Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell is up with the weather!

• 23-05-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

So who is looking forward to cycling home into that headwind. :p you got it lucky around 8.30 am it was driving rain too!
    Probably a good Idea to try avoid areas with trees and to wear your oakleys, theres alot of stuff flying around.
    Also all the Quays are closed off to traffic ATM thats about the extent of it on the Northside so try to avoid here, the Garda aint letting anything past. You can get down o connel street however. Ive no Idea on the Southside, couldnt get over even if I wanted to!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kona wrote: »
    So who is looking forward to cycling home into that headwind.

I knew I'd be in trouble when pedalling a relaxed 50kmph at the back of the airport. :(

I also got caught out in a massive shower on the way over, and the only reason I didn't turn back was that I'd be heading directly into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I am not even going to take the motorbike out in that, I have hit enough branches and for sale signs to know that that is car weather. The turbo trainer is looking good......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

WHEN is the wind going to die down?....this is week 4 of strong winds. Phoenix Park was closed this morning so went down Knockmaroon and along Chapelizod Road/Conyngham Road...must have been pushing 50/60kph. NOT looking forward to the return journey.

Was laughing at all the barriers getting blown down on Parkgate Street, very lucky there was no traffic at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fletch wrote: »
    WHEN is the wind going to die down?....this is week 4 of strong winds. Phoenix Park was closed this morning so went down Knockmaroon and along Chapelizod Road/Conyngham Road...must have been pushing 50/60kph. NOT looking forward to the return journey.

Went the opposite direction yesterday morning and up Knockmaroon, was telling myself all the way that it was doing me good. However the driving rain into my face wasn't so beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I was a big girls blouse this morning, when I looked out the bedroom window and saw the horizontal rain I decided to drive to work. Usually when I do that I regret it during the day, but not today those gusts look like they would be a nightmare to handle a bike in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

Luckily got out before the big gusts and rain came at 8/8.30 this morning. Has anyone any clue whether this is an uncommon sequence of weather? Winds seem very high past few weeks.

I'm a little short of a reference point as having recently moved out towards Clontarf, I'm wondering is just more susceptible to high winds than my previous location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You guys need to HTFU

Came in this morning on the bike and I'm not cycling home. Hammering away in the atrocious head wind was bad enough but the forecast suggests the wind will be strengthening and shifting around to the west, creating a crosswind for me that would push me into traffic - I'd rather go home on a bus than under one:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

power outages, blocked roads, branches everywhere (90km/h gusts) i drove in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

My commute home is a quick n easy 4km so I'll be hitting the headwind with a smile on my face since it adds of a bit craic to my route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm looking forward to heading out the Clontarf track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This will be the day I finally overtake a scooter. Was locked in battle last week but lost. I think I'll wait around for one to come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Couple of large trees were knocked down on the main road, I think I'll stay at home for today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

perhaps not the best day for bringing the single speed to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

The brutal headwind on my short commute this morning cleared out what was left of the Cardiff fuzz. Looking forward to sailing home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Got 175km from Kilrush to Castleisland tomorrow, if the wind keeps going like it is it's gonna be some flog from Limerick onwards.

Stupid scairbhin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Fair play to all that took your bikes out this morning,i walked in and I was walking faster than some poor guy trying to pedal up cork street on a cheap full sus' with flat tyres! Be safe on the way home now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Got 175km from Kilrush to Castleisland tomorrow, if the wind keeps going like it is it's gonna be some flog from Limerick onwards.

Stupid scairbhin...

Might I suggest this. I won't tell anyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had about 6k of it this morning, about half into a headwind, which was plenty for me. Turning into a gusty side wind was a nightmare, having to drop gears going downhill was just funny. Looks much better tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Spent about 2 hours getting sick on the ferry this morning getting back from cardiff. seriously bloody rough. head is still spinning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Attempted to go up Howth head today. Hit about 55kmph on the Clontarf track. Turned at Sutton's cross and almost got blown under a bus so decided to do a u-turn and head back into the headwind.

Was a good work out but slightly dangerous with branches and other debris bouncing off my helmet at various stages. Had to stop at a bus shelter when what could be described as a squall rolled in.

In retrospect, I should've stayed at home, too risky as opposed to too hard. There's HTFU and there's COPON.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm chickening out and leaving the bike in work tonight. It was dodgy enough with a tail wind this morning but it seems stronger now. Just have to plot a route away from College Green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hope everybody got home okay, Top gear all the way home for me, effortless, some contrast to this morning!

Id say the cycle track in clontarf is great craic heading away from town alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

CheGuedara wrote: »

Stupid scairbhin...

Best of luck Che. Get low, stay low, bite those bars.
    If I could give you two words of advice, they would be WHEEL SUCK.

Job done. Slowed down when I saw a scooter behind me on the Nangor Road. It wasn't even vaguely difficult getting back and staying ahead. I even changed my intended route when I saw he was going a slightly different direction. It was an awfully crap scooter and I don't feel very proud.

I need a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Job done. Slowed down when I saw a scooter behind me on the Nangor Road. It wasn't even vaguely difficult getting back and staying ahead. I even changed my intended route when I saw he was going a slightly different direction. It was an awfully crap scooter and I don't feel very proud.

I need a life.
    A bit confused were you!
    6a00d834b8785b69e2011570d2d0d7970c-800wi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I need a life.

haha Winning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

kona wrote: »
    What the hell is up with the weather!

Isn't that obvious?

It's Rás time!

That would have been no fun at all. My electric razor puts out more horsepower than the scooter in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yer man in NZ who predicts the weather reckons our present weather is also likely to persist throughout June.

So there goes any hope whatsoever I have of getting remotely fit.

• Advertisement

Its honestly not that bad. The rain never falls for more than a few minutes at a time and its generally warm. The wind wasn't that terrible this morning or this evening. In Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Yer man in NZ who predicts the weather reckons our present weather is also likely to persist throughout June.

So there goes any hope whatsoever I have of getting remotely fit.
    Ken Ring, is it?

I'm not a meteorologist, but I'm reasonably sure that all claims to predict weather more than a week in advance can be discounted. You may find times when such predictions match what subsequently happens, but if you adjust for hindsight bias, I'm pretty sure the predictions are close to worthless.

So don't be despondent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hasn't he been proven wrong, discredited maybe, by folks over in the weather forum ?

Advertisement