Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

I must say from an outsiders point of view that Zombrex's argument, nuanced as it is, is not as hard to follow as some are making it out to be. His assertions about rape in the old testament hold water so long as human nature being what it is is factored in to the equation. I have seen first hand the aftermath of war where specific buildings were used to house women for the express purpose of satisfying the lusts of those on the (at that time) winning side. You cannot attribute your moral codes to the soldiers taking wives and expect that all would be sweetness and light. This is not innocence but willful ignorance.
    Similarly there is an obvious willful ignorance of the point Zombrex is making on behalf of some posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Zombrex wrote: »
    Of course I claimed, I have always maintained that God ordered rape in the Old Testament.

You stated that I claimed that God ordered CHRISTIANS to rape people. I didn't (if he did I suspect none of you would be Christians).

So you think Christians believe the God of the old testament was a different God?

The whole point you are making to Christians seems to hinge on the idea of:

What if God told you to do something immoral? e.g. rape
    The point about such a commandment being against reason has been made to you i.e God would not do that.
    When this is pointed out to you you claim to Christians that the Bible shows that God does do that.

PDN asked you to show where and he is still waiting for your answer.
    EDIT[/b}

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75766537&postcount=742
    I'm not discussing this with you because I can't bear the idea that the Israelites might have committed rape. I'm discussing it with you because yopu made claims which I don't believe are supported by the evidence in the text.

Heck, I acknowledge that the Israelites killed entire cities of people at God's command which I find much more troubling as a Christian than the idea that some women might have been forced unwillingly into marriages! So I'm not disputing the rape thing with you because I want it not to be true - I'm simply pointing out what I genuinely believe, on textual and historical grounds, to be the case. The Israelites killed tons of people - but I don't see the evidence as supporting the rape allegation.

Others have pointed out to you that it is pointless to argue about a "what if" God who is not a Christian God.

Now you either claim that this God that commands rape is a Christian God or hs isnt.
    Which is it?

If he isn't then there is no purpose in debating it as part of Christianity.
    If he is -and you have just denied claiming that several times - how do you know?

No, trying to get you to state where I said God claimed Christians should rape people.

Can I take it from the fact that you have gone back to a post from 2006 (that still doesn't support your claim) that you don't have anything to back this up?

A bit rich coming from someone who claims God endorsed rape 5,000 years ago!
    Yes. You do believe that the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are the same God, correct?

So you claim the same christian God endorsed rape! Right after you say you never made such a claim?
    No, that isn't the question. The question is where did I claim that God commands Christians to rape people.

You claim OT God endoersed/commanded rape murder etc.
    You claim NT God is the exact same God as OT God
    Christians follow NT God
    Join up the dots yourself.
    I've claimed many many many times that God commanded the Israelites to rape and kill people.

Yes the same God that Christians worship!
    Admit it? That was my original claim. He did endorse rape and killing (posters like PDN even agree with the killing bit, just not the rape bit)

You were asked by PDN about the rape bit. You have waffled for pages on it and jhopped off into all sorts. Where is your evidence about the "rape bit" ?
    The Old Testament.

Deuteronomy 20:
    16 However, in the cities of the nations the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the LORD your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the LORD your God.
    [/quote]

How is this evidence that God ordered or endorsed rape?

ISAW wrote: »

Christians follow NT God

Can anyone please explain for one who doesn't understand; did God change the rules/His mind generally from the OT to the NT? If so, why is it thought that this was done? :confused: Is OT God thought to be different from NT God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

A bit rich coming from someone who claims God endorsed rape 5,000 years ago!

Yes but I claimed that today. You don't need to go back to 2006 to find where I said it.
    So you claim the same christian God endorsed rape! Right after you say you never made such a claim?

Please stop lying about me ISAW. I have always claimed God endorced rape. You stated I claimed that God commanded Christians to rape people. I did not.
    You claim OT God endoersed/commanded rape murder etc.
    Christians follow NT God

Ha, you might want to explain that one to PDN and your fellow Christians.

You sound like a naive atheist coming onto this forum saying "Why do you eat shellfish, doesn't God tell you not to"
    Yes the same God that Christians worship!
    Correct.

The same God who ordered the stoning of homosexuals, the execution of any woman not a virgin on her wedding night, the genocide of neighbouring villages.

Do you believe because it is the same God that all this is stuff Christians should continue doing? No? Neither do I.
    You were asked by PDN about the rape bit. You have waffled for pages on it and jhopped off into all sorts. Where is your evidence about the "rape bit" ?

In the posts to PDN
    How is this evidence that God ordered or endorsed rape?

Its not, it is evidence that God ordered killing, which is what you asked for.

BTW since you seem to be trying to change the subject, to you admit now that I did not state that God orders Christians to rape people?

• Advertisement

Simtech wrote: »
    Can anyone please explain for one who doesn't understand; did God change the rules/His mind generally from the OT to the NT? If so, why is it thought that this was done? :confused: Is OT God thought to be different from NT God?

i suggest you go back to where this thread began and read through PDN's posts.
    from around here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75762475&postcount=731

Yes but I claimed that today. You don't need to go back to 2006 to find where I said it.

No you didnt! You said you hadn't in particular claimed God or the Bible told Christians in particular to do things rape in particular which were wrong.

The more general claim was one about God or the bible or believers justifying immoral acts ( of course on scrutiny immoral = "just my opinion" )
    You used this claim of God telling people to rape and do generally "immoral" things with the makey uppey non christian "god" instructing people to do immoral acts.
    You stated I claimed that God commanded Christians to rape people. I did not.

You claimed he instructed believers to rape in ancient times . You have not shown where. you pointed out the God was the same god and you then used this God who instructs immorality to suggest if God told Christians to rape then that justifies rape.
    The same God who ordered the stoning of homosexuals, the execution of any woman not a virgin on her wedding night, the genocide of neighbouring villages.

Leave the general claim and care to tell us where that God instructed people to rape as you claimed?
    Its not, it is evidence that God ordered killing, which is what you asked for.

I specifically asked about rape. where is it?
    BTW since you seem to be trying to change the subject, to you admit now that I did not state that God orders Christians to rape people?

No that is the subject! You clearly argue that the God of the Bible orders immoral things and that rape was one of those things and that that same God ordering rape murder and immorality is the God of Christians.

Where? Where is the God of Christians ordering people to commit rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No, it generally isn't thought that God changes. Classical theism would hold to the immutability of God. What changes is his interaction with us. How we fit the incarnation into this is probably quite a large area for theological debate.

I personally think that God works within the context of our sovereignty (to at a greater or lesser extent). The analogy might be that of a maze. God stands outside the maze and his goal lies in the centre. The unfettered paths and the walls of the maze are our moments in history - sometimes these are moments of glory, other times they are acts of sin and rebellion against God. If he is to reach his goal and also permit us our sovereignty then I would think that his choices are limited.

I think of the story of the Bible as just that. God will reach his goal (redemption, judgement and renewal of creation) but he also does it through history and in response to the choices we make. The Bible isn't a rulebook of how to live (though I don't doubt that it contains such elements at it's core Matthew 22:37 for example). It a book of history, poetry, prose and any other number of genres that you can think. It is a story of fall and redemption of spread out over millennia. Not all that is contained in it's pages is encouraged or thought of as ideal. Sometimes there is no perfect solution - at least not in this life.

Again, the maze is an analogy. It therefore has weaknesses. I don't intent to imply that God is somehow dancing to our tune.

i suggest you go back to where this thread began and read through PDN's posts.
    from around here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75762475&postcount=731

Thanks but I've been following the debate and have read all of that. I meant it in a more general way, wondering if and why the character of Gods word changed between OT and NT, which is just the impression I've been getting (rightly or wrongly) from the debate.

Essentially what I'm obviously getting at is why was there a need for a New Testament at all? If God was passing His word to the masses through a few, was it that His message wasn't getting through or just not being heeded and the coming of Christ was necessary because the previous system just wasn't working or did the character of the message itself change fundamentally?

No you didnt! You said you hadn't in particular claimed God or the Bible told Christians in particular to do things rape in particular which were wrong.

The more general claim was one about God or the bible or believers justifying immoral acts ( of course on scrutiny immoral = "just my opinion" )
    You used this claim of God telling people to rape and do generally "immoral" things with the makey uppey non christian "god" instructing people to do immoral acts.

You claimed he instructed believers to rape in ancient times . You have not shown where. you pointed out the God was the same god and you then used this God who instructs immorality to suggest if God told Christians to rape then that justifies rape.

Leave the general claim and care to tell us where that God instructed people to rape as you claimed?

I specifically asked about rape. where is it?

No that is the subject! You clearly argue that the God of the Bible orders immoral things and that rape was one of those things and that that same God ordering rape murder and immorality is the God of Christians.

Where? Where is the God of Christians ordering people to commit rape?

So can I take it from all that ranting that you are dropping the charge that I claimed that God has ordered Christians to commit rape?

I'm happy to move on but I would like you to acknowledge that I didn't say that, because you have a habit of steering the discussion on and then much later re-surfacing the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This "debate" is all over the shop, so much so that it might be better off progressing to another discussion while Zombrex gets his position together in a clear manner.

So can I take it from all that ranting that you are dropping the charge that I claimed that God has ordered Christians to commit rape?

You claimed God ( the same God as the Christian God) instructed his followers to rape. Im interested in you supporting that claim. You did say and it is quite clear is that God ordered immoral acts such as rape. If you are saying he didnt odred it since the time of christ but did order it before that it makes no difference - it is the same God.

We are still waiting for this "ordering rape" evidence. where is it?
    I'm happy to move on but I would like you to acknowledge that I didn't say that, because you have a habit of steering the discussion on and then much later re-surfacing the charge.

Rubbish! It is you who are doing that. You may for example deny being a relativist and then later argue from a relativist position.

Now get this straight you called me a LIAR! I didn't tell any lies! I believe you stated in various discussions for years that the God of the Bible ( the God of Christians) instructed his followers to rape. His followers are today Christians and I believe you stated their God told people to rape or endorsed them raping. I believe you stated that and I am not lying about it. If you are saying God did it but not in the last 2000 years I'm prepared to accept that- when you state it, because I actually don't know what you believe.

But let us clear it up then...

Are you now stating for the record that the Christian God did not instruct anyone to rape?
    OR
    Are you saying God did instruct people to rape but not since Christianity came about and only before that? If so when and where?

You claimed God ( the same God as the Christian God) instructed his followers to rape. Im interested in you supporting that claim.

And I'm interested in you either supporting your claim that I said God has ordered Christians to commit rape, or retracting it.
    You did say and it is quite clear is that God ordered immoral acts such as rape. If you are saying he didnt odred it since the time of christ but did order it before that it makes no difference - it is the same God.

It makes a difference to 2.1 billion Christians who currently do not follow the Mosaic laws.

I'm not quite sure are you just trying to back track out of admitting a mistake, or do you really think that Christians adhere to the Old Testament commandments.
    We are still waiting for this "ordering rape" evidence. where is it?
    I told you where it is and I'm not discussing it with you until you either support your original charge or retract it.
    Now get this straight you called me a LIAR! I didn't tell any lies!

You claimed I stated that God has commanded Christians to rape people. I did not. You have been unable to support this claim yet you have refused to retract it. In fact you have repeated it even after this was drawn to your attention. Then you claimed I was falsely denying the original claim.
    I actually don't know what you believe.

What I believe is in the posts I write. If you go on them rather than making up my position you will be fine.

Now, either support your claim against me or retract it.

philologos wrote: »
    This "debate" is all over the shop, so much so that it might be better off progressing to another discussion while Zombrex gets his position together in a clear manner.

Position is perfectly clear Philologo, in fact I went to the trouble of writing a few posts about it after you claimed I wasn't being clear enough for you.

Funnily enough since I did that everything has gone some what quiet except for ISAW's persistent attempts to argue the sky is red.

I would of course like to think that I've stunned you all with the beauty of my argument, but it could also be a Sunday night perhaps you are all doing the washing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I would of course like to think that I've stunned you all with the beauty of my argument...

Yeah, you've stunned us into silence. What were we thinking when we thought that we had explained things sufficiently about the Christian position on this subject to you? How were we to know that you're even duller of hearing than we first thought?

For the last time: God never commanded rape, God never condoned rape. God commanded His people people to take control of a particular piece of land as their inheritance. A land that was at that time plagued by a people who sacrificed their children to false gods. Who participated in heinous acts of sodomy, rape and beastiality. They defiled themselves and their land and God was using His chosen people to drive them out of that land so that when they moved in it would blossom again. He did the same thing to His own people when they became depraved in their activities, forgetting the Sabbath year and failing to the land lie fallow in order for it would be reinvigorated for the next six years and so on. He raised up the Babylonians to do to them what He commanded His people to do to the Canaanites, that was to get them out of the land.

That's the way He did things back then, because that land was going to be the land who's capital was the Holy City Jerusalem in which was built the Temple with the Arc of the Covenant, into which Temple the Messiah would enter in His first coming. It was this city that Messiah would perform His work to save mankind from their sins. Pretty important land from God's perspective. When you look at the bigger picture you can see why He wanted the Canaanites out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah, you've stunned us into silence. What were we thinking when we thought that we had explained things sufficiently about the Christian position on this subject to you? How were we to know that you're even duller of hearing than we first thought?

For the last time: God never commanded rape, God never condoned rape. God commanded His people people to take control of a particular piece of land as their inheritance. A land that was at that time plagued by a people who sacrificed their children to false gods. Who participated in heinous acts of sodomy, rape and beastiality. They defiled themselves and their land and God was using His chosen people to drive them out of that land so that when they moved in it would blossom again. He did the same thing to His own people when they became depraved in their activities, forgetting the Sabbath year and failing to the land lie fallow in order for it would be reinvigorated for the next six years and so on. He raised up the Babylonians to do to them what He commanded His people to do to the Canaanites, that was to get them out of the land.

That's the way He did things back then, because that land was going to be the land who's capital was the Holy City Jerusalem in which was built the Temple with the Arc of the Covenant, into which Temple the Messiah would enter in His first coming. It was this city that Messiah would perform His work to save mankind from their sins. Pretty important land from God's perspective. When you look at the bigger picture you can see why He wanted the Canaanites out of it.

If God is infallible, how can he change his mind and do things differently?
    If God is all powerful, why not simply get rid of them.
    If God is all-knowing, how can you sit there and say with a straight face that when he said "take their women" this would be interpreted as "take them for your own, don't worry, it's not like kidnapping or forced marriage, or even rape, just because they don't want to, because I, God, say it's okay" or "take them for your own, but remember, just because you've killed all the men doesn't mean it's okay to have your way with them".

Let's look back on history, and the actions of warriors across the world. It's hardly uncommon for them to rape the women after the men have been killed, this is just one group justifying it by saying "God told us to kill them all, and take what we wanted", and "We can justify killing people, because God told us it was okay".

What a crock.

(Note. That's technically more aimed at any religion that murders people based on the words a "God" gave them)

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If God is all powerful, why not simply get rid of them.
    If God is all-knowing, how can you sit there and say with a straight face that when he said "take their women" this would be interpreted as "take them for your own, don't worry, it's not like kidnapping or forced marriage, or even rape, just because they don't want to, because I, God, say it's okay" or "take them for your own, but remember, just because you've killed all the men doesn't mean it's okay to have your way with them".

Let's look back on history, and the actions of warriors across the world. It's hardly uncommon for them to rape the women after the men have been killed, this is just one group justifying it by saying "God told us to kill them all, and take what we wanted", and "We can justify killing people, because God told us it was okay".

What a crock.

That's the whole point. If God doesn't exist and didn't tell them to do it then yes of course its a load of tosh. But if God does exist and did tell them to do it for whatever reason He deemed sufficient then that's a different story. As Christians we believe that God exists and told them to do it. You don't believe He exists and didn't tell them to do it. Of course you would be appalled at a group claiming that God told them to do such things. We're not because we believe He does exist and did tell them to do such things and that He had sufficiently good reasons for doing so. If He exists then as the creator of the earth its His blooming land to give to whomever He wants. You don't have to like that but it is what it is. If I were God I would have wiped them out myself and made it easy for the Israelites to just occupy the land. But He didn't want to do it that way for some reason known only to Him.

Maybe He's trying to teach us something today. God's ways are not man's ways. That is not a cop out, that's been central to the teaching of the Bible for centuries. But God did not command them to commit rape no matter what way you want to dice it. These people were given the option of surrender and they didn't take it so their men were wiped out. They could have just left the land but they wouldn't. Their women and children were left without protectors. God gave them into the hands of the Israelites which was to them a great mercy, they had someone to take care of them. Nothing about rape. That's simply inferred by your brain doing overtime. No evidence of it whatsoever. How do you know that these women and children were not happier with the Israelites than they were with the own men? I'd say the Israelites gave them a better life, a life without fear of their kids being sacrificed to idols.

Like I said, if I were God I would have wiped them all out myself, long before God got around to it, but then I'm not God am I? As long as its possible that God might have had sufficiently good reasons for doing it the way He chose to do it then He knows all ends and what we might consider barbaric from our vantage point in history might bare nothing on the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's the whole point. If God doesn't exist and didn't tell them to do it then yes of course its a load of tosh. But if God does exist and did tell them to do it for whatever reason He deemed sufficient then that's a different story. As Christians we believe that God exists and told them to do it. You don't believe He exists and didn't tell them to do it. Of course you would be appalled at a group claiming that God told them to do such things. We're not because we believe He does exist and did tell them to do such things and that He had sufficiently good reasons for doing so. If He exists then as the creator of the earth its His blooming land to give to whomever He wants. You don't have to like that but it is what it is. If I were God I would have wiped them out myself and made it easy for the Israelites to just occupy the land. But He didn't want to do it that way for some reason known only to Him.

Maybe He's trying to teach us something today. God's ways are not man's ways. That is not a cop out, that's been central to the teaching of the Bible for centuries. But God did not command them to commit rape no matter what way you want to dice it. These people were given the option of surrender and they didn't take it so their men were wiped out. They could have just left the land but they wouldn't. Their women and children were left without protectors. God gave them into the hands of the Israelites which was to them a great mercy, they had someone to take care of them. Nothing about rape. That's simply inferred by your brain doing overtime. No evidence of it whatsoever. How do you know that these women and children were not happier with the Israelites than they were with the own men? I'd say the Israelites gave them a better life, a life without fear of their kids being sacrificed to idols.

Like I said, if I were God I would have wiped them all out myself, long before God got around to it, but then I'm not God am I? As long as its possible that God might have had sufficiently good reasons for doing it the way He chose to do it then He knows all ends and what we might consider barbaric from our vantage point in history might bare nothing on the greater scheme of things.

Do you really believe the Israelites where there to "take care of them"?
    Soul Winner you are a clever man, it comes across in your posts and I will not argue that.
    Those people became their property. Justified because they claimed God was on their side.

The Ancient Greek armies wiped out entire villages, slaughtering people and taking women and children as their own, justified because their Gods said they should do it. But looking back on it now, we know it was about power and land. The same is said for every other civilization in history, even the British claimed God was on their side as they built their empire, so did the French and Spanish and some would say the same about the U.S. now.
    But of course, we look back now and say "No that wasn't god, that was power hungry men using God as an excuse".

I have no problem with belief in a God or Gods (I actually quite like the Buddhists belief, or hell, even the Star Wars Force idea). It speaks to us in a deep way. Even the most string Atheist, at the pit of their heart wonders if there is something else.
    I take issue when people do a bad thing, and then call it good because God said it was okay.
    We laugh at the people who murder their own children "Because God told them too", and who knows, maybe God did, but that doesn't mean doing it was right. But we all know they were crazy anyway!

I take issue with any belief system that justifies hatred, murder and war because God says it's okay.

For all the good things Religion can do, the bad things can and have utterly destroyed it for millions of people across the world.

I believe people are equal, no matter the race/sexuality/gender or anything else. Giving to charity is good, killing is bad. And so on.

And I'm interested in you either supporting your claim that I said God has ordered Christians to commit rape, or retracting it.
    I won't let you off the hook.
    So I withdraw and retract any suggestion that you said Christians were asked to rape by God since Christianity began.

But that makes no difference ( or no sense) as your whole argument rests on the God who commanded rape being the same God as the Christian God.

This isn't about what you are interested in. It is about your claim
    that God commanded rape.

Now.
    Did you are did you not say God commanded rape?
    Are you claiming that the God of Christians is a different God?

Did you state it or not? Did you state God commanded rape or not?
    Care to state what you are claiming?

I can always rely on Soul Winner to help demonstrate my point :)

You just spent two long posts justifying these actions in human terms to your satisfaction. God is good (according to you).

• Advertisement

I won't let you off the hook.

Er I'm not on a hook ISAW, you are the one making false claims about me.
    So I withdraw and retract any suggestion that you said Christians were asked to rape by God since Christianity began.

Now, that wasn't too hard was it.
    But that makes no difference ( or no sense) as your whole argument rests on the God who commanded rape being the same God as the Christian God.

Er, my whole argument doesn't rest on that but yes that is what Christians believe.

You keep stating this as if it is some original idea I've come up with. Do you not agree that Christians believe that the God of the Old Testament is the same God as the god in the New Testament?
    This isn't about what you are interested in. It is about your claim
    that God commanded rape.

Now.
    Did you are did you not say God commanded rape?
    Are you claiming that the God of Christians is a different God?

Yes, along with infanticide and genocide and a host of other horrible things. It is amusing that people are getting worked up about the rape bit. PDN was at least honest and consistent reasonably say that it was just a matter of accuracy, where as everyone else things it is some how a bad thing that God wouldn't do (and I suspect that was PDN's initial reaction until he realized what was happening). Though I guess as Soul Winner's post demonstrated it is easier to justify the infanticide (for their own good) and genocide (they were doing bad things), where as finding a justification (using our own moral systems) for rape would be more difficult.

The god of the Christians (as you put it) is the same God as in the Old Testament according to Christians (Jews might disagree).

Yes, along with infanticide and genocide and a host of other horrible things. It is amusing that people are getting worked up about the rape bit.

Okay. where
    Where did God order people to commit rape?
    PDN was at least honest and consistent reasonably say that it was just a matter of accuracy,

Ill let PND say what PDN said. I don't believe he stated rape was an accurate description of what God commanded.
    I suspect that was PDN's initial reaction until he realized what was happening).

Again ill let PDN say what he thought.
    Though I guess as Soul Winner's post demonstrated it is easier to justify the infanticide (for their own good) and genocide (they were doing bad things), where as finding a justification (using our own moral systems) for rape would be more difficult.

Ill let Soul winner say what he wants to say about God justifying rape.
    Where do you say God order people to commit rape?
    The god of the Christians (as you put it) is the same God as in the Old Testament according to Christians (Jews might disagree).

Where did that God order people to commit rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Okay. where

While I try to avoid these kind of discussions: My understanding is that it is well established that God orders people to kill and rape. It was just that rape and killing was culturally acceptable at the time. God, for example, kills David's son with disease and threatens to have his wives raped in broad daylight. But the treatment of women as objects for men to "lie with" was culturally acceptable and not seen as "rape", and the killing of children was lawful and not seen as "murder".

What a crock.

Nobody seems to want to address this basic point other than to say "Ah well, He must have had his own reasons." In spite of those saying it's not, this is a cop out if ever there was one. If He wasn't wrong in the first place, He should never have had to change tack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nobody seems to want to address this basic point other than to say "Ah well, He must have had his own reasons." In spite of those saying it's not, this is a cop out if ever there was one. If He wasn't wrong in the first place, He should never have had to change tack.

The basic point is crock. And your accusation is untrue. We are perfectly willing to explain why God uses different methods in the Old Testament and the New Testament. It's not our fault if others don't want to listen when we explain it.

Christians believe that God has revealed himself progressively in stages to mankind. This is not because God changes, but because people, along with their cultures etc, take time to develop.

Christians believe that God chose the Jewish nation, as described in the Old Testament, in order that they would bring forth the Messiah (Jesus Christ). Once the Messiah came, then people would have a fuller revelation of who God is.

We can compare this to how teachers use very different methods to teach math to primary school children than to students in seconary school.

In primary school you are taught that you cannot subtract a larger number from a smaller number. Then, in secondary school, you learn about minus numbers and hey, guess what, you can subtract a larger number from a smaller number!

Were the teachers in primary school wrong? Or did they change their mind and start teaching something different to the older children? No. They taught the primary aged children in terms that made sense to their level of understanding. Then, with older children, they were able to introduce more complex concepts that were suited to their more developed frames of reference.

So, in the Old Testament the people were to form a nation that would follow God and which would eventually produce Jesus Christ. To do this, as with any nation in history, they had to fight wars with those who would otherwise destroy them. In those wars they observed the commonly accepted rules of warfare - the Geneva Convention of their time. (Despite some highly opinionated assertions by some non-Christians, and some gross dishonesty by others, there is no evidence that this ever included rape, but it certainly included mass killings of a kind to make any sane modern person highly uncomfortable).

In the New Testament, now that Jesus has already come, God's plan for Christians is very different. Not because God has changed, but because Israel's pupose is already accomplished. Christians are not to be a nation, but are to live in a way that demonstrates the Gospel of Christ and encourages others to embrace this new message and lifestyle. So now they are not to fight wars, but are rather called to turn the other cheek and endure persecution. The Gospel is not like a tribal or national identity - it does not need to fight wars to survive. In fact it grows and spreads faster and in a more pure form when it refuses to take up arms.

Do you really believe the Israelites where there to "take care of them"?

Well it was better than killing them. It was common practice that the spoils of war included women and children. I'd rather that than be killed or left defenseless in the wilderness somewhere.
    Those people became their property. Justified because they claimed God was on their side.

But it was either commanded or it wasn't. If it wasn't then what they did was no different to what any other people did in war. To the victor go the spoils etc. But if they were acting on a divine command then they were simply carrying out their moral responsibility under their God, whom, if He exists is the creator of the universe and all life in it.
    The Ancient Greek armies wiped out entire villages, slaughtering people and taking women and children as their own, justified because their Gods said they should do it. But looking back on it now, we know it was about power and land.

The ancient Greeks conquered most of the then known world. The Israelites were focused on a particular piece of land which to their God was a very important place. Alexander the great was insane and wept when there were no more lands to conquer whereas God had to wipe out everyone over 20 years of age of His own people because they wouldn't take the land that He commanded them to take.
    The same is said for every other civilization in history, even the British claimed God was on their side as they built their empire, so did the French and Spanish and some would say the same about the U.S. now. But of course, we look back now and say "No that wasn't god, that was power hungry men using God as an excuse".

But we don't look back on Israel in that way. As Christians we look back and believe that God actually was on the side of the Israelites.
    I have no problem with belief in a God or Gods (I actually quite like the Buddhists belief, or hell, even the Star Wars Force idea). It speaks to us in a deep way. Even the most string Atheist, at the pit of their heart wonders if there is something else.

Christians are often accused of believing in God because it gives them comfort to know that there is something after death worth striving for. But I could say the same thing about atheists. The reason they like Buddhists belief systems is because their is no accountability to a righteous God who will judge them. So the same charge can be made, there is comfort in that religion and that's why it appeals to them. Doesn't make it true though.
    I take issue when people do a bad thing, and then call it good because God said it was okay.
    We laugh at the people who murder their own children "Because God told them too", and who knows, maybe God did, but that doesn't mean doing it was right. But we all know they were crazy anyway!

If there is ultimate accountability and God did tell them to kill their kids then He can't hold them morally responsible for it. However it is unlikely that God would tell them to do such a thing because the word already spoken said that we are not to kill. But if they believe that God did tell them and He actually didn't tell them, then we have mental health issues that need to be addressed. But then that is the whole point of this thread. God giving the command to take a certain piece of land either through surrender or by the sword then its God land and He is simply using His people to carry out His judgments on another people who also fall under the remit of His judgment as their creator too. God killing someone for evil acts and sins is not murder, its judgment. Why can ye not get this very very very simple concept? Its staggering to me that ye cannot grasp this.

For the record I agree that if the Israelites were only making the God excuse up then yes, they are no different to any other pagan people who did similar things. But we as Christians do not believe this to be the case. God is a God of Judgment, it is terrifying to know that one day we will be individually and specifically held accountable for our actions and non-actions in this life. But as Christians we accept what Christ did in order to save us from this terrible judgment and we are no longer appointed unto wrath because He took the wrath for us. The only people who come under wrath now are those who do not accept this covering that God Himself provided.

So unless you're perfect then your ass is going to fry without the covering, if that doesn't put the fear of God in you and lead you to run to Him on order to be saved from this impending doom and destruction then nothing will. Not accepting a God like this is not going to do anything to the reality of the situation if He exists. He is not running a popularity contest. He is not asking us to approve of His ways before He acts. We either run to the protection of the cross or take the penalty of death ourselves. Despite the popular view, Christianity is a tough tough message but it is also the most wonderful message because of our condition of alienation from God and a way back to Him is no possible through Jesus. I suggest that everyone grab it with both hands and never let go but that's a personal an individual choice that everyone must either choose to make or not. It can't be made for you by someone else.
    I take issue with any belief system that justifies hatred, murder and war because God says it's okay.

Would the Jews be justified in hating the Nazis? Is that justifiable hatred? Was it not a just thing that America enter WWII? Was it just for Churchill to defy Hitler? If you take issue with these decisions then you might need to rethink that position. I for one do not share it.
    For all the good things Religion can do, the bad things can and have utterly destroyed it for millions of people across the world.

We hardly ever hear of all the good that religion does in the world because the media for the most part is only ever interested in the negatives on everything. So if your whole outlook on life is shaped by what is reported in the media then I feel sorry for you.
    I believe people are equal, no matter the race/sexuality/gender or anything else. Giving to charity is good, killing is bad. And so on.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Well said PDN. Good post.

Morbert wrote: »
    While I try to avoid these kind of discussions: My understanding is that it is well established that God orders people to kill and rape.

Where is God ordering rape well established?
    God, for example, kills David's son with disease and threatens to have his wives raped in broad daylight.

Where does god order rape here?
    But the treatment of women as objects for men to "lie with" was culturally acceptable and not seen as "rape", and the killing of children was lawful and not seen as "murder".

Where? Where is the rape of women commanded?

PDN wrote: »
    In primary school you are taught that you cannot subtract a larger number from a smaller number. Then, in secondary school, you learn about minus numbers and hey, guess what, you can subtract a larger number from a smaller number!

Were the teachers in primary school wrong? Or did they change their mind and start teaching something different to the older children? No. They taught the primary aged children in terms that made sense to their level of understanding. Then, with older children, they were able to introduce more complex concepts that were suited to their more developed frames of reference.

An excellent analogy PDN.

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    The basic point is crock. And your accusation is untrue. We are perfectly willing to explain why God uses different methods in the Old Testament and the New Testament. It's not our fault if others don't want to listen when we explain it.

I asked here and Sonics2k asked here; it was not addressed. I don't propose to spend all my time sifting through years of posts in case my questions have been asked previously. It hasn't, in as far as I've seen, been addressed while I've been following so untwist your knickers if you can reach up that far.

Christians believe that God has revealed himself progressively in stages to mankind. This is not because God changes, but because people, along with their cultures etc, take time to develop.

Christians believe that God chose the Jewish nation, as described in the Old Testament, in order that they would bring forth the Messiah (Jesus Christ). Once the Messiah came, then people would have a fuller revelation of who God is.

Well if that's the best he could come up with and Christians believe it........they are entitled to believe any ould thing they want I suppose.

We can compare this to how teachers use very different methods to teach math to primary school children than to students in seconary school.

Well my six year old daughter can subtract a large number from a small number with little difficulty, coming out with a minus number, so it would appear something is lacking in the approach to maths in primary schools would it not.
    That's a terrible analogy btw. I'm sure God could have revealed Himself in better ways as am I sure teachers could teach in better ways. It boils down to a desire to do so or lack thereof and is questionable in both cases by reasonable men. Of course it's only blasphemy in one case.

So, in the Old Testament the people were to form a nation that would follow God and which would eventually produce Jesus Christ. To do this, as with any nation in history, they had to fight wars with those who would otherwise destroy them. In those wars they observed the commonly accepted rules of warfare - the Geneva Convention of their time.

Of course where rules were not observed (you know little of warfare if you think this was not the case a lot of the time) they were no doubt doing it on their own, uncommanded by God who, no doubt, bears no responsibility. I can see the appeal of your innocent world view here but I'm glad I don't share it. Still, they say willful ignorance is bliss eh?

(Despite some highly opinionated assertions by some non-Christians, and some gross dishonesty by others, there is no evidence that this ever included rape, but it certainly included mass killings of a kind to make any sane modern person highly uncomfortable).

See above!

In the New Testament, now that Jesus has already come, God's plan for Christians is very different.

So you admit that the plan changed then? There may be hope for you yet. ;)

Not because God has changed, but because Israel's pupose is already accomplished. Christians are not to be a nation, but are to live in a way that demonstrates the Gospel of Christ and encourages others to embrace this new message and lifestyle. So now they are not to fight wars, but are rather called to turn the other cheek and endure persecution. The Gospel is not like a tribal or national identity - it does not need to fight wars to survive. In fact it grows and spreads faster and in a more pure form when it refuses to take up arms.

Oh well that's alright then, lets forget all about it, let bygones be bygones, let's never speak of it again then.

So first wholesale slaughter, then turning the other cheek. How oh how could I have not seen one as the obvious and natural progression of the other?

It's clear to me now what a stand up job God has done of managing the revelation of his existence ruling out any possibility of doubt from those he made inquisitive. Top job there big man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement