Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork roads are currently in the worst condition I can remember

Options
  • 23-05-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think the roads have ever been so bad for potholes, and shoddy repairs. The Well Road in Douglas now has 4 trenchs on each side of the road sunk in so deep, and repaired so poorly that cars have no option but to hit them hard, and end up either with buckled wheels, or tracking issues.

Turning left at Union Quay head coming from the Anglesea Street direction heading towards Georges Quay is like driving across the surface of the moon.

The mini roundabout at the end of College road heading for Dennehy's Cross has potholes so large, you can't go anything more than 5mph less your car get damaged/punctured.

The fault is obviously not on one party or another, but it must be down to poorly constructed roads to begin with, and down to the various repair crews of Bord Gais/ESB/Eircom who don't know how to carry out a road repair in the first place.

What does everyone else think? With the high price of motor tax, fuel, insurance and repairs, is it too much to ask that the roads we drive on in Cork are even relatively smooth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

A neighbour of mine was recently killed in a single vehicle motorcycle accident on a stretch of road nearby where we live. This stretch of road has a trench about 5 cm deep and 5 cm wide in the middle of it appear recently. The groove is angled toward the oncoming lane. This is lethal (and I mean deadly - no exaggeration needed) to motorcyclists or indeed cyclists as if your wheel gets stuck in it at any speed as it will throw you into the oncoming lane, or make you lose balance and fall into the oncoming lane. This appears to have happened to my neighbour as the bike careened across the road and hit a pole at the other side.

So yes I agree with you - whatever about tracking or damaged alloys this should be the least of your worries.

And as to why we pay road tax - well it's in order to bail out French and German banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'd 100% agree, I'm living Frankfield area, and currently the grange hill is like driving on the surface of the moon, I'm not sure what's worse though, the poorly repaired pot holes, I use the term repaired very loosely here or the ones they don't even bother with. It's so frustrating, tax is soooo expensive here and the CC just don't give a sh1t as long as patrick st. and the grand parade is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I agree the roads are in ****e...I drive a vintage car fine suspension isnt great anywho but between travelling to work and travelling out the Rochestown road I wouldnt be surprised if the engine was knocked out of the car at some stage, its mad.... What do you do then about it, I dont feel have as bad becuase my road tax is less than 50euro but it must kill you if you pay high road tax to be driving on these roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I concur, it really is a disgrace. I only dread the winter when it will be even worse. Its a combination of poor workmanship I think, but mainly its down to the fact that the coffers are bare and will be until January 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'd 100% agree, I'm living Frankfield area, and currently the grange hill is like driving on the surface of the moon, I'm not sure what's worse though, the poorly repaired pot holes, I use the term repaired very loosely here or the ones they don't even bother with. It's so frustrating, tax is soooo expensive here and the CC just don't give a sh1t as long as patrick st. and the grand parade is fine.

If you live in Frankfield then I believe you're living in the county not the city, So blame the county council instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

If you live in Frankfield then I believe you're living in the county not the city, So blame the county council instead.

they could've meant County Council by CC

they could've meant County Council by CC

Doubt it.
    CC just don't give a sh1t as long as patrick st. and the grand parade is fine.

Now why would the county council give a **** about Patrick St & Grand parade :pac:.

Now why would the county council give a **** about Patrick St & Grand parade :pac:.

CC was ment to mean county council.....:rolleyes:, and I'm pretty sure if I were living in the city I'd still be in Cork county, have you got anything on topic to post per chance?

CC was ment to mean county council.....:rolleyes:, and I'm pretty sure if I were living in the city I'd still be in Cork county, have you got anything on topic to post per chance?

FYI there are two seperate councils in the 'county' of Cork, which only exists as an entity in GAA terms.

Cork city council who're responsible for roads maintenance in the city - this means Patrick St. & Grand parade - and Cork county council who're responsible for roads in the county - this means around Grange and Frankfield. They don't have reponsibility for the city centre roads like your post originally claimed.

Y'see i am bringing something to this thread, namely correcting your factually inaccurate whinging:).

Back on topic - roads are great around my place, they've got all got a complete resurfacing over the past several months. Smooth driving for all, thank you Cork county council!.

FYI there are two seperate councils in the 'county' of Cork, which only exists as an entity in GAA terms.

Cork city council who're responsible for roads maintenance in the city - this means Patrick St. & Grand parade - and Cork county council who're responsible for roads in the county - this means around Grange and Frankfield. They don't have reponsibility for the city centre roads like your post originally claimed.

Y'see i am bringing something to this thread, namely correcting your factually inaccurate whinging:).

Back on topic - roads are great around my place, they've got all got a complete resurfacing over the past several months. Smooth driving for all, thank you Cork county council!.

Congratulations on putting me back in my place :P seems like you're just trying to derail the and bring an argument to the thread...but what ever floats your boat, I never intended you offend you with my ignorance, as far as I'm concerned it's all the same - unless all the men capable of laying roads are only allowed work for the city council? I gotta pay the tax reguardless I would expect roads that I can drive on without causing damage to my car, your local roads may be fine but from my experience the vast majority of roads in cork at the moment are, well pretty much as bad as I've ever seen them, surely it can't be saving them money to be out repairing the same giant potholes 7-8 times.
    You don't work for the council per chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I concur, i've just moved down from westmeath and i'm utterly amazed at the state of the roads, the midlands are roads of velvet silk in comparison! i was viewing spots around douglas/mahon and i thought my poor old car wouldnt take the abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Milly33 wrote: »
    I agree the roads are in ****e...I drive a vintage car fine suspension isnt great anywho but between travelling to work and travelling out the Rochestown road I wouldnt be surprised if the engine was knocked out of the car at some stage, its mad.... What do you do then about it, I dont feel have as bad becuase my road tax is less than 50euro but it must kill you if you pay high road tax to be driving on these roads

Well FINALLY the Rochestown Road is getting resurfaced...about bloody time. Work started on Monday and will be continuing for the next 2 weeks.

Now if they would only head up to the Garryduff area after they are done and fix that disaster of a road it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    Well FINALLY the Rochestown Road is getting resurfaced...about bloody time. Work started on Monday and will be continuing for the next 2 weeks.

Now if they would only head up to the Garryduff area after they are done and fix that disaster of a road it would be great.

ah Garryduff isn't a priority, sure the residents up there should manage in their off-road vehicles;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

At least they are finally working on some of the worse stretches the N72 now. They were supposed to do this 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The Well Road in Douglas now has 4 trenchs on each side of the road sunk in so deep, and repaired so poorly that cars have no option but to hit them hard, and end up either with buckled wheels, or tracking issues.

These are the result of private work to access services that has not been made-good by the householder's builder. Don't they have a duty according to bye-laws? Cannot the council force them to repair the damage at the householder's expense?

The potholes and in the centre of the road catches the car-drivers and at the kerb-side a giant hump of tarmac which hasn't settled catches the cyclists.

And there's another teeth-jarring hump around the corner on the Douglas road that catches me out everytime as I'm whizzing merrily downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Try cycling up towards Dennehy's Cross from the direction of the old greyhound track. The road is a fúckin nightmare for potholes. This is CORK CITY COUNCIL'S remit but I always knew they were a bunch of fúckin wasters. It took their workmen about two weeks to fix a minor repair on a road close to where I live a couple of years back. A private contractor would've had it done in half a day. They spent most of their time leaning on their shovels, drinking tea and chatting. Tossers. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

They spent most of their time breastfeeding their shovels

FYP and that sounds fairly typical of them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Needler wrote: »
    FYP and that sounds fairly typical of them

I can't argue with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ludo wrote: »

I was so happy when I saw this, Im sick of me poor wagen been shook around the place driven over the bumps... I didnt realsie how bad Garryduff was until I bypassed the traffic on the lower road jes tis fairly shocking now too and why oh why did they put those daft pedestrian crossing lights at the tip of the hill, they really must have brought too many lights and plonked them in random places

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

A private contractor would've had it done in half a day. They spent most of their time leaning on their shovels, drinking tea and chatting. Tossers. :mad:

Whelan's resurfaced the Rochestown Road a few years ago and it was potholed within a month. They've gone bust since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Although it damages the car, the main point I think is it's a safety issue, sometimes you have to take the wrong approach to a corner because of the road surfaces.
    Does a lot of the roads not come the National Road Authority? and not the CC.
    They are also going to be checking our suspension every year with the new NCT regulations

Driving by the social welfare office yesterday and nearly lost the car in a series of sinkholes in the road just as you come over the bridge. Worst potholes I've seen in the city by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Phalanx31

Can I ask (as I haven't been in Rochestown lately) where exactly does the resurfacing begin and end? Is it from the finger post roundabout to the church in Rochestown? The finger post roundabout is a disgrace. You can't even admire the lovely work they do with the flowers on the roundabout itself as your car is shaking so much!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I recall nearly turning myself in a eunuch on my bike when I went over that pot hole at the crossroads next to Dunnes in Ballyvolane almost half a year ago. They did fill that up but the stretch of road between Tivoli and the Dunkettle roundabout is still really bad.

It's from the ice the previous winter though. The last two or three winters have been so bad the roads were wrecked by heavy trucks and the ice. Not exactly anyone could be blamed for it to be honest considering how severe the cold was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Phalanx31 wrote: »
    Can I ask (as I haven't been in Rochestown lately) where exactly does the resurfacing begin and end? Is it from the finger post roundabout to the church in Rochestown? The finger post roundabout is a disgrace. You can't even admire the lovely work they do with the flowers on the roundabout itself as your car is shaking so much!:o

the works start just past the Finger Post roundabout (but doesn't include it), just by Rochestown Park Hotel and it ends just at the slip road joining the South Ring...basically the area were the money is in Rochestown...FG thanking their loyal voters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Did they only surface the side of the road with the money or did they throw a bone to the riff raff by doing both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Why do they fix the potholes with butter tarmac and not the real kind that lasts. Case in point: Togher road. Potholes 'fixed' last year and now it's already gone. Making it even worse.

Cork CC: don't fix potholes with butter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

professore wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine was recently killed in a single vehicle motorcycle accident on a stretch of road nearby where we live. This stretch of road has a trench about 5 cm deep and 5 cm wide in the middle of it appear recently. The groove is angled toward the oncoming lane. This is lethal (and I mean deadly - no exaggeration needed) to motorcyclists or indeed cyclists as if your wheel gets stuck in it at any speed as it will throw you into the oncoming lane, or make you lose balance and fall into the oncoming lane. This appears to have happened to my neighbour as the bike careened across the road and hit a pole at the other side.

So yes I agree with you - whatever about tracking or damaged alloys this should be the least of your worries.

And as to why we pay road tax - well it's in order to bail out French and German banks.

I live near there myself, That was a nasty accident I only meet the poor chap once althoughI know his brother.

Advertisement