Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

shaz90ish wrote: »
    Well, he revealed himself to me

Congratulations then. Doesn't mean that I can justify having a similar belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaz90ish

lazygal wrote: »
    But he never does reveal himself. If he did, it'd be a lot easier for everyone.

It would be a lot easier for everyone, i agree..but again people aren't interested. God has given us a free will choice while we are on earth. Satan, on the other hand knows his time his short. So he goes on deceiving others

Did you take a picture or video to record the event?

I wish I could have taken a picture or video, but its a spiritual experience

It would be a lot easier for everyone, i agree..but again people aren't interested. God has given us a free will choice while we are on earth. Satan, on the other hand knows his time his short. So he goes on deceiving others

Please don't re-start the "free will" argument. We've already been through that - long story short, you and other theists say belief is an action one can choose to do via free will, I and the other atheists here say otherwise. There, that discussion has been summed up. Unless you have anything new to add to that discussion, a new viewpoint or some evidence or reasoning to back up your claim, then please don't talk about it.

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Please don't re-start the "free will" argument. We've already been through that - long story short, you and other theists say belief is an action one can choose to do via free will, I and the other atheists here say otherwise. There, that discussion has been summed up. Unless you have anything new to add to that discussion, a new viewpoint or some evidence or reasoning to back up your claim, then please don't talk about it.

ok fine. Dont regret later on: in ur life after death. Thats all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

What cowardice and tunnel vision?

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who believe in God, and those who don't. Those who don't are not prepared to say that God does not exist because that would be a claim that they would then have to defend. Instead all they do is debunk any argument or evidence presented for the existence of God while presenting no evidence of their own. That is cowardice for want of a better word.

Is happening to believe you've stumbled onto the one true God out of the thousands of deities people believe in tunnel vision?

What thousands of deities? There is only one truth hence only one God. Once you accept the truth and and that truth only comes with faith in God there is no tunnel vision.

Why not? is it not by free will that you choose to follow atheism?

Congratulations then. Doesn't mean that I can justify having a similar belief.
    Please don't re-start the "free will" argument. We've already been through that - ... Unless you have anything new to add to that discussion, a new viewpoint or some evidence or reasoning to back up your claim, then please don't talk about it.

BTW just what justifies you being so dismissive of shaz? A poster comes in and makes a personal statement and all you are capable of doing is dismissing them and telling them in effect to shut up. And you wonder why some of us are reticent about sharing our beliefs or evidence with you.
    Thank you for showing your true colours, not that that they were ever very well hidden.
    If someone has a point to make or a quotation to share who are you to say they are not welcome.

Romans 1:19-21New International Version (NIV)

19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Romans 1:19-21New International Version (NIV)

19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Sorry, simply quoting the bible doesn't cut it with me. I don't accept it as evidence since so much of what it talks about isn't reflected in reality, and contradictory. (You've got at least one right there, with God's invisible qualities somehow being clearly seen)

Sorry, simply quoting the bible doesn't cut it with me. I don't accept it as evidence since so much of what it talks about isn't reflected in reality, and contradictory. (You've got at least one right there, with God's invisible qualities somehow being clearly seen)

The dark hearts the futile thinking of the foolish are frequently reflected in reality

• Advertisement

The bible was written years and years ago. So prophets prophesied years ago, that even though its so visible that God exists, people still fail to accept him ( which is exactly happening right now with you and all other atheists)

Festus wrote: »
    Dark hearts the futile thinking of the foolish are frequently reflected in reality

Yes agree there, thats exactly whats happening here

The bible was written years and years ago. So prophets prophesied years ago, that even though its so visible that God exists, people still fail to accept him ( which is exactly happening right now with you and all other atheists)

It's not exactly a prophecy if you say "People in the future won't believe you!"
    Wow, what a completely novel idea. No human could ever possibly make such a prediction, the fact that this was predicted means ONLY a god could have done it.
    /sarcmarc

I have a dragon in my back-yard. I make the prediction that when I say this to other people, they won't believe me. I will explain the prediction by saying the non-believers are at fault somehow. Therefore...this makes me a god.

It's not exactly a prophecy if you say "People in the future won't believe you!"
    Wow, what a completely novel idea. No human could ever possibly make such a prediction, the fact that this was predicted means ONLY a god could have done it.
    /sarcmarc

Exactly, God is the author of the Bible but God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended.

Yes agree there, thats exactly whats happening here

Not to mention Jerimiah 5:12

Hear, O foolish people, and without understanding: who have eyes, and see not: and ears, and hear not.

They cannot see the evidence and refuse to listen. No matter what you tell them all you get is dismissal

Exactly, God is the author of the Bible but God superintended the human authors of the Bible so that, while using their own writing styles and personalities, they still recorded exactly what God intended.

:eek:

You really believe this? You literally don't see any problem at all with 'predicting' that people won't believe a given claim?
    I'm done with yourself. You came in here, attempted to discuss, and failed miserably. You just made a complete fool of yourself.

:eek:

You really believe this? You literally don't see any problem at all with 'predicting' that people won't believe a given claim?
    I'm done with yourself. You came in here, attempted to discuss, and failed miserably. You just made a complete fool of yourself.

Now, now, play nice. You're only showing yourself up.

Can you not see that you are fulfilling Biblical prophecy?

Not to mention Jerimiah 5:12

Hear, O foolish people, and without understanding: who have eyes, and see not: and ears, and hear not.

They cannot see the evidence and refuse to listen. No matter what you tell them all you get is dismissal

I was gonna mention that verse too. Exactly, I amn't gonna tell anything anymore. All we can do is intercede for them

Now, now, play nice.

Can you not see that you are fulfilling Biblical prophecy?

A prophecy that is nothing special at all.

I was gonna mention that verse too. Exactly, I amn't gonna tell anything anymore. All we can do is intercede for them

We can help them with their thinking too ;)

But they don't appreciate that either.

• Advertisement

A prophecy that is nothing special at all.

Well, you're the one who wanted evidence. Does being part of the evidence not make you feel special?

Well, you're the one who wanted evidence. Does being part of the evidence not make you feel special?

I'm done with you Festus. This time, I mean it. Have a nice life.

Have a nice life.

You too, Rik and I wish you and yours a very Happy and Holy Christmas and all God's blessings in the New Year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Please explain.

You said ''God probably exists in the absence on any evidence to the contrary"

I don't believe I have to explain the absurdity of that statement to a person with your obvious intelligence.
    If you believe it is impossible to argue with those whom you believe to have that type of mindset why do you persist in doing so. Are you trying to prove the possibility of what you believe to be impossible.
    Some people's minds are just closed to reality and logic, that's all.

Safehands wrote: »

Some people's minds are just closed to reality and logic, that's all.

This is true and no matter what we do they still cannot see the obvious and refuse to listen to reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

This is true and no matter what we do they still cannot see the obvious and refuse to listen to reason.

Why do I get the distinct impression you are not actually agreeing with me?

You know, I've never encountered anyone less willing to defend their position, with the facts that persuade them that they are correct, than you Festus.

Safehands wrote: »
    Why do I get the distinct impression you are not actually agreeing with me?

You know, I've never encountered anyone less willing to defend their position, with the facts that persuade them that they are correct, than you Festus.

I am actually agreeing with you. It is the truest thing you ever said but you missed the target, unless the intended target was actually your own foot.
    Do you have any facts that persuaded you that God does not exist or are you going to maintain your smoke screen of a lack of evidence to avoid having to defend the fact that your position is based on nothing but blind faith, ignorance, and fallacious logic?

That God exists is His claim, not mine. I believe God exists and I do not have to defend that belief to your or anyone else. If you want to challenge that make your case.

In the meantime go ahead and believe whatever it is you want to believe.
    I would prefer it if you believed the truth but it's up to you. If you can prove to yourself that what you believe is actually true and not false then you should be satisfied.

There is only one truth. I believe I am following that truth. If you believe I am wrong convince me.
    If you believe you are right, convince yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I am actually agreeing with you. It is the truest thing you ever said but you missed the target, unless the intended target was actually your own foot.
    Do you have any facts that persuaded you that God does not exist or are you going to maintain your smoke screen of a lack of evidence to avoid having to defend the fact that your position is based on nothing but blind faith, ignorance, and fallacious logic?

That God exists is His claim, not mine. I believe God exists and I do not have to defend that belief to your or anyone else. If you want to challenge that make your case.

If God opposes things like gay marriage and abortion why doesn't he stop them? Seems like he doesn't do very much about the things he doesn't agree with, unlike the biblical days when there was smiting going on all over the place? Maybe nothing happens now because he doesn't exist.

If God opposes things like gay marriage and abortion why doesn't he stop them? Seems like he doesn't do very much about the things he doesn't agree with, unlike the biblical days when there was smiting going on all over the place? Maybe nothing happens now because he doesn't exist.

Are you claiming that God does not exist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Are you claiming that God does not exist?

I have no evidence that he does. He doesn't do anything to show he exists so I don't see why I should believe he exists.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement