and so on).

If this conference decides that further investigation is warranted, the case is referred to the International Lourdes Medical Committee (abbreviated in French to CMIL), which is an international panel of about twenty experts in various medical disciplines and of different religious beliefs.

For a cure to be recognised as medically inexplicable, certain facts require to be established:

The original diagnosis must be verified and confirmed beyond doubt
    The diagnosis must be regarded as "incurable" with current means (although ongoing treatments do not disqualify the cure)
    The cure must happen in association with a visit to Lourdes, typically while in Lourdes or in the vicinity of the shrine itself (although drinking or bathing in the water are not required)
    The cure must be immediate (rapid resolution of symptoms and signs of the illness)
    The cure must be complete (with no residual impairment or deficit)
    The cure must be permanent (with no recurrence)

so your above criterion that it

Is clearly bunkum in the above cases!

Not at all, it fits the criteria perfectly, the CMIL can only declare something medically inexplicable, which just means we don't know how that happened, not that it could not happen based on the current understood laws of physics.

Again this is why you do not see amputees growing new arms or legs. That would actually require a miracle, not simply an undocumented natural process.
    As regards limb related cases...

Pieter De Rudder was a farm labourer, born Jabbeke July 2, 1822, died March 22, 1898[6]. His recovery from a broken leg (1875) is one of the most famous recognized Lourdes miracles (a bronze cast of his bones is exhibited in the Lourdes Medical Bureau

Wow, 1875 the pinicle of modern scientific knowledge :rolleyes:

This is actually a perfect example of what I'm talking about, something that can easily be explained by ignorance of what happened or falsehoods on the part of the participants.

A broken leg healing hardly requires the suspension of the natural laws of physics. If he had his leg removed by doctors and the next day was walking around with a brand new leg, that might raise an eyebrow. Instead what we have is 19th centuries doctors saying they can't cure his leg, him going away and then his leg healing.

I notice none of your other examples are spontaneous regeneration of amputeed limbs either. Why doesn't God do this for all to see? Cause well that would be too much evidence that he exists, and then what would be the point of faith, right?

It is exactly the same as the question why do psychics only come up with fluff in their sessions, why do people who can bend metal only bend spoons, why do people who can see far away spaces only see places they have been and you haven't etc etc etc

Cause it ain't real :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

I reckon there must be some sort of creator in existence outside space and time . Then just as you die when dmt is released in to your body you evaluate your life,if you are happy with it you join the creator ouside space and time or you come back to earth for a second chance to try do some good spread some love...makes more sense than about 100% or religions if you get science involved..watch a few interviews with people who died and came back to life mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

PDN wrote: »
    Indeed I did, and Zombrex's post has confirmed my belief that I was correct to do so. Now, we can continue to discuss it here, or you can start moaning about moderating decisions inthread in which case your ass will be banned.

Miracles, by their very nature, are things that happen rarely. I don't know any Christian (other than a certifiable lunatic) who thinks God should serve up miracles on demand.

Doubtless we find it easier to believe for some things rather than others, and this goes beyond healing. It's easier to believe for God to answer a prayer for €10 than it is for a million euro. And faith, to some degree, is linked to answered prayer.

But I, for one, don't find it hard to hold on to my faith, even when I don't see my prayers answered. My faith is not in a God who meets my every want like a heavenly sugar daddy. My faith is in a God who loved me so much that he sent His Son to die for me and made it possible for me to be saved - and that remains true whether I get healed or not.

fathers in texas and alabama sent thier sons so you could be saved too , during WW2 , many sons died fighting fascism all over europe , none of those guys had the assurance of thier daddy being the most powerfull force in the universe , lets keep the dieing for our sins thing in perspective , shall we

No, but I would be much more open to the idea that he did over other alternative explains that don't invoke a super powerful deity.

But my point (if you were paying attention) is that we aren't even there yet.

The point is already taken that if there you would still not have enough. When will you ever have enough? The point made was only when you believe.
    Not at all, it fits the criteria perfectly, the CMIL can only declare something medically inexplicable, which just means we don't know how that happened, not that it could not happen based on the current understood laws of physics.

Yes. it is the Church declares "miracles" not science. I can't se you point. You are arguing for scientific proof of God? Science can't supply that. It can supply an explanation or say it isn't sufficient to supply an explanation.

Your criterion " could equally be explained by natural occurrences or mistakes on the part of the observers." are all dealt with in the protocols I showed you. No it could NOT be explained by natural causes or by observational error! Not equally! The doctors check it out under strict protocols using modern technology and confirming the case incurable in advance. They didn't mis observe and they do not have a natural explanation!
    Again this is why you do not see amputees growing new arms or legs. That would actually require a miracle, not simply an undocumented natural process.

But you already admitted you would NOT accept it is a miracle in that case!
    And it isn't an "undoccumented natural process" either
    It is highly doccumented and inexplicable i.e. the doctors are resolute that they can not conclude it is a natural process!
    Wow, 1875 the pinicle of modern scientific knowledge :rolleyes:

I am aghast that you regard scientific achievements in 1875 as rudimentary scant or primitive. I suppose given you have just ruled out Albert_Schweitzer; Carl Jung; and other medical people and the Anatomy Act of Quebec, you may as well move on to Mileva Maric ( you probably dont know whose life she influenced) ; you may as well rule out James Clerk Maxwell who best work was just completed and other like Galileo and Isaac Newton who were three cneturies earlier.
    A broken leg healing hardly requires the suspension of the natural laws of physics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieter_De_Rudder
    Several doctors attempted, unsuccessfully, to treat him, and one advised amputation, which was refused by De Rudder.
    two witnesses sign the same statement, written by the vicar of Jabbeke, according to which the day before the pilgrimage they saw the ends of bone protruding into the wound.
    The date of the last examination of the leg is important because, in the opinion of many Catholic physicians, the only reason to consider the healing of De Rudder as miraculous is the testimonial proof of its instantaneousness
    If he had his leg removed by doctors and the next day was walking around with a brand new leg, that might raise an eyebrow. Instead what we have is 19th centuries doctors saying they can't cure his leg, him going away and then his leg healing.

Dr. Van Hoestenberghe's responses of April and May 1875 to Mgr Faict, which were lost during the canonical inquiry, are found again in 1956 and published in 1957. In the second of these responses, Dr. Van Hoestenberghe (who, as we saw, would report to the Commission of 1907-1908 that he had examined the injured leg ten or twelve times
    I notice none of your other examples are spontaneous regeneration of amputeed limbs either. Why doesn't God do this for all to see?

If he did you already stated you would not believe.

By the way you didnt explain
    Juliette Tamburini

Vittorio Micheli

Delizia Cirolli, later Delizia Costa

Any explanations?
    It is exactly the same as the question why do psychics only come up with fluff in their sessions, ...
    Cause it ain't real :)

Can you explain what the doctors in heavily documented cases couldn't.
    It wasn't "fluff" they are clearly documented incurable cases and science cant explain how they were cured.

I'm not saying God did it. I'm just saying that science cant explain it and your conclusion that "it ain't real" isn't scientifically correct!

• Advertisement

irishh_bob wrote: »
    fathers in texas and alabama sent thier sons so you could be saved too , during WW2 , many sons died fighting fascism all over europe , none of those guys had the assurance of thier daddy being the most powerfull force in the universe , lets keep the dieing for our sins thing in perspective , shall we

To my knowledge, no-one in Alabama or Texas carried the sins of the world on their shoulders.

If you have something useful to contribute to this discussion, then that would be welcome. But your idiotic trolling should not be repeated. There is a limit to how much muppetry can be tolerated here, even in this thread. You are right on the edge.

The point is already taken that if there you would still not have enough. When will you ever have enough? The point made was only when you believe.

So when you already believe you will then accept these things are miracles?
    You are arguing for scientific proof of God?

I'm not, I'm arguing that nothing religions have ever produced as evidence that miracles take place is anything other than stuff that can easily be explained within the normal laws or nature or can be explained through misunderstandings of humans.

Thus it is a reasonable conclusion that miracles have not actually happened when it is claimed they have.

An amputee regrowing his arm would be a genuine miracle (as would say the stars rearranging themselves to spell "Hi there, its me God"). But those sort of things do not happen.

Instead we get what can best be described as parlour tricks.
    Your criterion " could equally be explained by natural occurrences or mistakes on the part of the observers." are all dealt with in the protocols I showed you. No it could NOT be explained by natural causes or by observational error!

I could be explained by either of those things. As I said legs healing do not break the laws of nature. Cancer going into remission does not break the laws of nature.

A leg regrowing itself would.
    The doctors check it out under strict protocols using modern technology and confirming the case incurable in advance. They didn't mis observe and they do not have a natural explanation!

Firstly how do you know they don't mis-observe. Secondly I didn't say misoberve I said make mistakes.

Doctors don't make mistakes now, do they? You might want to tell doctors that.
    But you already admitted you would NOT accept it is a miracle in that case!

Know I said I would not accept it as proof of the existence of God.

If the only accurate explanation required the theory that the natural laws of nature were suspended I would certain consider it a miracle.
    And it isn't an "undoccumented natural process" either
    It is highly doccumented and inexplicable i.e. the doctors are resolute that they can not conclude it is a natural process!

And doctors never make mistakes or lie?
    I am aghast that you regard scientific achievements in 1875 as rudimentary scant or primitive.

Well that is very naive of you, but could explain why you are so willing to accept claims of miracles.
    Dr. Van Hoestenberghe's responses of April and May 1875 to Mgr Faict, which were lost during the canonical inquiry, are found again in 1956 and published in 1957. In the second of these responses, Dr. Van Hoestenberghe (who, as we saw, would report to the Commission of 1907-1908 that he had examined the injured leg ten or twelve times

And? Did he x-ray the leg? No xrays hadn't been invented yet. Did he treat for infection? No germ theory hadn't been established yet.

Again explain to me how the laws of nature have to be suspended for a broken leg to heal?
    Any explanations?

Sure, they got better.

Can you explain again how that requires the suspension of the laws of physics, you seem to be doing your best to dodge that question.
    Can you explain what the doctors in heavily documented cases couldn't.
    I'm pretty sure the doctors would concur that they got better.
    It wasn't "fluff" they are clearly documented incurable cases and science cant explain how they were cured.

Science cannot explain a lot of things, normally followed by science then explaining it.

Are you suggesting that a natural phenomena is a "miracle" until science can explain it? That is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Science cannot explain a lot of things, normally followed by science then explaining it.

Are you suggesting that a natural phenomena is a "miracle" until science can explain it? That is ridiculous.

Sorry for butting in, but my tuppence..

I think the word 'miracle' is commonly misused, but not 'all' of the time...

Science explains by it's very nature 'natural' phenomena only, and is a 'tool' we use to understand the world, the body, the universe, our place in it, medicine, dna etc. etc. - of course there are things that 'science' ( you'd swear it was a person, and only non theists could fathom it ) cannot explain, but understanding grows and very many things are explainable, absolutely! - but never 'everything'!

Miracles, most Christians believe happen every single day, they're common place - small things, and sometimes not so small....but most Christian believe that you don't 'test' God - He will come again in glory, but not because we shout - it's about faith. That is really very plainly written....so he isn't going to 'perform' on demand.

It's quite correct too, to be cynical and even in the face of current human understanding to say it may be a 'placebo' effect etc. etc. and the brain or positive thoughts have their own healing power, that explains the religion thing; boxed up, tagged and bagged!

The simple fact is, that not every person who says a 'miracle' happened is re-writing scripture, or even making a magnificent claim - just making a personal account of their own experience. That is at the very grass roots of Christianity, it's a 'personal' thing. Write it off, which you could in the name of natural understanding, and you will still draw a blank...

back to nature; where Science belongs.

It's only actually 'by' persons that we find out anything at all on our relatively short stay here...There is room for everybody though.

So when you already believe you will then accept these things are miracles?

Keep my personal beliefs out of this please. We were discussing yours.
    If you mean "one" and not "you" well then the answer to your "so...?" is NO. If one already believes they accept the possibility of a miracle. If one ( you in this case) does not believe they rule out any possibility of a miracle. But they cant claim science rules it out!
    I'm not, I'm arguing that nothing religions have ever produced as evidence that miracles take place is anything other than stuff that can easily be explained within the normal laws or nature or can be explained through misunderstandings of humans.

And your argument falls flat on its fact because scientific experts - medical doctors in these cases - who didn't misunderstand the symptoms ( as is quite clear by detailed medical documentation) have attested that they can't scientifically explain what happened using the normal laws of nature. In fact the church declares these things miracles partly based on science not being able to give a plausible explanation. Not alone that it may be that the likelihood of anything approaching a plausible explanation as to be even more improbable than a miracle for the church to declare it a miracle. In other words if it wasn't a miracle then whatever happened was even less likely than if it was a miracle.
    Thus it is a reasonable conclusion that miracles have not actually happened when it is claimed they have.

Given the premise is false the conclusion is not reasonable.
    An amputee regrowing his arm would be a genuine miracle (as would say the stars rearranging themselves to spell "Hi there, its me God"). But those sort of things do not happen.

But you already used the "only ture Scotsman" on that ! You admitted that if such a thing happened you would still not believe.
    Instead we get what can best be described as parlour tricks.

That is quite clearly rubbish! You have been shown well documented medical cases in which the subjects were longitudinally surveyed. It is nonsense to declare modern medicine was wrong in all the above cases or that some doctor was faking it or that the subjects all had some parlour trick magic which fooled the medics.
    I could be explained by either of those things. As I said legs healing do not break the laws of nature. Cancer going into remission does not break the laws of nature.

Legs which are dead and in the opinion of doctors best amputated coming back to life and doctors saying they can not scientifically explain i.e "what we know about the laws of nature are not sufficient to explain it" are cases where you can't say that just over the next hill or round the next bend science will find an explanation.

You see when you say "not against the laws of nature" you are copping out by suggesting there is an explanation but science just doesn't know that explanation yet.

How is such scientism different from belief in a miracle? How is believing "laws of nature we don't know about yet" and different from "supernatural forces we just can't prove exist"
    A leg regrowing itself would.

So if someone had a leg regrown you would say it was a miracle and that you believe in God?
    Firstly how do you know they don't mis-observe. Secondly I didn't say misoberve I said make mistakes.
    you said
    easily be explained by ignorance of what happened or falsehoods on the part of the participants

What were the medics ignorant of?
    What mistakes did they make?
    Who do you claim was faking a case and how did they fool each doctor involved?
    For what motive?
    Doctors don't make mistakes now, do they? You might want to tell doctors that.

so you are saying that a number of scientists repeating the same expirement which has always yielded the same result may in fact be making a mistake? Such ideas seem more akin to belief in supernatural than to relying on the scientific system.
    But let me ask you again. given the doctors gave their opinion what can you show me in the above cases which demonstrates a mistake by the doctors or a faked injury?
    Know I said I would not accept it as proof of the existence of God.

But you will accept the absence of evidence like a limb growing back as evidence of the non existence of God? LOL!
    If the only accurate explanation required the theory that the natural laws of nature were suspended I would certain consider it a miracle.

But you cant show the natural laws of nature were not suspended. Science can't explain it within the laws they know! If science itself fails to explain something what is the difference between believing it must be some law we havent yet discovered and believing in a miracle.

Ever heard of "Sagan's dragon"? You have just resurrected one.
    And doctors never make mistakes or lie?

That is just a conspiracy theory. Ill draw you attention to the above criterion to "any plausable explaination must me even less likely than the miracle"

Let us take the following
    1. some organisation could have a secret wing manufacturing such "lies" and farming them out to different doctors and fake subjects over the last 150 years. In doing so they are getting up to date scientific research and methodology and recruiting medical and other scientists and doing all this unbeknown to all the rest of science.

2. Extraterrestrial space aliens with advanced technology capable of regrowing legs are secretly based on Earth. they have "invisibility technology" as well. All these technologies are unknown to our "laws of nature" but are withing a bigger set of "laws of nature" we dont know about yet"

3. A miracle happened.

The church will declare 3 if it is more likely than 1 or 2.
    Or of course it could be space aliens or the Freemasons :)
    Well that is very naive of you, but could explain why you are so willing to accept claims of miracles.

I didnt say I accepted the claims and I actually noted that Lourdes is NOT a required belief of the Catholic Church. I just picked it because it is a well doccumented counter example of your "misobservation/not doccumented/ignorant/ not scientific/etc." claims
    And? Did he x-ray the leg? No xrays hadn't been invented yet. Did he treat for infection? No germ theory hadn't been established yet.

Oh please! Before you go any further down this road let me tell you one of my academic fields is the history of science. But I won't "argue from authority" . As to history of medicine

Girolamo Fracastoro proposed in 1546 that epidemic diseases are caused by transferable seed-like entities that could transmit infection by direct or indirect contact or even without contact over long distances.
    Microorganisms were first directly observed by Anton van Leeuwenhoek,. He discovered bacteria in 1676!

Nicolas Andry argued in 1700 that microorganisms he called "worms" were responsible for smallpox and other diseases.

Of course there was a theory!

Not alone that there was practice. In the 1870s Joseph Lister was instrumental in developing practical applications of the germ theory of disease with respect to surgical techniques.

One didnt require a microbiology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow_%28physician%29
    (15 March 1813 – 16 June 1858) was an English physician and a leader in the adoption of anaesthesia and medical hygiene. He is considered to be one of the fathers of epidemiology, because of his work in tracing the source of a cholera outbreak in Soho, England, in 1854.

And did he use a microscope? He was unaware of the mechanism by which the disease was transmitted, but evidence led him to believe that it was not due to breathing foul air. He used statistics!
    He showed that the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks Company was taking water from sewage-polluted sections of the Thames and delivering the water to homes with an increased incidence of cholera. Snow's study was a major event in the history of public health, and geography, and can be regarded as the founding event of the science of epidemiology.

No germ theory necessary!
    Again explain to me how the laws of nature have to be suspended for a broken leg to heal?
    Broken? this isnt a sporting injury or a sprained ankle you know?
    Did you not read the medical evidence?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewing%27s_sarcoma#Epidemiology
    Treatment often consists of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy generally followed by a limb salvage or an amputation and may also include radiotherapy. Complete excision at the time of biopsy may be performed if malignancy is confirmed at the time it is examined. Treatment lengths vary depending on location and stage of the disease at diagnosis. Radical chemotherapy may be as short as 6 treatments at 3 week cycles, however most patients will undergo chemotherapy for 6–12 months and radiation therapy for 5–8 weeks.
    Sarcoma (cancer) of pelvis; tumour so large that his left thigh became loose from the socket, leaving his left leg limp and paralysed. After taking the waters, he was free of pain and could walk. By February 1964 the tumour was gone, the hip joint had recalcified, and he returned to a normal life.

AS for de Rutter I already pointed to the case being remarkable only because of the swiftness of the cure.

But how do you explain not just the arresting but the reversal of MS?
    Sure, they got better.

MS patients don't! They only get worse or stop getting worse! They DON'T get better!
    Can you explain again how that requires the suspension of the laws of physics, you seem to be doing your best to dodge that question.

Either it draws on laws of physics we don't yet know about which reverse cancers and cause bones to grow back into sockets or "something else" . whatever the explaination the current understanding by the expert people in the field can not explain it according to the current understandsing of medicine. Yes it could be a miracle an "alien healing ray" or a massive conspiracy by the Illuminati but it can't be explained by science.
    I'm pretty sure the doctors would concur that they got better.

I'm pretty sure they would concur that science can't explain HOW they got better.
    They can not say it is within the bounds of scientific understanding!

That is just scientism! It isnt a scientific argument! ~It is an inductive argument based on your belief that science will explain away God or anything else. It isn't based on any scientific law or axiom.

No I am suggesting science can not conclude it is NOT a miracle. Please learn the difference between "verification" and "falsification" . If science can not explain it then science can not say it is no miracle! Remember where we came into this You were claiming it is "all fluff" and "fakers" and their are rational scientific explainations which are much more reasonable to believe. Buit I showed you that is exactly the opposite of what a miracle has to be. they have to exhaust all reasonable scientific explainations! That means getting qualified scientists and doctors to actually sift over the evidence. And in some cases they cant explain what happened.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in, but my tuppence..

I think the word 'miracle' is commonly misused, but not 'all' of the time...

Science explains by it's very nature 'natural' phenomena only, and is a 'tool' we use to understand the world, the body, the universe, our place in it, medicine, dna etc. etc. - of course there are things that 'science' ( you'd swear it was a person, and only non theists could fathom it ) cannot explain,

I had not noticed that. It is called "reification" . We get it nowadays a lot when people talk about "the market" deciding on interest rates. Ironically it is usually a fallacy associated with religious believers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_%28fallacy%29
    Reification often takes place when natural or social processes are misunderstood and/or simplified; for example when human creations are described as “facts of nature, results of cosmic laws, or manifestations of divine will
    Though I must add
    The concept of a "construct" has a long history in science;...Thus, if properly understood and empirically corroborated, the "reification fallacy" applied to scientific constructs is not a fallacy at all

I would however argue "laws of nature" in this case fit into the same mould as "universe" in
    I can't believe that the universe would allow humans and human achievement just to fade away, therefore there must be a God and an afterlife where all will be preserved.
    Source: http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/skepticism/blfaq_fall_reification.htm

I would also add to this that one can't have things both ways. One cant say science/laws of nature or whatever are absolute and never wrong and also plead that "doctors make mistakes" . Yes doctors do make mistakes and while I don't think any have been shown in the Lourdes cases we can only rely on the empirical measurements taken by scientists . Science in this sense is about what scientists do. While it is valid, it makes no sense to say we should trust science and then when something we don't believe happens say "scientists must have made a mistake" and rule out "science can't explain it" .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Lourdes "miracles" are statistically insignificant. If the majority came back cured, or if the miracles were unambiguous (I.e. A Limb growing back), then there might have been something too it.

Morbert wrote: »
    Lourdes "miracles" are statistically insignificant. If the majority came back cured, or if the miracles were unambiguous (I.e. A Limb growing back), then there might have been something too it.

We have just been over that issue. Only true scotsman, scientism, and failure to admit that you accept a limb growing back as proof of God. You still would not believe it if it happened would you? And what is the difference between an offer of amutation for a limb which is clinically "dead" and a dead limb? And how do you scientifically explain MS not just stopping but reversing?

Pull the other one :)

We have just been over that issue. Only true scotsman, scientism, and failure to admit that you accept a limb growing back as proof of God. You still would not believe it if it happened would you? And what is the difference between an offer of amutation for a limb which is clinically "dead" and a dead limb? And how do you scientifically explain MS not just stopping but reversing?

Pull the other one :)

The "miracles" of Lourdes are statistically insignificant. By this, I mean they happen to people who do not go to Lourdes, or any religious shrine or ceremony. If you want to claim they are miracles, and not simply surprising examples of imperfect medical knowledge, you would have to show that these "miracles" are correlated to Lourdes. Or you would have to give an example of something extraordinary, like a limb growing back.

"Miracle" can denote unlikely, but entirely natural events, or even just wonderful events. A small fraction of Lourdes visitors experience these miracles, as we would expect, but there has been no case of the suspension of natural laws to facilitate divine intervention.

Morbert wrote: »
    The "miracles" of Lourdes are statistically insignificant.

By this you mean there was a statistical change that any of them would happen anyway. So can you explain the mechanism involved in any of theise cases? an science explain how the cure happened. No it can't!
    By this, I mean they happen to people who do not go to Lourdes, or any religious shrine or ceremony.

I was quite clear that Lourdes was not a requirement of the Catholic church and that I took it an an example because of the well documented cases. You are quite welcome to provide evidence of other "miracles" from elsewhere i.e. cures which scientists have looked into and can't explain.

If you want to claim they are miracles, and not simply surprising examples of imperfect medical knowledge, you would have to show that these "miracles" are correlated to Lourdes.

I didn't claim miracles only happen in Lourdes nor indeed that they are miracles. I claimed science can't explain them! they are metascientific occurances. The is not sufficient science to explain how they happened. It isn't an "only fluff" example as claimed!
    Or you would have to give an example of something extraordinary, like a limb growing back.
    If you were shown one would that make you believe ? No? Well then stop adding "only true scotsman" criteria you won't accept!
    Or a dead and ready to be amputated limb growing back into the hip loint from which it is disconnected. Or MS reversing?
    "Miracle" can denote unlikely, but entirely natural events, or even just wonderful events.

Yes indeed. Ones science can't explain and which are not "only fluff" .
    A small fraction of Lourdes visitors experience these miracles, as we would expect, but there has been no case of the suspension of natural laws to facilitate divine intervention.

Well if the apparitions actually happened you agree it would suggest there was such suspension. Of course you believe the apparition did not happen.

By this you mean there was a statistical change that any of them would happen anyway. So can you explain the mechanism involved in any of theise cases? an science explain how the cure happened. No it can't!

I was quite clear that Lourdes was not a requirement of the Catholic church and that I took it an an example because of the well documented cases. You are quite welcome to provide evidence of other "miracles" from elsewhere i.e. cures which scientists have looked into and can't explain.

I didn't claim miracles only happen in Lourdes nor indeed that they are miracles. I claimed science can't explain them! they are metascientific occurances. The is not sufficient science to explain how they happened. It isn't an "only fluff" example as claimed!

If you were shown one would that make you believe ? No? Well then stop adding "only true scotsman" criteria you won't accept!
    Or a dead and ready to be amputated limb growing back into the hip loint from which it is disconnected. Or MS reversing?

Yes indeed. Ones science can't explain and which are not "only fluff" .

The miracles are not meta-scientific. They are simply medically surprising. The recession of MS surprising, a functional limb that was thought to be "dead" is surprising. But the fact that 0.0000335% of Lourdes visitors exhibit medically surprising results is, itself, not surprising. Medical knowledge of various conditions are not physical laws written in stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Aidan1985

I think people need to be realistic and say to themselves:

I need 100% proof that God (or whatever it is) exists or else I can't fully commit my beliefs to that idea. This should be the thought before we leap into any ideas we are exposed to or stumble across in life. The idea of God is a great one. Eternal life when you die. But just because an idea sounds good doesn't equate to fact or whatever. I also believe that if someone brings fourth an idea or theory, that's good. But without hard, solid, unarguable facts, I would never commit to that idea. I'm very open minded but I'm no fool. 100% proof is a must.

Aidan1985 wrote: »
    I think people need to be realistic and say to themselves:

I need 100% proof that God (or whatever it is) exists or else I can't fully commit my beliefs to that idea. This should be the thought before we leap into any ideas we are exposed to or stumble across in life. The idea of God is a great one. Eternal life when you die. But just because an idea sounds good doesn't equate to fact or whatever. I also believe that if someone brings fourth an idea or theory, that's good. But without hard, solid, unarguable facts, I would never commit to that idea. I'm very open minded but I'm no fool. 100% proof is a must.

So, you don't believe that your mother loved you?

I mean, you don't have 100% proof of it, do you? In fact, for all you know you were in a social experiment like the Truman Show.

The fact is that all of us, yourself included, make life-choices based on less than 100% proof, but we weigh the available evidence on the balance of probabilities. Anyone who claims otherwise, IMHO, is not open minded, but they may well be a fool.

PDN wrote: »
    So, you don't believe that your mother loved you?

I mean, you don't have 100% proof of it, do you? In fact, for all you know you were in a social experiment like the Truman Show.

The fact is that all of us, yourself included, make life-choices based on less than 100% proof, but we weigh the available evidence on the balance of probabilities. Anyone who claims otherwise, IMHO, is not open minded, but they may well be a fool.

Mother's love? At least she is there to tell me that she loves me. I'm talking about theories and the existence of a god. Until facts are displayed, I won't fully accept. A non-dogmatic scientist will tell you that what we teach today might be obsolete in ten years time. We need to be wary of that. And yes, obviously we believe in things that we don't necessarily need 100% percent proof in. I'm talking about theories and extreme beings as I stated before. Just an opinion. I used to be a born again Christian but I wanted to discovery both sides of the coin and I'm glad I did. I don't feel delusional and narrow-minded anymore. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Do you not find it crippling to you argument about 100% proof that you then go on to tell us it only your opinion? What do you know with 100% certainty, btw?
    I don't feel delusional and narrow-minded anymore. That's all.

Well, feeling is one thing, what you actually are is another. Frankly, if all you can muster are plagiarised insults from TGD then perhaps you would be as well leaving it at "That is all".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Where does God say that he will cure human disease or grow limbs back? This is almost tantamount to putting Him to the test and 'thou shalt not put thy Lord your God to the test'. As in, 'if you're really there, grow my limb back'. Sounds a bit familiar to 'If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down' - and we know who uttered those words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

JimiTime wrote: »
    As a Christian, this is a topic that has me ask the same questions tbh. I am often confused about the pulpit preaching of the power of prayer, and seeing congregations go into 'speaking in tongues' etc. (i don't deny this phenomena, but its still an area where I'm skeptical), and tbh, I can see why such a preaching is made. Jesus told us in Matt 7:

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
    9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

For me this is ask God for His Grace - and 'it will be given to you'...not worldly goods or gifts - but the eternal gift from God.

I used to think this was 'oh ok so if I pray for x/y/z (a better job, more x/y/z, etc) - but looking at this verse having seen the light I see it for what it really means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

A non-dogmatic scientist will tell you that what we teach today might be obsolete in ten years time. We need to be wary of that.

But you don't seem to stop at 'wary'. You seem to stop at dogmatism: "there is no absolute truth". I mean, how can you have an absolute truth if it might be obsolete in ten years time*? Right?

*leaving aside the absolute truth that all other truths might turn out to be untrue in 10 years time. :rolleyes:

Do you not find it crippling to you argument about 100% proof that you then go on to tell us it only your opinion? What do you know with 100% certainty, btw?

Well, feeling is one thing, what you actually are is another. Frankly, if all you can muster are plagiarised insults from TGD then perhaps you would be as well leaving it at "That is all".

I apologize if I'm coming across another way other than what my intentions are. What I'm saying is that it's easy for people to get involved in something that if we really stand back and test our beliefs, we might just be wrong. I'm agnostic; I haven't stumbled across proof of a god and nobody has proven to me that one doesn't exist. I'm just on the fence. Same with science. There's a lot of theories floating about but hard facts is what we really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I apologize if I'm coming across another way other than what my intentions are. What I'm saying is that it's easy for people to get involved in something that if we really stand back and test our beliefs, we might just be wrong. I'm agnostic; I haven't stumbled across proof of a god and nobody has proven to me that one doesn't exist. I'm just on the fence. Same with science. There's a lot of theories floating about but hard facts is what we really need.

No problem.

But unless you are talking about something like mathematics and logic I have no idea why you are talking about proofs whether it be in relation to God's existence, your mother's love or your bank manager's honesty. Perhaps you should also familiarise yourself with what a scientific theory is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Newsite wrote: »
    Where does God say that he will cure human disease or grow limbs back? This is almost tantamount to putting Him to the test and 'thou shalt not put thy Lord your God to the test'. As in, 'if you're really there, grow my limb back'. Sounds a bit familiar to 'If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down' - and we know who uttered those words.

But people claim they prayed and had their diease cured = God cured them. There are plenty documented claims of this sort.

I have yest to come accross documented claims of somebody missing a limb praying and having the limb grow back.

Why would God pick one afliction over the other to cure?

God may not have directly said he'll cure disease or grow limbs back. But he sure did a lot of "curing" in the Bible. And continues to "cure" aflictions of believers, weather it be acceptable claims from Lourdes or less acceptable in terms of the RCC, faith healers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement