Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cato Maior

beerbuddy wrote: »
    The Christian answer to this is man determines his own future while the Athiest responce is we dont control it we are prisoners of our genes.Open the prisons they couldnt help themselves.

Who has the weaked standpoint christian or athiest ????

Why not stand up to the plate and say yes man is responsible for his own actions.

Why would atheists argue that we are prisoners of our genes? Our genes do not determine our every action and there are huge environmental and 'nurture' factors to take account of as well as our own will.

Not every atheist is a determinist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Cato Maior wrote: »
    Why would atheists argue that we are prisoners of our genes? Our genes do not determine our every action and there are huge environmental and 'nurture' factors to take account of as well as our own will.

Not every atheist is a determinist.

Most Atheists are naturalists, and determinist. It goes with the territory - if they aren't determinist than they act within any givin chance boundaries they happen to land on, and only move within those inputs.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Most Atheists are naturalists, and determinist. It goes with the territory - if they aren't determinist than they act within any givin chance boundaries they happen to land on, and only move within those inputs.

Most, but not all. That is important. There are different strengths of determinism, some allow for limited free will.

In any event, the same factors that could be judged to 'determine' the atheist, also apply to theists - genes, environment, upbringing and so on and so forth.

Most, but not all. That is important. There are different strengths of determinism, some allow for limited free will.

In any event, the same factors that could be judged to 'determine' the atheist, also apply to theists - genes, environment, upbringing and so on and so forth.

Not necessarily. They say faith can move mountains - I think it does, it's the most historical and modern arguement of Christianity really, it's the testimony of the Saints. They act against environment, against upbringing, against anything deterministic etc. they do good because it's the right thing to do. That's why we call them Saints.

Not necessarily. They say faith can move mountains - I think it does, it's the most historical and modern arguement of Christianity really, it's the testimony of the Saints. They act against reason, against environment, against upbringing, against anything deterministic etc. That's why we call them Saints.

You know that the above is difficult to prove (but that is not to say that it is not true) as any given the huge amount of variables that went into someone's character, it is difficult to identify all the determining factors.

Fear not. We Stoics have similar figures - we call them Sages.

• Advertisement

You know that the above is difficult to prove (but that is not to say that it is not true) as any given the huge amount of variables that went into someone's character, it is difficult to identify all the determining factors.

Fear not. We Stoics have similar figures - we call them Sages.

Yep, I know. Chance makes somebody a sage - it's determined.

Yep, I know. Chance makes somebody a sage - it's determined.

No. One becomes a sage through an act of will, training, and discipline.

No. One becomes a sage through an act of will, training, and discipline.

Well, that sounds very familiar.

Well, that sounds very familiar.

Not surprising. Some Stoicism ended up being blended into Christianity although much was lost. Aquinas though picked up the scent and both he and the Stoics had a common source in Aristotle. Sadly though, much of the Stoic techniques did not make it into the blending.

No element of grace in Stoicism though.

No, we parted ways..much like many philosophies. Jesus, for Christians is God, the Saviour Incarnate - much hinges on belief in him who was born as a babe, lived, taught, died, and rose from the dead...Very much.

• Advertisement

No, we parted ways..much like many philosophies. Jesus, for Christians is God, the Saviour Incarnate - much hinges on belief in him who was born as a babe, lived, taught, died, and rose from the dead...Very much.

Oh there was a parting, for sure, but quite a lot of Greek thought, and to a lesser extent Roman thought, went into Christianity. But you know this...

Oh there was a parting, for sure, but quite a lot of Greek thought, and to a lesser extent Roman thought, went into Christianity. But you know this...

Have you something to teach me?

Have you something to teach me?

I would guess that you already know it. But of course, it is always rare in this life to meet someone we cannot learn from.

I would guess that you already know it. But of course, it is always rare in this life to meet someone we cannot learn from.

No, it's not rare, it's fairly commonplace for me to learn - I am the biggest sinner on the Christianity forum I'm quite sure, but I am one of it's biggest advocates too - There is nothing like learning; I was born to learn and teach, so I love it, knowing and proving nothing, but absolutely bought and paid for by a means I cannot describe properly. I was dead walking. I'm not anymore, I feel everybodies pain, I live..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dimithy wrote: »
    Did Jesus' actions in the story of the loaves and fishes have an effect on the free will of the people he fed?

Yes, it had an effect in that it gave them an extra choice to make.

Now they could choose to eat the bread and fish, or they could choose not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ISAW wrote: »
    Ill agree that empirical science is about measurement and that means actual physical measurement in predefined physical units.

It might get a bit ropey however in social science where the units are say units of "fear" or "surprise" rather than kg seconds and meters. In fact a lot of science is "exploratory talk" and not as definite as physics. Say for example the first ideas about atmospheric pressure
    referring to "springiness" of the air.

There is nothing wrong with exploratory talk, as you put it, so long as one realizes where it falls in the process. It is the start, not the ending.
    Well science may also accept things as scientific and not wholly understand them or explain them. For example electricity in the early days; modern cosmology; quantum physics. There are a whole load of things from non physical sciences. But say for example psychic powers did exist and someone passed a fair test ( say telekinesis). WE might not be able to explain it but we can measure it scientifically and accept it is happening.

That is precisely the point. Suppositions in science are regarded as just that. This is in direct contrast to something like theology.
    What is a "non physical methodology" in your own definition?

I know God exists because I hear him in my head.

I know God exists because that wouldn't have happened if he didn't.

I know God exists because we all have a sense of right and wrong and that could have only come from God.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.
    What is a supernatural phenomenon?
    God resurrect Jesus from the cross.
    If a methodology can explore or describe supernatural phenomena is it not already scientific by definition?

Yes, that is the point.

To say that science only deals with the physical (which TQE stated) as if it is purposefully ignoring the supernatural is in accurate.

Science would deal with the supernatural if it could. It cannot because no one has come up with methods to explore or describe the supernatural that pass scientific standards.

Yet despite this millions of people regularly claim to know a whole host of things about the supernatural.
    But you are therefore asserting that the only way to know abut anything is through scientific enquiry. How can science tell us all about peace or art or love or sport?

Well depends on what question you are asking about peace or art or love or sport.

But all those things fall into the realm of science and science can tell us a great deal about them.

Which apparently was the world before the Fall. But human choice changed that.

No, God changed that. Humans do not have the power to reshape reality.
    True Adam apparently was not limited in choosing to reject that world.

Ah! But Adam didn't realise the consequences of his own free choice was to introduce a world where death harm etc. would be allowed.
    And?
    Actually the point is that bad things happen because people in the past freely chose to allow bad things into the world.
    Also, ignorance of the implications of a choice does not remove the choice.
    No, the argument is that God must allow bad things to happen to maintain free will. I think you see that this argument fails.
    Indeed we can assume God could remove logic and reason but we assume God is a reasonable and benevolent god who chooses not to do that.

Removing logic and reason is not necessary, any more than God removed logic and reasons when he decided that water at 15 degrees C would not harm you.
    Nor do we assume that because we live in a universe with death and pain that another universe without suffering is impossible.

That is what some of your fellow Christians appear to believe.
    In fact we already such a universe can and did exist but man rejected it.
    Well "unimaginative " Christians believe it anyway.
    The Bible does not describe Adam rejecting Eden. It describes Adam being thrown out of Eden for not doing as he was told.
    And restricting people's choice in order to prevent them from harming each other would be more reasonable?

As reasonable as already restricting people's choice for all the millions of things they cannot do.

You do not have a choice to walk through a wall. Do you find the world devoid of reason or logic, or that you have no free will

You do not have a choice of burning someone to death with a cup of luke warm water. Do you find the world devoid of reason or logic, or that you have no free will?
    so if a civilization scientifically discovers the atomic bomb or doomsday weapon they should destroy it and all their knowledge about it. Why is it they didn't do that? the greatest scientific advances in weapons technology was all done by morons?

That comment seems unconnected to what we have been discussing? Was it meant for me?

PDN wrote: »
    FYP

Oh believe PDN I've explained at length to numerous posters that this isn't the case. As you may have discovered yourself most of the atheists on this forum do not back away from explaining and re-explaining their points as needed. Often to the growing annoyance of the theist posters who are perhaps not used to such rigorous support of a position. ;)
    Such an argument would only hold true in a world where all actions were morally neutral (ie in a world where no-one can make any choices that are immoral).

The morality of an action is not particular relevant. The morality comes after the physicality of the action.

It is immoral to thrown a pot of boiling water on someone because it will burn them horribly, causing significant suffering and perhaps even death. This is a consequence of the physical rules established as part of the universe.

While it is annoying it is far from the same level of immorality of throwing a cup of luke warm water on someone. This is because such an action is largely harmless.

So we have a universe that, for what ever reason, God has established physical rules that make use susceptible to harm if we are exposed to water at a particular temperature.

Could he have done something different? Of course. Would this have effected free will? No, at least not more than any other restriction God has placed on us. I could still throw the pot of water over you, it just wouldn't do anything.

In this supposed universe you would not be able to burn someone to death with water of any temperature, but this would no more mean you do not have free will than not being able to burn someone to death with a glass of luke warm water does.
    I seriously doubt whether such a world could logically exist and still provide for free will. Free will, as understood by moral philosophers of all belief systems, means more than making a morally neutral choice whether to wear a blue shirt or a red shirt.

So do you feel you do not have free will because you cannot kill someone with a glass of luke warm water?
    Of course one possible way this could be done might be God fooling us that our decisions really mattered - when in reality we are simply experiencing an illusion.

Possibly but that isn't necessary. God can make reality any way he likes. An illusionary world is not necessary. Just a different real world with different physical properties. Free will would, as it is in this universe, be a choice between the limited options.

You seem to be suggesting that if I do not have the option to cause you harm I do not have free will. There seems to be no logical basis for that assertion.
    So I think it is a philosophically valid argument to suggest that a world with free moral choices (one in which qualities like love and bravery mean something) must by definition include at least the possibility of hurting someone else.

Well you have dropped bravery in there I see so I suspect you are gearing up for a classic shifting of the goal posts so common on this forum. So lets nip that in the bud.

It is entirely consistent to argue that in order for bravery to exist there must be the possibility of harm, since bravery by definition is courage to continue to do something despite risk of harm. You cannot be brave if you cannot be harmed.

But since when is bravery required for free will. Right now I am in my apartment typing on a computer, there is nothing brave about anything I'm doing. Does that mean I have no free will and am not making choices? Of course not. I'm making tons of choices.
    In that case the debate shifts somewhat. The issue is not really about the existence of evil or suffering - it is about why there is so much of it. Would any of us be having this debate if the worse thing you could do to another human being was to wake them up in the middle of the night, causing sleeplessness?

And that is what Dostoyevsky wrestled with in The Brothers Karamazov, in his conversation between Ivan and Alyosha about a child torn to pieces by a lanndlord's dogs (I think Fanny Cradock already referred to this). The existence of evil is not the problem - it is the intensity and unfairness of such incidents. Is such suffering as we see in the world really worth the gift of free moral choices, of love, of compassion?

The problem as I would see it is that the physical nature of reality makes it relatively easy to harm others, and provides a whole host of ways to harm others. Humans are physical weak and surrounded by a world in which there exists a multitude of methods of harm. There is no logical reason why this has to be the case in order to maintain free will (yes bravery, but then why is the existence of bravery required for free will).

Even if we suppose for a minute (which I don't by the way but you seem rather insistent) that in order to maintain free will God must provide some way for you to seriously harm or kill me. There is no reason why that way has to be an easy.

Imagine if the only way to harm someone was a hugely involved complicated and different task. You could still, if you could stick it out, choose to do it. But few ever would because humans are inherently lazy. Imagine if killing someone required the same effort as landing someone on the Moon. Do we not have free will because it is hard to land someone on the Moon? No. So why would we not have free will if the only way to harm someone required similar effort. I very much doubt people would bother.

But for some reason God decided that in fact he was going to make a universe where it was quite easy to harm each other (and very difficult to go to the Moon, go figure).
    I actually think that is a debate worth having - but I doubt if we will have it, because the next few pages will probably be dominated by a poster making repeated assertions without proving or demonstrating his point.

Not sure if that is in reference to me but I assure you I'm more than happy to have this debate and more than happy to spend any amount of time explaining and demonstrating my points.
    And there's an example of what is wrong, and will continue to be wrong, with this thread. That certainly isn't what I believe - and you continually asserting that it is won't make it my opinion.

Well I hate to break it to you PDN but not every single comment on this thread is directed at you, particularly when another Christian poster is referenced in the post :P

Zombrex wrote: »
    Oh believe PDN I've explained at length to numerous posters that this isn't the case. As you may have discovered yourself most of the atheists on this forum do not back away from explaining and re-explaining their points as needed. Often to the growing annoyance of the theist posters who are perhaps not used to such rigorous support of a position. ;)
    That is not true. I have yet to see you offer a coherent explanation.

The morality of an action is not particular relevant. The morality comes after the physicality of the action.
    It is immoral to thrown a pot of boiling water on someone because it will burn them horribly, causing significant suffering and perhaps even death. This is a consequence of the physical rules established as part of the universe.

While it is annoying it is far from the same level of immorality of throwing a cup of luke warm water on someone. This is because such an action is largely harmless.

No, I think you are wrong. I think it is immoral to throw cold water over someone, thus causing annoyance. The degree of immorality is different - which I think reinforces my point that the real issue is not the existence of evil and suffering, but the amount and intensity of it.
    So we have a universe that, for what ever reason, God has established physical rules that make use susceptible to harm if we are exposed to water at a particular temperature.

Could he have done something different? Of course. Would this have effected free will? No, at least not more than any other restriction God has placed on us.

In this supposed universe you would not be able to burn someone to death with water of any temperature, but this would no more mean you do not have free will than not being able to burn someone to death with a glass of luke warm water does.
    Yes, because you have already switched the issue from the existence of evil and suffering to the degrees of evil and suffering. If throwing cold water over someone, or indeed any other possible action, caused them no ill effect whatsoever, then it is difficult to see how moral choices can exist.

You are making a very elementary logical mistake. I am proposing that a certain degree of bad consequences to others from our actions is necessary for free will in respect to moral choices to exist. Removing one possible consequence does not negate our free will. Therefore you jump to the illogical conclusion that if one particular bad consequence can be removed and leave us retaining free will, then every single one of them can be removed together, and still leave us with the ability to make moral choices. Do you see the big gaping hole in that logic?
    So do you feel you do not have free will because you cannot kill someone with a glass of water?

Muppets+first+movie.jpg

No, because all my moral choices have not been removed. I still have plenty of other opportunities to choose love over hate, or bravery over cowardice.
    Possibly but that isn't necessary. God can make reality any way he likes. An illusionary world is not necessary. Just a different real world with different physical properties. Free will would, as it is in this universe, be a choice between the limited options.
    No, that isn't true. God cannot make reality where self-contradictions co-exist. He cannot create a world with square circles. He cannot create a world where I exist but simultaneously have no existence. And I think there are good reasons for believing that a world without any adverse consequences to our actions, yet where we still have thre free will to make moral choices, is inherently self-contradictory.
    Well you have dropped bravery in there I see so I suspect you are gearing up for a classic shifting of the goal posts so common on this forum. So lets nip that in the bud.
    Coming from you that is classic.
    It is entirely consistent to argue that in order for bravery to exist their must be the possibility of harm, since bravery by definition is courage to continue to do something despite risk of harm. You cannot be brave if you cannot be harmed.

But since when is bravery required for free will. Right now I am in my apartment typing on a computer, there is nothing brave about anything I'm doing. Does that mean I have no free will and am not making choices? Of course not.
    I think you're confusing yourself again. There are a whole range of moral choices we can make. The fact that, at one particular point in time, you cannot exercise every single moral choice simultaneously, does not mean that each particular moral choice is not valuable.
    The problem as I would see it is that the physical nature of reality makes it relatively easy to harm others, and provides a whole host of ways to harm others.

Even if we suppose for a minute (which I don't by the way but you seem rather insistent) that in order to maintain free will God must provide some way for you to kill me. There is no reason why that way has to be easy.

Imagine if the only way to harm someone was a hugely involved complicated and different task. You could still, if you could stick it out, choose to do it. But few ever would because humans are inherently lazy.

But 'easy' is a relative term, is it not? If you had never known any other universe than this, and if the only way to kill someone was through a complicated process - you would still complain that it was easy, because you'd never lived in a universe where it was easier to kill someone.

Or, if you lived in a universe where we could kill each other by telepathy - thinking bad thoughts at each other - you might imagine our present universe and think how hard it would be to kill people.

That is not true. I have yet to see you offer a coherent explanation.

Well I can't speak to what you do or do not pay attention to PDN, but coherent explanations have been given. You can lead a horse to water, and all that jazz.
    No, I think you are wrong. I think it is immoral to throw cold water over someone, thus causing annoyance. The degree of immorality is different - which I think reinforces my point that the real issue is not the existence of evil and suffering, but the amount and intensity of it.
    Well that wasn't quite my point, but your example actually provides a good example of how harm is unnecessary.

In a universe with only harmless water, at any temp, you could have the free will to be immoral, but that immorality cannot cause harm only annoyance. A universe where the worst you can do to someone is annoy them seems preferable to a universe where you can harm someone, does it not?
    Yes, because you have already switched the issue from the existence of evil and suffering to the degrees of evil and suffering. If throwing cold water over someone, or indeed any other possible action, caused them no ill effect whatsoever, then it is difficult to see how moral choices can exist.

Well it is very difficult to argue that a cup of water thrown at you is "suffering" but if you want to be pedantic then yes, I see a universe were the only suffering is mild annoyance and a universe were there is not suffering at all to preferable to this one. The existence of neither would remove free will, and it is debatable if either would remove moral choices, simply redefine the extent of what it means to be immoral.

Either way the argument that to maintain free will and stop us all being robots God had to do this evaporates.
    You are making a very elementary logical mistake. I am proposing that a certain degree of bad consequences to others from our actions is necessary for free will in respect to moral choices to exist. Removing one possible consequence does not negate our free will. Therefore you jump to the illogical conclusion that if one particular bad consequence can be removed and leave us retaining free will, then every single one of them can be removed together, and still leave us with the ability to make moral choices. Do you see the big gaping hole in that logic?

That wasn't actually what I supposing. I'm supposing the removal of all harm and suffering (though we perhaps disagree with the level that this would be required to remove all suffering).

The point about the water, and the point I keep coming back to, is that you already live in a universe where your choices are entirely curtailed by God's design decisions. And yet you maintain free will, because ultimately free will has only ever meant choosing between the limited options God has presented you.
    No, because all my moral choices have not been removed. I still have plenty of other opportunities to choose love over hate, or bravery over cowardice.

That is not the point PDN. You can still choose to do something with the water. You can still throw it at the person, it just won't do any harm.

You do not lose the ability to throw the cup of water simply because it no longer has the ability to harm the person.

The choice still exists, thus does the freedom to choose to do it or not.
    No, that isn't true. God cannot make reality where self-contradictions co-exist. He cannot create a world with square circles. He cannot create a world where I exist but simultaneously have no existence.

There is nothing self-contradictory about what I am supposing.
    And I think there are good reasons for believing that a world without any adverse consequences to our actions, yet where we still have thre free will to make moral choices, is inherently self-contradictory.

Stop shifting the goal posts. We are discussing free will, not whether you would still have the moral choice to harm someone in a world where you can't harm anyone. That by definition would be impossible, but there is no reason to suppose that this removes free will.
    Coming from you that is classic.
    Well how classic that is can you stop doing it.
    I think you're confusing yourself again. There are a whole range of moral choices we can make. The fact that, at one particular point in time, you cannot exercise every single moral choice simultaneously, does not mean that each particular moral choice is not valuable.

How valuable it is to be able to have the choice to burn someone to death is not the issue (as I suspect you know).

The issue is whether not being able to harm anyone would remove our free will and make us all robots.

You are subtly trying to shift the conversation from the issue of free will to the issue of having moral choices to harm people.

By definition you will not have the choice to harm someone in a universe where no one can be harmed. But that does not remove free will.

If you want to argue that it is valuable to have the choice to harm people so we can choose not to, well go ahead but that is a completely different discussion.
    But 'easy' is a relative term, is it not? If you had never known any other universe than this, and if the only way to kill someone was through a complicated process - you would still complain that it was easy, because you'd never lived in a universe where it was easier to kill someone.

No, because the actions to kill someone would not be compared to what it would be like to kill someone in another universe, they would be compared to what it is like to carry out another action in this universe.

For example, it is easier for me to kill my neighbor with a knife than it is for me to pass a 4 year college degree.

Of all the tasks in human endeavor, killing someone ranks as one of the easier.

• Advertisement

Zombrex wrote: »
    Well that wasn't quite my point, but your example actually provides a good example of how harm is unnecessary.

In a universe with only harmless water, at any temp, you could have the free will to be immoral, but that immorality cannot cause harm only annoyance. A universe where the worst you can do to someone is annoy them seems preferable to a universe where you can harm someone, does it not?

It seems preferable to us - although that is far saying that it is actually better.

But you seem to have shifted ground here. Are you now agreeing that the real issue is the amount of suffering, not the actual existence of suffering?
    Well it is very difficult to argue that a cup of water thrown at you is "suffering" but if you want to be pedantic then yes, I see a universe were the only suffering is mild annoyance and a universe were there is not suffering at all to preferable to this one. The existence of neither would remove free will, and it is debatable if either would remove moral choices, simply redefine the extent of what it means to be immoral.

Either way the argument that to maintain free will and stop us all being robots God had to do this evaporates.

Same shift here. Are you now agreeing that the real issue is the amount of suffering, not the actual existence of suffering?
    The point about the water, and the point I keep coming back to, is that you already live in a universe where your choices are entirely curtailed by God's design decisions. And yet you maintain free will, because ultimately free will has only ever meant choosing between the limited options God has presented you.
    No, it is entirely reasonable that the amount of moral choices we can make are limited to some degree. For example, it would not be good for me to have the choice, by an act of my will, to condemn the entire human race (except me) to be grated and rolled in salt.

Nobody is arguing that we should have unlimited moral choices, nor do I think anyone would want that. But that is a very different thing to saying that we should therefore have no moral choices.

My own thinking is that there is a moral/free will Goldilocks Zone that makes life worth living for humanity. We avoid the extremes of unfettered freedom (which would entail unfettered suffering) and of zero freedom (which would involve no suffering). Most of us, I think, would want to be somewhere in between the two. We want there to be limits on how much suffering we can inflict on others (or, more accurately, on how much suffering they can inflict upon us) and we still want the freedom to make moral choices - to love.

This is, in some ways, similar to Leibniz' assertion that we live in a 'best possible world' - and which was lampooned so effectively by Voltaire's 'Candide'. I think the concept of a moral/free will Goldilocks Zone is less deterministic.
    That is not the point PDN. You can still choose to do something with the water. You can still throw it at the person, it just won't do any harm.

You do not lose the ability to throw the cup of water simply because it no longer has the ability to harm the person.

The choice still exists, thus does the freedom to choose to do it or not.
    That is a choice, but not a moral choice. It's a blue shirt/red shirt choice. You have removed any element of morality.
    There is nothing self-contradictory about what I am supposing.
    That all depends on what you are supposing.

I think it may well be self-contradictory if you are supposing a universe where no action has any adverse consequence, even to the slightest degree.

If you have now shifted from that position, and are supposing a universe with a lesser amount of suffering then I'm happy to talk more about what would and wouldn't be self-contradictory about that.

So maybe you could clarify which position you are advancing. This thread will get hopelessly convoluted if we are trying to discuss both simultaneously.
    Stop shifting the goal posts. We are discussing free will, not whether you would still have the moral choice to harm someone in a world where you can't harm anyone. That by definition would be impossible, but there is no reason to suppose that this removes free will.
    I'm not shifting the goal posts. All along I've been talking about making moral choices. I don't think any of us would really choose to live in a world where our only choices were of the red shirt/blue shirt variety.
    Well how classic that is can you stop doing it.
    I'm making my position perfectly clear. All I'm asking is that you decide whether you want to discuss the existence of evil and suffering per se, or the amount of evil and suffering. Clarity would be appreciated.
    How valuable it is to be able to have the choice to burn someone to death is not the issue (as I suspect you know).

The issue is whether not being able to harm anyone would remove our free will and make us all robots.

You are subtly trying to shift the conversation from the issue of free will to the issue of having moral choices to harm people.

By definition you will not have the choice to harm someone in a universe where no one can be harmed. But that does not remove free will.

If you want to argue that it is valuable to have the choice to harm people so we can choose not to, well go ahead but that is a completely different discussion.

I can't help it if you choose to misrepresent me.

I've made it clear that the free will I'm talking about is the free will to make moral decisions.

If you want to have a debate about whether a good God could create a world without suffering where we still have the choice to wear a red shirt or a blue shirt, then maybe you should find somebody who seriously argues otherwise?
    No, because the actions to kill someone would not be compared to what it would be like to kill someone in another universe, they would be compared to what it is like to carry out another action in this universe.

For example, it is easier for me to kill my neighbor with a knife than it is for me to pass a 4 year college degree.
    And it's a lot harder to kill your neighbour with a knife than it is to pick your nose.

That's why I pointed out that terms such as 'easy' are relative.
    Of all the tasks in human endeavor, killing someone ranks as one of the easier.
    That all depends on what tasks you are comparing it with. Again, that's what 'relative' means. Look it up in a dictionary if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Dimithy

How would giving that choice to the countless number of people starving today be a bad thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

This is, in some ways, similar to Leibniz' assertion that we live in a 'best possible world' - and which was lampooned so effectively by Voltaire's 'Candide'. I think the concept of a moral/free will Goldilocks Zone is less deterministic.

I was going to point out the Libnitz/ Voltaire parallel but you beat me to it. I did however suggest that we could find some wisdom in Libnitz views on the "problem of evil".

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

Please quote 1 atheist saying this.

We are told that god allows people to starve, as to intervene would interfere with free will.
    Why did this not apply with the loaves and fish?

And did't the destruction of the tower of babel interfere with our free will?

Sure try george price or william provine for example.An example of darwinist
    morality can be seen in a christopher hitchens debate when asked in a debate if he though beastiality was an imoral act and he refused to do so.

It seemsif you are a darwinist you can justify absolutly anything.

Can you anser me how did the distruction of the tower of babel interfere with our free will or the loves and fishes ?

By the way i am a catholic so i dont take the Old Testemant as being a matter of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

nickcave wrote: »
    You'd have to note a couple of things here:

Firstly, there is no centralised authority or establishment which regulates or pushes atheism to those who consider themselves 'atheist'. Nor is there a text which defines the position.

Not yet there's not but given the proper set of circumstances religion would be gotten rid of out of every arena of life should certain people with certain viewpoints ever get into power. One only needs to listen to Dawkins' to get an idea of what people with ideas like his would do if they ever got into power.
    Atheism is a scientific method, or rather the resulting position when one applies the method of skepticism to the issues that religion typically dictates on (the origin of humanity etc.). So in the first instance it is the position that you do not accept as true any proposition unless there is - at the very least - overwhelming evidence if not deductive proof of the underlying proposition.

I fail to see how much more evidence one requires in the case of the origin of life. The most basic constituents of life (amino acids) coming together in a structured and ordered way in order to make up the proteins that carry out all the many varied functions of the most basic cell. These guys aren't striving to survive. They have function and purpose and when they've completed their purpose they degrade and their basic components get reabsorbed into the body. Where's does natural selection fit into this scenario? It doesn't. If you ask me the natural selection explanation is grossly over used by atheists who don't seem to have any other game in town. Talk about God of the gaps explanations, they use a natural selection of the gaps. If you can't explain it then just use the words random mutation and natural selection and it will sound intelligible an plausible enough to stop people asking silly questions like 'how'. Talk about a science stopper. The blooming thing is SCREAMING design and astonishing design at that, and the only people who can't/won't see it are atheists.

And then we have the fine tuning of the constants and laws of the universe that were there from the very beginning of the universe. The universe is fined tuned to support life. This and the complexity and order of the cell and the structure of DNA has convinced many scientist to believe in a Creator. Why is it good enough evidence for some scientists and not others? Because for the others its not about science, its about ideology. They don't want to have to deal with a Creator so they block Him out and retreat to their comfort zone. You can't escape it though. From Cosmology to Biology His finger prints are there for all to see.
    So the only 'belief' associated with atheism is that the skeptical method is valuable. Whatever truths become accepted within that framework are those which emerge as a consensus following the work of millions of independent scientists and thinkers worldwide, without any central regulation.

I agree that we should be skeptical about all explanations but when certain phenomena cannot be explained by any other means then you go with the conclusion you would normally have when we see it in everyday life. Part of science is supposed to be about finding out how certain phenomena came about in the first place. If science is leading us to an ultimate Designer of the universe and life then science is just doing its job. Now what???
    Or at least, this is the ideal picture of non-theism. And I don't see that it can in any way be characterised as religious. To describe this as religious would be to impoverish the English language - it has none of the characteristics of religion.

If there is an ultimate Designer of the universe and life, and if using the scientific method is leading us to that conclusion, then atheism is and has been an impediment to science all along not religion. Being skeptical about explanations is fine and making sure we are right about our conclusions is good but you don't bar possible explanations at the gate because you don't like the explanation. That is not the scientific method. If its designed then its designed, what's the biggy?? Concluding that doesn't mean that you have to become a Christian unless you think you should. And even if it does, that's your own business and nothing to do with the science that brought you to it.

Science is a tool, the scientific method is a tool, atheism is not a tool and therefore not a scientific method, it is an ideology, a belief system. Saying that science can and will give us all the answers to life's big questions is engaging in scientism not science. Deifying science in this way is a departure from the scientific method and is not progress. It is a hijacking of a perfectly legitimate method to support a particular world view/belief system. If religious people did this it would quite rightly be called tyranny.

How would giving that choice to the countless number of people starving today be a bad thing?

As a one-off event, it would seem, from my less than omniscient standpoint, to be a good thing.

However, we need to consider that miracles, by their very nature, are rare events. If miracles occurred every day then the world would become a very much more unpredictable and confusing place. Remember that modern science developed, for the most part, because theists were convinced that God was a God of order who had arranged the universe to run according to regular patterns.

It seems to me that a too-frequent incidence of miracles would end up having the same effect on humanity as a parent who always bails their teenage child out of trouble and shields them from the consequences of their actions.

In fact, if you look at miracles as recorded in the New Testament, they were not generally designed to alleviate a material need temporarily, but rather to point the way to Jesus as the Saviour of the world. The miracle of the loaves and fishes was not designed to alleviate starvation in Israel, but rather to direct people's attention to Jesus as the Bread of Life.

And, when people actually turn to Jesus as the Bread of Life and start living according to His precepts and teachings, we might see the unjust socio-economic structures challenged that condemn so many people to starvation and poverty.

An example of this principle can be seen in the life of someone like Martin Luther King. I have no doubt that God could have worked a miracle, if He had chosen, to end racial segregation in the US. The fact that He used a convinced Christian like MLK to end it by less dramatic means deepens, rather than weakens, Christian faith. Like MLK our lives can really count for something special, and that IMHO is more worthwhile than living in a fluffy cotton-wool Paradise where our choices never amount to more than which colour of shirt we should wear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

And then we have the fine tuning of the constants and laws of the universe that were there from the very beginning of the universe. The universe is fined tuned to support life.

You have hit on a central philosophical principle.

It has a hard and soft version. The Anthropromorphic principle. The universe is the way it is because we are hewre.

The hard version would state the Universe is here because we exist.
    In other words the laws of physics are "designed" to such a way so as to allow human beings to evolve.

If you change any basic constants you have a very different universe - or none at all.

It is assumed in a different universe some other creature ( say a civilizations of lobsters) would evolve and wonder how it came to be that lobsters are so well suited to the universe.

But these are not scientific questions as Zombrex would contend because we can't measure anything at all about other possible universes since they don't exist and if they do we can't go into them or measure them.

The "fine tuning" argument is a weak version of the principle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

One only needs to listen to Dawkins' to get an idea of what people with ideas like his would do if they ever got into power.

Not sure what this is implying - you'll have to expand on it. What do you see a non-theistic civilisation as being like?
    I fail to see how much more evidence one requires in the case of the origin of life. The most basic constituents of life (amino acids) coming together in a structured and ordered way in order to make up the proteins that carry out all the many varied functions of the most basic cell. These guys aren't striving to survive. They have function and purpose and when they've completed their purpose they degrade and their basic components get reabsorbed into the body. Where's does natural selection fit into this scenario? It doesn't. If you ask me the natural selection explanation is grossly over used by atheists who don't seem to have any other game in town. Talk about God of the gaps explanations, they use a natural selection of the gaps. If you can't explain it then just use the words random mutation and natural selection and it will sound intelligible an plausible enough to stop people asking silly questions like 'how'. Talk about a science stopper. The blooming thing is SCREAMING design and astonishing design at that, and the only people who can't/won't see it are atheists.

You're referring to the chain of dependencies which are in place in the universe, and which support our life on Earth. On that, can I make the simplification that theists (deists actually in this case) see this long and seemingly improbable string of occurances and think that it's simply too improbable for it to have happened by chance? And therefore that it must have been designed by a supernatural being?

If I can, then let me say this: before you begin to discuss the complexity of the universe and how it seems to exist to support life, consider the sequence of events: in what order did they occur?

If you get it wrong, then your position is similar in principle to looking at this week's lottery numbers and being aghast at what the odds must have been that they came out the way they did - after they are already out.

If you're choosing n from m numbers then the odds are n/m! - pretty long odds. But after the draw the probability that the winning numbers came out is 1 - it can't be any other way.

That's all a bit silly, but your assertion that the universe is fine-tuned to support life makes exactly that mistake - it is life that is fine-tuned to exist in the universe - not the other way around. If it was the other way around, then that would certainly imply divine intervention of some kind.

If our need for oxygen to survive preceded it's existence on Earth, then that would be a sign of divinity.

If our appreciation for aesthetics preceded the existence of beautiful things on Earth, then that would be a sign of divinity.

But neither of these are the case - our faculty for aesthetic judgement developed long after the existence of beautiful things on Earth - what else would we wonder at?

The example of amino-acid behaviour is key - does life's requirement for it precede the fact or have amino-acids been behaving that way before life ever existed? It is the latter.

The key principle when discussing the complexity of the universe is that - in the chain of dependencies - the last link has already happened, and the next one doesn't matter yet.
    The blooming thing is SCREAMING design and astonishing design at that, and the only people who can't/won't see it are atheists.

Atheists - and the overwhelming majority of scientists who are experts in this field.
    If there is an ultimate Designer of the universe and life, and if using the scientific method is leading us to that conclusion, then atheism is and has been an impediment to science all along not religion.

That certainly would be the case if the scientific method did the things you say, yes. But it doesn't - again, the overwhelming majority of professional scientists do not believe in a supernatural creator as you do. So how can the scientific method do the things you think it does?
    atheism is not a tool and therefore not a scientific method, it is an ideology, a belief system.

My original post (which you've quoted) already says this but it really is not a belief system at all - is is the resultant position when one applies the skeptical method to the idea of supernatural creators. The only belief is in the value of skepticism, but you've already said you can support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Not yet there's not but given the proper set of circumstances religion would be gotten rid of out of every arena of life should certain people with certain viewpoints ever get into power. One only needs to listen to Dawkins' to get an idea of what people with ideas like his would do if they ever got into power.
    I don't see how that would be a bad thing.

Unfortunately I know very little about biology and natural selection but if your grasp of physics is anything to go by I see no reason to take anything you might have to say on the subject seriously. What I do know is that life on earth started some 3.8 billion years ago and that's an awfully long period of time for many varied types of complex life to evolve. I'll freely admit that we probably don't know everything about every single cell or microbe that has ever come into existence but that's no reason to believe there is some supernatural force behind it all, it just means we don't understand it yet. Speaking personally I see nothing in nature that even hints at design let alone screams it.
    And then we have the fine tuning of the constants and laws of the universe that were there from the very beginning of the universe. The universe is fined tuned to support life. This and the complexity and order of the cell and the structure of DNA has convinced many scientist to believe in a Creator. Why is it good enough evidence for some scientists and not others? Because for the others its not about science, its about ideology. They don't want to have to deal with a Creator so they block Him out and retreat to their comfort zone. You can't escape it though. From Cosmology to Biology His finger prints are there for all to see.
    Who said the constants were fine tuned? Just because we happen to live in a universe that has physical laws that allow for our particular form of life doesn't mean they have to be fine tuned in any way. Think about it for a minute where else could we be other than in this universe? It's called the anthropic principle. There are many theories out there about the nature of the universe; ranging from the multiverse theory which states that there are many many universes, most probably incompatible with life but many that are (one of which we happen to be in), to the bang crunch theory which states that the universe has been in a constant state of big bang and big crunch with many instances of the universe existing one of which we happen to live in (this one is increasingly unlikely as it now looks like our universe is not going to contract again), to the idea that the physical laws have to be the way they are for reasons yet unknown - yet unknown is not a reason to jump in and say it must be god by the way, it's just as simple as the sentence suggests unknown.

I agree that we should be skeptical about all explanations but when certain phenomena cannot be explained by any other means then you go with the conclusion you would normally have when we see it in everyday life. Part of science is supposed to be about finding out how certain phenomena came about in the first place. If science is leading us to an ultimate Designer of the universe and life then science is just doing its job. Now what???
    That is in my opinion a very dangerous way to think. If the scientists of the world throughout history thought that way then there would be no science. We would believe the world is flat, the earth is at the centre of the universe, and mankind came into existence only a few thousand years ago.

If certain things about our world are unknown then it's sciences job to find out the truth behind them not just give up and say "well I can't figure this one out so it must be god then", or "this looks like it's been designed, tell you what we won't bother looking into it any more and lets just say god did it". Things that are mysterious or unknown need to be understood and science can never -ever- come to the conclusion that there is an invisible, untouchable, all knowing, all seeing, other realm god behind anything it currently doesn't understand because by the very nature of it's description it cannot be proven or even hinted at. In other words you cannot prove one unknown thing by saying something you have absolutely no knowledge about whatsoever did it; it's just nonsense.

If there is an ultimate Designer of the universe and life, and if using the scientific method is leading us to that conclusion, then atheism is and has been an impediment to science all along not religion. Being skeptical about explanations is fine and making sure we are right about our conclusions is good but you don't bar possible explanations at the gate because you don't like the explanation. That is not the scientific method. If its designed then its designed, what's the biggy?? Concluding that doesn't mean that you have to become a Christian unless you think you should. And even if it does, that's your own business and nothing to do with the science that brought you to it.
    What are you talking about? Can you show me one scientific experiment anywhere that lead to a conclusion that god was responsible for something? Just one?
    Science is a tool, the scientific method is a tool, atheism is not a tool and therefore not a scientific method, it is an ideology, a belief system. Saying that science can and will give us all the answers to life's big questions is engaging in scientism not science. Deifying science in this way is a departure from the scientific method and is not progress. It is a hijacking of a perfectly legitimate method to support a particular world view/belief system. If religious people did this it would quite rightly be called tyranny.
    Again you appear to be suggesting that science should just give up and say well I don't know it must be god. This is not science it is nonsense. I'll say it again - it is not possible for science (real science not that creationist drivel) to derive a god conclusion to anything because there is no proof (actual proof not he said she said proof or "ooh look at that isn't it pretty it must be god" kind of proof) for the existence of god and to come to a conclusion based on no proof is unscientific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

So if god were to perhaps send a little rain towards the worst affected areas of drought, encourage the crops to grow just a little bit better and maybe keep some disease infested waters a little cleaner it would take away from the free will of the impoverished people?

Jesus feed some hungry people back then, but God can't do it now because maybe the African people don't want more food. Is that actually what you're saying?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement