Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland & Barretts

Options
  • 23-05-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, I'm 18 and am graduating from Secondary school this week and doing my Leaving cert in a few weeks, I would love to work in holland & barretts or somewhere similar to that, my passion is bodybuilding and nutrition. I'm stuck deciding what I want to do, I do not want to go to college because apart from the fact that theres nothing there I want to do, I don't believe in spending four years of your life spending 10 or 20 grand every year just for a degree in which there are no jobs for in this country. I would also enjoy working with supplements and people with physical injuries and so forth, could anyone with knowledge involving working with Holland & Barrett's or a similar place, please share your information with me. I would also like to go onto own my own gym or nutrition store later on.. :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

maybe study nutrition , tbh you need to if you rate H & B's stuff as decent, there are also pleant of sports related courses out there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've a friend who just finished a nutrition course (can't remember the exact name of the course), and from what he's told me, I'd be quite surprised if you didn't need to go to college to be able to become an expert in the field.

apart from the fact that theres nothing there I want to do, I don't believe in spending four years of your life spending 10 or 20 grand every year just for a degree in which there are no jobs for in this country.

Well I know it wasn't really the point of your OP, but are you sure you've considered college properly? I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone should go to college, but you seem to have misunderstood the situation. I go to college and I don't spend 10 or 20 grand every year. I spend basically nothing, just as much as I want for lunch on days I'm not bothered bringing it in with me. If you're an Irish citizen, you only have to pay 1500-2000 euro each year, and it's only if you can afford it. I don't pay anything at all, as I'm entitled to have all fees covered plus I get a grant of €1300 to pay for transport etc. It's really not going to be expensive if you can't afford it.

As for saying there's nothing you want to do, that's not true! You said you want to be involved in health/nutrition/fitness. That is something to do. You have a far better chance with a degree, of learning about nutrition and being believed and qualified to talk about it and advise people. You could even do physiotherapy or physiology, learning about how to stay in shape and how the body metabolises nutrients.

I'm not saying you should go to college, just that you shouldn't rule it out as being expensive and useless. I didn't hear back yet from any of the local businesses I sent CVs to for this summer, so I'm going to be handing them out in town when I'm finished my exams, and my first stops will be health food stores, followed by book stores. I'd say I'll have a far better chance getting a job in a health food store when I tell them about my metabolism studies than I would if I didn't use my college experience to my advantage.

Advertisement