Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Mod: Off-topic posts removed. Bigotry of any form is not acceptable in this forum - bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

marienbad wrote: »
    So it was just hearsay then and not direct testimony ?

Festus, can I have a reply please ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Festus wrote: »

There's a certain irony in a creationist arguing against evolution while using Russells teapot as part of their argument.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

orubiru wrote: »
    Wait now, if I arrive in the next life with my memories of the horrors inflicted in this life intact, wont I be tormented by those memories?

If my memories in the next life are either erased or not relevant when I get there then, without my memories of me, then what am I? A blank slate? Just one in a vast array of identical, memory-less, Heaven Dwellers?

You seem to have forgotten that what we do in this life defines us. If my definitions become "unimportant" at the point of death then how can it be "me" who arrives at the next life?

You are correct. It is what we do or do not do in this life that defines us. Your memories will be intact
    orubiru wrote: »
    On Satan, if he is responsible for the horrors of this world then is it not "right" that humanity should take a stand, refuse to reproduce, and die off? We'd pass on into Heaven, together, forever, and leave Satan here alone?

One wonders if true Evil would create life just so It had something to terrorise...

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. You cannot blame Satan if you follow him and give in to his temptations.

Evil cannot create anything. All it can do is destroy.

SW wrote: »
    There's a certain irony in a creationist arguing against evolution while using Russells teapot as part of their argument.

Not if the pot fits

• Advertisement

That is simply false. My definition fits the context perfectly and it is a part of the definition you simply contrive to leave out of your supposed etymology. As such your etymology is far too limited and wildly inaccurate because of this. Your asserting that your definition of anything in the light of this carries no weight.
    a- => Without
    -theos- => God
    -ism => Belief.

Without god belief. No god belief.

In that case you are saying that atheism is a belief, a faith based position. I am inclined to agree.

Not if the pot fits
    How so? The creationist is suggesting that Russells Teapot makes accepting creationism more logical than evolution. That's the complete opposite of what the Teapot is about, i.e. accepting/believing sans-evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In that case you are saying that atheism is a belief, a faith based position. I am inclined to agree.

Do children who've never been told anything about God have faith in anything? My children have never heard of God or that anyone believes or doesn't believe in him, her or it. What faith do they have?

Festus, can I have a reply please ?

Direct testimony.

lazygal wrote: »
    Do children who've never been told anything about God have faith in anything? My children have never heard of God or that anyone believes or doesn't believe in him, her or it. What faith do they have?

To be honest I have no knowledge of your children or what you have indoctrinated them with so for a general answer do you mind if I direct you towards Dr Barrett?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/3512686/Children-are-born-believers-in-God-academic-claims.html

• Advertisement

SW wrote: »
    How so? The creationist is suggesting that Russells Teapot makes accepting creationism more logical than evolution. That's the complete opposite of what the Teapot is about, i.e. accepting/believing sans-evidence.

Can't really comment as I have no belief in flying teapots other that those that might have been thrown overboard by various space travellers.

To be honest I have no knowledge of your children or what you have indoctrinated them with so for a general answer do you mind if I direct you towards Dr Barrett?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/3512686/Children-are-born-believers-in-God-academic-claims.html

They have never heard of God, or Jesus, or any of the mystical claims of the bible. What do they have faith in? What is their faith system? Have you indoctrinated your children in your faith? Suppose they didn't believe you, what would you say to convince them otherwise?

Can't really comment as I have no belief in flying teapots other that those that might have been thrown overboard by various space travellers.
    bit of a strange response in that you can't comment on something that is related to a link you posted:confused:

I do not need to look up a definition of god for you. You either have one of your own, or you do not. Which is it?

I don't want you to do it for me, I want you to do it for yourself.
    Either you are interested in finding God or you are not. If the latter, which I suspect, then I must conclude that you have no interest in the existence of God and your interest is only in dismantling the faith of others, much like the rest of your cohort.

Do you have a definition of god? What part of my definition does not fit Catholicism? Do you have any substantiation that the entity you define actually exists?

My understanding of substantiation is that it concerns the material. If you have a Christian definition of God you should see why such persistent requests are a fools errand.

Either you are interested in finding God or you are not. If the latter, which I suspect, then I must conclude that you have no interest in the existence of God and your interest is only in dismantling the faith of others, much like the rest of your cohort.

My understanding of substantiation is that it concerns the material. If you have a definition of God you should see why such a request is a fools errand.
    Is your faith and that of others on shakey foundations?

Is your faith and that of others on shakey foundations?

Not at all.

Atheism is though. It is founded on nothing at all.

Not at all.

Atheism is though. It is founded on nothing at all.
    Why are you concerned about faith being dismantled if its so strong? Surely God would show himself occasionally if he wants us to think he's amazing? How come he never shows up, ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Harika

Why are you concerned about faith being dismantled if its so strong? Surely God would show himself occasionally if he wants us to think he's amazing? How come he never shows up, ever?

Today I woke up late because I missed the alarm, that was Satan, but as the traffic was flowing nicely I made it in time to work, that was God. What further proof is needed? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Direct testimony.

Afraid not- heresay definition-

Evidence that is offered by a witness of which they do not have direct knowledge but, rather, their testimony is based on what others have said to them.

So no direct testimony then ?

Afraid not- heresay definition-

Evidence that is offered by a witness of which they do not have direct knowledge but, rather, their testimony is based on what others have said to them.

So no direct testimony then ?

Two of the Apostles wrote Gospels as eye witnesses. Direct testimony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Harika

When did they write it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

More of your words going into my mouth which I never actually anywhere said.

Still refusing to back up anything you say then.
    Either you are interested in finding

I am interested in discussing the thread topic, and I am interested in hearing what arguments, evidence, data or reasoning you have to substantiate the existence of a god.... or whatever god it is you believe in but are refusing to define.
    My understanding of substantiation is that it concerns the material. If you have a Christian definition of God you should see why such persistent requests are a fools errand.

Still refusing to say what is wrong with my definition that I offered. Does it not match the mono-theistic god? What issue have you with that definition? What is your own?

I'm not concerned. Nothing that has been said or posted here is capable of shaking my faith.

What is fun is watching atheists do what atheists do.

and God did show up, as Jesus Christ.

I'm not concerned. Nothing that has been said or posted here is capable of shaking my faith.

Why didn't he just show up as himself? Why the need for the complications?
    What do atheists do, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Was going to stay out of this thread but :(

We don't have their hand written manuscript do we?

We have the editted version of a translation, written by persons unknown.

Was going to stay out of this thread but :(

We don't have their hand written manuscript do we?

We have the editted version of a translation, written by persons unknown.

Do you have citations from a reputable Bible scholar to support this or are you merely presenting this as your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

You've got to ask, why on earth would the writers of the New Testament make up their accounts of Jesus? Think about it..putting their lives on the line, suffering immense persecution, some to the point of martyrdom...sounds like a great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

Thisname wrote: »
    You've got to ask, why on earth would the writers of the New Testament make up their accounts of Jesus? Think about it..putting their lives on the line, suffering immense persecution, some to the point of martyrdom...sounds like a great idea!

It's a good question. I think they would make up the accounts because people have been making up stories since we were able to communicate with each other.

The accounts of Jesus' life are very similar to accounts of the lives of many other deities and legendary characters.

It's human nature to make up tales. Have you ever been to a bookstore or library? We absolutely LOVE to make up stories. I see passionate conversations about Star Wars etc online all the time.

The only reason that The Bible has to be "true" is that people use that "truth" to take, and wield, power.

If you can convince someone that Jesus was real and they must behave a certain way or else then you have power over them.

The writers of the New Testament put their lives on the line because they felt that the reward was worth the risk. Or they were delusional.

They could have been delusional, you know. It's not impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

It there anything at all that could shake your faith?

I believed in the Christian God once but then I learned about other Gods and they appealed to me more so I felt a better connection to them.

Do you think that something similar could ever happen to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

Highly unlikely that a group of people, would be experiencing the same delusion about Jesus. And then go on to dedicate their lives to spreading the gospel, being persecuted and killed in the process (you can hardly compare that to some of your examples like Star Wars fans etc). The apostle Paul was converted on the road to Damascus. Prior to that he was zealously persecuting Christians for their faith. He had never met with the disciples, in fact if he has he would have killed them prior to his conversion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement