Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Brooker: Gaming makes Hollywood look embarrassing.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think when most people praise Heavy Rains storytelling, they dont actually mean the story itself (which, while interesting, had some serious loopholes) or the acting, they mean the way the story was presented in a gaming context, the way that so many aspects of the story could be interacted with and effect the ending, that despite being 4 or 5 times longer than a movie, you could be kept involved in the story to the same extent as if it where only 100 mins long. It showed that level of storytelling could be achieved in video games (now all we need is better stories to tell :)).

I'm not even sure the gameplay in Heavy Rain should be praised either. It was basically Dragons Lair with branching paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not even sure the gameplay in Heavy Rain should be praised either. It was basically Dragons Lair with branching paths.

Some of it I did find needlessly awkward, but there where a few scenes where the gameplay came together with the story quite well (
    the lizard? challenge, where the main character had to cut off his finger was well done, I was cringing the whole through, and each extra step or movement requirement to set up the cut added to the dread
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

The technology and design of LA Noire and Heavy Rain show that story-telling in videogames can rub shoulders with Hollywood (and Cannes). Unfortunately, it falls down in key areas, specifically in the quality of writing and acting.

I believe that the plots and dialogue of both of those games were largely written by game designers, not professional screenwriters, and it shows......'

I've always thought this. Especially with GTA IV. They tried to write something that was original but it was out of their depth and reeked of them wanting to be taken seriously. They should stick to the more zaney writing of Vice City and San Andreas.

I'd love to see David Simon (The Wire) or David Chase (The Sopranos) write something for GTA or some game similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah GTA4 stunk of someone trying too hard and just didn't have the talent. However playing Red Dead Redemption at the moment and while not perfect is far better than GTA4 in the writing stakes. However I think that's more to the credit of the other 2 writers and not Dan Houser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Oh and for what its worth, i thought 2001 was a boring pile of ****e

HAHA, me too... watched it a few years ago, nearly fell asleep..... I guess its an ole man thing.

Lord of the Rings would have been a much better example to use as its sort of comparable to alot of the great games that have been released over the last few years.

For me... there are far more games that just completely suck me in, compared to films. Hopefully The Last Guardian can take the story telling and emotional attachment to the next level in video games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Magill wrote: »
    I guess its an ole man thing.

*raised eyebrow*

As someone who has adored 2001 since I first saw it in my teens, I'm always a bit bemused by the 2001 is boring comments - slow isn't necessary boring. I guess it's more of a film-lovers film though - its strengths of pacing, cinematography, music and narrative ambiguity I'll readily admit aren't what everyone looks for in a film. And yet I have had few cinema experiences as memorable as seeing the glories of 2001: A Space Odyssey on a big screen.

Oh, we're meant to be talking about games, right? Well, blame Mr. Brooker for bringing up what is - in my opinion as both a film and gaming fanatic - a quite frankly ludicrous comparison. Is Portal 2 the equivalent of 2001? Maybe: they both certainly have a mastery of their respective medium. Yet I still don't think there's any point in comparing the two - I still think we're lacking anything gamewise to equal the scope and themes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Luckily, we have a number of games that are astonishingly accomplished in terms of gameplay to keep us going.

System Shock 2 explores the same themes of 2001 and is better because it has Shodan :p

I love 2001 myself although I don't think there's as much going on in it as some people think. I suppose it's the way those themes are presented and discussed and the visuals used that make it special. Still I think there's a few games out there with that depth. Silent Hill 2 being one although, I'm not sure it's a good example since a lot of what it presents doesn't really use the videogame medium. What I'm trying to say is that it would probably work just as well on film.

I think earthbound offers a lot of depth and the exploration of a complex theme. It also does so visually and aurally. Earthbound isn't a game you can really get until you beat it and wouldn't work outside of the videogame medium.

As for System Shock 2 well that was a joke. It owes far far too much to 2001 to really be comparable. Still I think it adds it's own themes to the narrative and again utilises the medium ofvideogames very well.

Anyway that's all up for argument and it's hard to compare two very different mediums. Anyway it took a long time for cinema to create a masterpiece like 2001 and even in cinema there's maybe a handful of films of that calibre. Videogames have a lot further to go and to give to their audience.

As for Hollywood. I watched Knight and Day the other night and I can say with my hand to my heart that I would much rather have been playing red dead redemption that watching that ****e.

*raised eyebrow*

As someone who has adored 2001 since I first saw it in my teens, I'm always a bit bemused by the 2001 is boring comments - slow isn't necessary boring. I guess it's more of a film-lovers film though - its strengths of pacing, cinematography, music and narrative ambiguity I'll readily admit aren't what everyone looks for in a film. And yet I have had few cinema experiences as memorable as seeing the glories of 2001: A Space Odyssey on a big screen.

Oh, we're meant to be talking about games, right? Well, blame Mr. Brooker for bringing up what is - in my opinion as both a film and gaming fanatic - a quite frankly ludicrous comparison. Is Portal 2 the equivalent of 2001? Maybe: they both certainly have a mastery of their respective medium. Yet I still don't think there's any point in comparing the two - I still think we're lacking anything gamewise to equal the scope and themes of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Luckily, we have a number of games that are astonishingly accomplished in terms of gameplay to keep us going.

I guess it depends what your comparing.. the whole package in a game like portal is, for me, a better experience than what any film can offer. It is pointless comparing the two because unlike film, there are just so many other aspects to gaming that you can't put on the big screen.

It was just hard for me to be impressed by 2001 since i only watched it a couple of years ago... It didn't have the WoW factor that maybe it would have had if i watched it 15 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love 2001 myself although I don't think there's as much going on in it as some people think. I suppose it's the way those themes are presented and discussed and the visuals used that make it special. Still I think there's a few games out there with that depth. Silent Hill 2 being one although, I'm not sure it's a good example since a lot of what it presents doesn't really use the videogame medium. What I'm trying to say is that it would probably work just as well on film.

Well Silent Hill is a good example in one way - they have made a film that did a pretty damn good job of emulating the atmosphere of the game. However, it also had a much weaker story, so yes there are plenty of stories better suited to games.

As for 2001, it's only been used as an example because Mr. Brooker brought it up in the first place. It's a brilliant film, but hardly the first to achieve something uniquely and beautifully cinematic: you had Eisenstein, Lang, Welles, Bergman, Ozu, Kurosawa, Wilder and many many others who had made ageless cinema before Kubrick (hell, 2001 wasn't even Kubrick's first masterpiece!). I'd say there's more than a handful that have achieved something equally special - hell, there's a small tonne out there. But they're all arbitrary comparisons, although I think the point that very few games have tackled big themes with anywhere near the confidence of cinema is worth calling out. Speaking of arbitrary comparisons...
    As for Hollywood. I watched Knight and Day the other night and I can say with my hand to my heart that I would much rather have been playing red dead redemption that watching that ****e.

That's like comparing a bag of dog **** to a delicious bowl of ramen (not the same thing, contrary to popular belief) :pac: And yet RDR's messy narrative (barring the excellent ending) shows that in storytelling terms the Leone Westerns or the Coens' True Grit are considerably ahead of gaming. That RDR, though, often has an atmosphere and world to match those stellar examples is something Rockstar can most certainly be proud of.
    Magill wrote:
    It was just hard for me to be impressed by 2001 since i only watched it a couple of years ago

Well I'm only in my early twenties so can't agree with that argument :pac: I accept you don't like it though, you're hardly alone. And I agree Portal 2 offers an astonishingly unique experience, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Still, when I find a game with the emotional punch and depth of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'll be a happy camper :)

OK I agree with most of that.

I think a big problem for games is that if you want to be clever and present interesting themes and do something different prepare to sell 10,000 copies and ruin the developer. Nobody wants to take chances and neither does Hollywood. It's why I think that the most interesting stuff we see will be in the PC indie games with the very odd game like Silent Hill 2 or Shadow of the Colossus slipping through the cracks. Another problem is that most lead game designers really aren't storytellers and there's only a rare few thatcan pull off both. Maybe someday videogames will attract some genuinely good writers and not good but not exceptional hollywood writers and things will change. Until we'll have to rely on the few thatcan pull it off like Ken Levine. As far as I know I have no Mouth but I Must Scream and the Mother/Earthbound games are the only two that spring to mind that actually had some truly genius writers attracted to making a game and in the case of Mother/earthbound was instigated by the writer wanting to do a game.

As for my last comment, well it was a bit tongue in cheek. And playing RDR really does make me want to watch some better westerns:)

• Advertisement

The best thing about RDR was how it encouraged me to pick up a Sergio Leone boxset :P

I'm doing some treasure hunting missions and it makes me want to watch Treasure of Sierra Madre again. Now there's a deep western How Humphrey Bogart didn't get an Oscar for that is beyond me.

Well I'm only in my early twenties so can't agree with that argument :pac: I accept you don't like it though, you're hardly alone. And I agree Portal 2 offers an astonishingly unique experience, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Still, when I find a game with the emotional punch and depth of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'll be a happy camper :)

Oh god :D

Still, when I find a game with the emotional punch and depth of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'll be a happy camper :)

Play earthbound and mother 3 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

games need more bewbs, no seriously!

Anyone that doesn't think the jiggly physics of the dead or alive games are less interesting than 2001 a space odyssey needs to examine their sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

Magill wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings would have been a much better example to use as its sort of comparable to alot of the great games that have been released over the last few years.

Maybe but the context was the pinnacle of cinema, something that 2001 is even if its not to some peoples taste or comprehension where as lord of the rings is not.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the LOTOR films were excellent and brooker would have done better to compare gaming story telling to those films as imo gaming is a long way away from reaching the levels of 2001 or Apocalypse now etc. But I feel its only a matter of time.

(I did enjoy the KOTOR series more than the new star wars movies that's for sure.)

I find it ironic though how he mentions the decline in cinema quality, hollywood etc The more expensive the movies become to make the less risk people are willing to take on something as bold as said films that would 'bore' the average joe soap. I say this because I'm seeing the same thing with gaming. The current gen consoles and so on. I'm enjoying LA Noire but its no where near how good it could be if these worries were not present and if it was released on PC instead for example, but that was never going to happen. It was a console game so it was only ever going to scratch at its full potential.

However I think it has opened the door to a lot of things and it is certainly a mile stone. Devs need to work out how to mix top gameplay with high quality writing that really can rival the greats, and take a risk if we're going to see any one big leap. But the way the industry works these days its all still baby steps.

Couldn't agree more.
    System Shock 2 explores the same themes of 2001 and is better because it has Shodan

As for System Shock 2 well that was a joke. It owes far far too much to 2001 to really be comparable. Still I think it adds it's own themes to the narrative and again utilises the medium ofvideogames very well.

One of my biggest regrets in my time as a gamer was missing out on this game. In fact I ordered it with my 1st gaming pc (you had a choice of free games ) but it never came with it (was sold out) can't remember what ****ty game I got instead.

At the time ignorant me knew nothing of how excellent the game was supposed to be, was only about 6 years later I started to become aware of what I missed out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

every game doesn't have to be up there with Shakespeare but there is a slow progression to what we do see up on the big screen
    take the different genres, we have the Uncharted games which can stand up against the Indiana Jones films (especially surpass no.4)
    The Bioshock/System Shock games are great stories which Hollywood hasn't really touched on too much maybe except perhaps 2001 ;)
    The Max Payne games are a great nod back to the film noir genre
    and Donkey Kong was a great romanctic adventure where plumber meets Princess, plumber falls in love with Princess, Princess capured by giant gorilla, Plumber jumps over barrels and eventually defeats the gorilla in order save his love
    it's the classic story on a par with Casablanca

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

when I find a game with the emotional punch and depth of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind I'll be a happy camper :)

I think Limbo might come awful close to the former, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Randomer.

Skerries wrote: »
    every game doesn't have to be up there with Shakespeare but there is a slow progression to what we do see up on the big screen

Of course I agree. Gaming, or 'video gaming' can go anywhere from rivalling non virtual forms of entertainment such as boardgames, puzzle games, chess and the likes all the way up novels and big movies, hell even sport.

Something non gamers find hard to understand. As a form of entertainment, the term video games encompasses such a wide variety how it is we are entertained and challenged.

• Advertisement

I think Limbo might come awful close to the former, at least.

Limbo shows the one thing games do astoundingly well: atmosphere. In terms of story and themes, I'd probably put it a wee bit behind Braid and Flower, but it's definitely the sort of game that's on the right track: something uniquely interactive.

There are a few art games out there that do marry big themes and gameplay. They tend to be relatively basic, but again teasing potential. This guy's fascinating: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/jason-rohrer/

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

With a good developer, player input shouldn't void their desire to compose shots. It does throw up certain game specific difficulties (how do I ensure the player sees this scene in a certain way without forcing them to stop playing in a cutscene) but it can be done, look at Shadow of the Colossus (camera position, lighting, environments all come together to direct players to see the scenes the developer wants them to see.

Player input voids the process of composition and structure of shots, because the developer cannot predict the actions of the player and therefore cannot create a linear sequence of shots (i.e. structure, composition). What you are referring to are events in the environment which Valve has used to great effect in the Half-Life 2 games, but they are not cut-scenes and there is no process of composition or structure of the shots by the developer; in fact, the player, not the developer, is the editor and cinematographer and it is effective because it encourages player input, not coerces it.

You're confusing a problem for an error. It's an error developers continually make by attempting to copy film, not a problem. It would be a problem if there was no alternative to copying film, which as you and I agree there is an alternative (i.e. Half-Life 2).

In Half-Life 2, there is a connection similar to the bone-spaceship-glass sustained payoff in 2001: A Space Odyssey: Valve set a rhythm for the player where the player sees a character on a monitor and identifies that as the location the player is moving to, and the first character the player sees on a monitor is Dr. Breen which is the player's ultimate destination and is eventually paid off. It has one of the best lines in Games: "Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing?". It works effectively, because it could not work in any other medium. However, Half-Life 2 pales in comparison to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

If you have to ask the question as to why no game can compare to 2001: A Space Odyssey, then, by definition, you demonstrate that you don't understand film or that specific film (Michael Chion's book about the film is a great starting point if you're interested, though).

The Game industry is relatively young. It's still in the balance what purpose computer games will serve: they can either be elevated to film or literature or knocked down to comic books, toys and boardgames and that's still in balance. So, it's comparable to a midget knocking out a five year old and his promoters asking David Haye for a shot at the WBA Heavyweight belt by comparing any game to 2001: A Space Odyssey. To compare games to that film the Game industry, much like any boxer wanting to fight David Haye, has to earn it and the Game industry hasn't even earned the status film and literature have in the mainstream.

Hyperbolic statements serve no purpose. I mean, you can claim that games match 2001: A Space Odyssey to draw attention to the great advances in games over the past two decades but you're only liable to have people react negatively to the naivety of the Game industry and its gamers. 2001: A Space Odyssey was the product of decades of work by an industry to get to a point where it was possible to create that film, intellectually and technologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Player input voids the process of composition and structure of shots, because the developer cannot predict the actions of the player and therefore cannot create a linear sequence of shots (i.e. structure, composition).

This isn't true at all. In lots of cases, the player can fiddle around with the camera settings to get a closer look at something for gameplay purposes, but game developers can have very clear ideas indeed about how they want to present each scene and can indeed impose them if they've got a mind to.

The first Silent Hill game has a great example of what I mean. The opening sequence has the player character run down an alleyway, trying to find his lost child. As you, the player, press forward, the view tracks around you in a series of amazing and clearly very thoughtfully composed angles, to emphasize the increasingly confined quarters. The "camera" is not fixed, it flies around you like a hummingbird with a steadicam; sometimes it sways erratically to shake you up, and sometimes, it settles in one position to let you run past from above, like a patient predator.

At all times, the player is in control of the character that the "camera" is tracking, but somebody somewhere has clearly sat down and made a series of decisions and, I daresay, storyboards, about exactly how they want to present the scene onscreen, and exactly how they want each moment framed.

The original Metal Gear Solid has a few moments like that too - the moment the player is first confronted with Metal Gear itself, the viewpoint adopts a very, very deliberate position that emphasizes the scale of the machine in relation to the player character. And there's plenty of other stuff I could probably come up with if it weren't 4am and post-pint.

Depending on the game, the player does have the final word, but that doesn't mean the developer hasn't given it lots and lots and lots of thought already, or that they can't employ some degree of control if they so choose. A lot of developers aren't very creative or imaginative about it, and it's more convenient to implement in some genres than in others, but the option is certainly there, player input and all.

Player input voids the process of composition and structure of shots, because the developer cannot predict the actions of the player and therefore cannot create a linear sequence of shots (i.e. structure, composition). What you are referring to are events in the environment which Valve has used to great effect in the Half-Life 2 games, but they are not cut-scenes and there is no process of composition or structure of the shots by the developer; in fact, the player, not the developer, is the editor and cinematographer and it is effective because it encourages player input, not coerces it.

Have you played through the developers commentaries for Left 4 Dead yet? If you haven't it might be interesting to you. There's parts were the developer talks about the use of colour and lighting in a scene to draw the players attention to it what the devleoper wants the player to see and to guide them through a level subconciously. You've still got the randomness factor of the player but it is quite an effective step in rectifying this.

But thats my point, in games you shouldn't try to create specific shots and force players to watch them in cut scenes too much as it breaks the immersion. Good developers realise this and so create the shots ingame and direct the player to watch the action themselves, they get to create composed shots but without losing immersion for the player. The thing that games have that most differentiates them from any other media is immersion, everything a developer does should be done with that in mind.
    You're confusing a problem for an error. It's an error developers continually make by attempting to copy film, not a problem. It would be a problem if there was no alternative to copying film, which as you and I agree there is an alternative (i.e. Half-Life 2).

Needless distinction. Its a problem that in the games industry more and more developers are aiming for cinematic games, as this fundamentally ignores the uniqueness of the media they are working in (imagine a developer making a literature game, where players would play by reading massive blocks of prose, nobody would play it, as what would be the point), but that doesn't mean that problem doesn't have a solution.
    If you have to ask the question as to why no game can compare to 2001: A Space Odyssey, then, by definition, you demonstrate that you don't understand film or that specific film (Michael Chion's book about the film is a great starting point if you're interested, though).

:confused: This is probably one of the most patronising pieces of crap I've ever heard. Asking why you think no game can be compared to a film, by definition, means I dont understand film? Your subjective opinion of a movie is not an objective truth. Why do you think no game can compare to 2001?
    The Game industry is relatively young. It's still in the balance what purpose computer games will serve: they can either be elevated to film or literature or knocked down to comic books, toys and boardgames and that's still in balance. So, it's comparable to a midget knocking out a five year old and his promoters asking David Haye for a shot at the WBA Heavyweight belt by comparing any game to 2001: A Space Odyssey. To compare games to that film the Game industry, much like any boxer wanting to fight David Haye, has to earn it and the Game industry hasn't even earned the status film and literature have in the mainstream.

This is not an answer, its an inflated opinion. You put down comic books, as if one of the most profitable films ever made wasn't adapted from a comic book. You objectively declare the importance of certain forms of entertainment over others, because of what subjectively interests you. This is not a prize fight, its a simple question: I can either watch 2001 for the first time tonight, or I can play "insert game here" for the first time tonight, which should i do and why?
    Hyperbolic statements serve no purpose. I mean, you can claim that games match 2001: A Space Odyssey to draw attention to the great advances in games over the past two decades but you're only liable to have people react negatively to the naivety of the Game industry and its gamers. 2001: A Space Odyssey was the product of decades of work by an industry to get to a point where it was possible to create that film, intellectually and technologically.

:confused: Where did I claim that games match 2001? I merely asked you, without agreeing or disagreeing, what makes you think it cant be matched, in visuals or narrative, by games.
    Do you have any reasoning beyond snotty derision of games? Can you describe specific aspects of 2001 that make it so unapproachable by the games industry in terms of visuals or narratives.

This isn't true at all. In lots of cases, the player can fiddle around with the camera settings to get a closer look at something for gameplay purposes, but game developers can have very clear ideas indeed about how they want to present each scene and can indeed impose them if they've got a mind to.

How then does a developer predict the actions of a player such that they can structure a linear sequence of unbroken shots and predict with a certainty of one each time the player's input over each tick? It is not possible. A linear unbroken sequence of shots is a cut-scene and within this structure, a director or editor can control the pace and meaning of the sequence. This is not possible with player input, because the player is controlling the pace, not the director or editor. You are correct that game developers can control the environments in which player exists and trigger events based upon player input; however, that's pointing out the redundant obvious and I didn't disagree and in fact I advocate and support the event triggering and gating Valve have used, especially in the Half-Life 2 games and stated such here.

So, we don't disagree.
    Have you played through the developers commentaries for Left 4 Dead yet? If you haven't it might be interesting to you. There's parts were the developer talks about the use of colour and lighting in a scene to draw the players attention to it what the devleoper wants the player to see and to guide them through a level subconciously. You've still got the randomness factor of the player but it is quite an effective step in rectifying this.
    Those are techniques in level design that can be used to great effect in narrative design if the developer uses the environment to convey meaning. Valve's designers referenced it in the developer commentaries for Half-Life 2 episodes too. The best example I can think of from memory is at the start of Half-Life 2 where the player has to go through a regimented caged path that simultaneously tasks the player on movement and subtly conveys the regimental oppression of the Combine.
    Needless distinction. Its a problem that in the games industry more and more developers are aiming for cinematic games

It isn't a needless distinction. If it were a problem rather than an error in form, then there has not been a solution found, which you and I agree there has, such that the games industry cannot progress. That is not the case and game developers have utilized the form to effect and have progressed the medium. An error made by the majority of game developers does not preclude other superior game developers from progress in the industry and elevating it. These errors do not eclipse the real problem of game developers creating and mapping emotion to the human face comparable to the expressiveness of great actors and actresses.

I did not put down comic books. It is not a declaration based upon what subjectively interests me: it is a statement based upon observable fact. In general, comic books do not have the same status as film or literature in western society (France, an exception); this is easily verified by perusing mainstream newspapers, watching media coverage or reading treatise over the last few decades and counting the number of journalists and intellectuals employed to write, talk and critique film or literature versus the number, comic books. It's irrelevant that the intellectual property of a comic book or any other medium was used by another medium to great acclaim or reviews; it indicates zero of the medium from which the property originated and zero of the medium to which the property was used. Don't confuse form ('a reel of film', 'a piece of coloured paper') for content ('characters', 'story', 'plot').

I did not claim that you, specifically, said games matched 2001: A Space Odyssey; 'you' was used in a general sense. The original claim was:
    no game has come close to 2001: A Space Odyssey in terms of visuals or narrative or both.
    That is different from your interpretation of the claim that 'no game can match' 2001: A Space Odyssey which speaks to the past, present and future of games as opposed to the original which speaks to the past collection of games which have not come close to 2001: A Space Odyssey and which speaks nothing of future games.

I have already recommended a very good book and author who can elucidate the film for you. It is not my subjective opinion of 2001: A Space Odyssey that I base my claims on but the fact that it has continually stood the test of time for over forty years (slightly below the age of the computer game) and is still a draw when screened at cinemas and had a tremendous impact upon mainstream culture; facts that have no relation to my subjective opinion.

I don't see any reason why you cannot watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and play "insert game here".

How then does a developer predict the actions of a player such that they can structure a linear sequence of unbroken shots and predict with a certainty of one each time the player's input over each tick? It is not possible. A linear unbroken sequence of shots is a cut-scene and within this structure, a director or editor can control the pace and meaning of the sequence. This is not possible with player input, because the player is controlling the pace, not the director or editor. You are correct that game developers can control the environments in which player exists and trigger events based upon player input; however, that's pointing out the redundant obvious and I didn't disagree and in fact I advocate and support the event triggering and gating Valve have used, especially in the Half-Life 2 games and stated such here.

So, we don't disagree.

Look, you are suffering from the same problem as a lot of game developers at the moment, by assuming that games should tell stories in the same way as movies, by simply playing a scene with no 3rd party involvement, and that player input would work against that. The thing is, games aren't supposed to tell stories the same way as movies, they are supposed to tell stories while involving the player with gameplay. When developers recognise this, they can have great stories and great gameplay compliment each other, while still structuring the scenes they want. This contradicts you first sentence in your last post where you say "Player input voids the process of composition and structure of shots"
    Those are techniques in level design that can be used to great effect in narrative design if the developer uses the environment to convey meaning. Valve's designers referenced it in the developer commentaries for Half-Life 2 episodes too. The best example I can think of from memory is at the start of Half-Life 2 where the player has to go through a regimented caged path that simultaneously tasks the player on movement and subtly conveys the regimental oppression of the Combine.

So you agree now that player input doesn't void the process of composition and structure of shots? Just that it needs to be done in a different way to movies?
    It isn't a needless distinction. If it were a problem rather than an error in form, then there has not been a solution found, which you and I agree there has, such that the games industry cannot progress. That is not the case and game developers have utilized the form to effect and have progressed the medium. An error made by the majority of game developers does not preclude other superior game developers from progress in the industry and elevating it. These errors do not eclipse the real problem of game developers creating and mapping emotion to the human face comparable to the expressiveness of great actors and actresses.

This is just needless semantics. Its a problem because a lot of develops attitude is to compete with films on a films terms, which negatively effects gameplay experiences. Call it an error or a problem, the situation is the same, too many developers think games need to cinematic.
    I did not put down comic books. It is not a declaration based upon what subjectively interests me: it is a statement based upon observable fact.

You have this odd habit of claiming you didn't say something despite the fact that you previous posts are still here for all to see. You do realise that, dont you? I can point to your post where you said:
    "It's still in the balance what purpose computer games will serve: they can either be elevated to film or literature or knocked down to comic books, toys and boardgames and that's still in balance"
    and point out how that clearly puts down comic books, as being mere toys, meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
    In general, comic books do not have the same status as film or literature in western society (France, an exception); this is easily verified by perusing mainstream newspapers, watching media coverage or reading treatise over the last few decades and counting the number of journalists and intellectuals employed to write, talk and critique film or literature versus the number, comic books. It's irrelevant that the intellectual property of a comic book or any other medium was used by another medium to great acclaim or reviews; it indicates zero of the medium from which the property originated and zero of the medium to which the property was used. Don't confuse form ('a reel of film', 'a piece of coloured paper') for content ('characters', 'story', 'plot').

You are contradicting yourself all over the place. Status is merely consensus. Comics dont have the same status as films as there isn't a majority consensus on what they are worth, but that doesn't mean that to some they aren't worth more than movies or video games or paintings. The point is, regardless of what popularity of perceived worth a medium has in the general publics eyes, it may still have worth in the eyes of its fans. Video games may end up knocked down to the purpose of comic books, toys and boardgames as you say, but that doesn't mean they wont have more worth than the most cinematic film or the most thoughtful sculpture, to those who can appreciate them.
    I did not claim that you, specifically, said games matched 2001: A Space Odyssey; 'you' was used in a general sense. The original claim was:
    "no game has come close to 2001: A Space Odyssey in terms of visuals or narrative or both. "
    That is different from your interpretation of the claim that 'no game can match' 2001: A Space Odyssey which speaks to the past, present and future of games as opposed to the original which speaks to the past collection of games which have not come close to 2001: A Space Odyssey and which speaks nothing of future games.

Then what is it that all the games up to now lack that mean they aren't a match for 2001, in visual and/or narrative?
    I have already recommended a very good book and author who can elucidate the film for you. It is not my subjective opinion of 2001: A Space Odyssey that I base my claims on but the fact that it has continually stood the test of time for over forty years (slightly below the age of the computer game) and is still a draw when screened at cinemas and had a tremendous impact upon mainstream culture; facts that have no relation to my subjective opinion.

I am not interested in reading a book, you made a claim, you back it up. If its based purely on it still being a draw in the cinemas than The Rocky Horror Picture Show must be one of the best films ever made, as people still go to see that (hell, they dress up when they see it, do people go in costume when they go to see 2001?)
    I don't see any reason why you cannot watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and play "insert game here".

Just answer the question.

Look, you are suffering from the same problem as a lot of game developers at the moment

I doubt that I suffer from the same error, because my first post in this thread established that I was aware of the error before even your first reference to it in this thread. You cannot even distinguish between what is an error and what is a problem ("needless semantics" it is not) and you still have not understood the terms used in this discussion or the discussion itself. Read: "a linear unbroken sequence of shots is a cut-scene and within this structure, a director or editor can control the pace and meaning of the sequence. This is not possible with player input, because the player is controlling the pace, not the director or editor".

The process of composition and structure of shots by the developer is not possible with player input, because the player is composing and structuring the shots, not the developer. Therefore any pace or meaning the developer indicated with the process of composition and structure of a linear unbroken sequence of shots is lost if the player breaks it. Player input voids the process. Like confusing form for content and asserting the irrelevant fact that because an intellectual property originated from one medium and successfully applied to another, it indicated something of the medium it originated from, you confuse an event in an environment or the environment itself for a cut-scene. The former encourages player input and consequently voids the process of composition and structure of shots and the latter, voids player input and consequently enables the process of composition and structure of shots.

You have an unsurprising habit of using words that you do not understand ('problem', 'subjective', 'contradict' et cetera). You claimed that 'I' put down comic books: 'I' is a personal pronoun. Nowhere in your quote is there reference to comic books in the personal first-person singular. That quote is based upon the observable fact found in the media and literature and mainstream society who have established a hierarchy of media with film and literature near the top, not based upon my personal 'subjective' opinion; otherwise I would have used the first-person singular. A monkey can "point" to the moon, but it doesn't mean he understands it. The contradictions exist only within your own noggin'.

If someone thinks that blowing up houses is a medium worthy of consideration as the same status as film or literature, then the onus is on that someone to establish by work and effort and prove that it is worthy of consideration. The ultimate decision of whether that medium is considered the same as film or literature is by the society in which that someone lives. Fundamentally, you don't understand that if a medium is relegated to a toy, a comic book or a boardgame, it is relegated for the reason that it does not offer intellectually-satisfying form or content for the adult and mature society it is sold for and therefore, the medium has to downmarket to create an economy for the industry to survive.
    I am not interested in reading a book

You should start. You've answered your own question. On the contrary, you have to make it worthwhile for me to waste my time explaining to you which, based upon your inability to understand simple concepts such as 'subjective', 'contradict', 'problem', 'error', 'process', 'composition', 'shots', 'structure', 'I' et cetera, would be a full-time job and should be remunerated.

And, if you're going to debate with me, learn how to respond by not quote-retarding my post. If you cannot construct a response in sizeable blocks of text without confusing yourself, then you shouldn't bother composing a response at all.

I doubt that I suffer from the same error, because my first post in this thread established that I was aware of the error before even your first reference to it in this thread. You cannot even distinguish between what is an error and what is a problem ("needless semantics" it is not) and you still have not understood the terms used in this discussion or the discussion itself. Read: "a linear unbroken sequence of shots is a cut-scene and within this structure, a director or editor can control the pace and meaning of the sequence. This is not possible with player input, because the player is controlling the pace, not the director or editor".

Your semantic nitpicking is exasperating. Not to mention your point is just plain wrong. The player only controls the pace of the character they control, a director can still dictate the pace of any scenes that play out on screen, regardless of whether or not the player can run around in circles while the story is playing out. A player cant stop a scene, have one npc change his dialogue or deliver it in a way that the director doesn't want them to.
    The process of composition and structure of shots by the developer is not possible with player input, because the player is composing and structuring the shots, not the developer. Therefore any pace or meaning the developer indicated with the process of composition and structure of a linear unbroken sequence of shots is lost if the player breaks it. Player input voids the process. Like confusing form for content and asserting the irrelevant fact that because an intellectual property originated from one medium and successfully applied to another, it indicated something of the medium it originated from, you confuse an event in an environment or the environment itself for a cut-scene. The former encourages player input and consequently voids the process of composition and structure of shots and the latter, voids player input and consequently enables the process of composition and structure of shots.

Just plain wrong. Players only control the direction of the camera, they cannot have a scene play out in a way that the director doesn't allow for, as, very simply, the scenes are pre-programmed according to the directors wishes. The director does have to ensure that the player is looking at the right place, but the player cant interfere with a scene playing out in ways the director doesn't want them to. Directors can use light and colour to direct players attention, they can structure levels so that they enter scenes from certain angles and can only view things the way the director wants. Look at the old Resident evil games (before 4 or the shooters), they were games made up entirely of linear sequences of shots as the camera was fixed in each room and would only show you the scene the director wanted in the way he wanted (you could backtrack, but you could still only see the scripted sequences in the order and manner the director desires
    You have an unsurprising habit of using words that you do not understand ('problem', 'subjective', 'contradict' et cetera). You claimed that 'I' put down comic books: 'I' is a personal pronoun. Nowhere in your quote is there reference to comic books in the personal first-person singular. That quote is based upon the observable fact found in the media and literature and mainstream society who have established a hierarchy of media with film and literature near the top, not based upon my personal 'subjective' opinion; otherwise I would have used the first-person singular. A monkey can "point" to the moon, but it doesn't mean he understands it. The contradictions exist only within your own noggin'.

If someone thinks that blowing up houses is a medium worthy of consideration as the same status as film or literature, then the onus is on that someone to establish by work and effort and prove that it is worthy of consideration. The ultimate decision of whether that medium is considered the same as film or literature is by the society in which that someone lives. Fundamentally, you don't understand that if a medium is relegated to a toy, a comic book or a boardgame, it is relegated for the reason that it does not offer intellectually-satisfying form or content for the adult and mature society it is sold for and therefore, the medium has to downmarket to create an economy for the industry to survive.

You really love to talk BS dont you? All you are offering is an argumentum ad populum (along with a bizarre attempt to redefine some words :confused: ) which, if taken to its logical conclusion, implies that the Transformers movie has more purpose than 2001, as it made more money (more people chose to watch it), a ludicrous notion, I'm sure you will agree. The general populations ability to appreciate the purpose or value of something is not actually a measure of the purpose or value of that thing.
    You should start. You've answered your own question. On the contrary, you have to make it worthwhile for me to waste my time explaining to you which, based upon your inability to understand simple concepts such as 'subjective', 'contradict', 'problem', 'error', 'process', 'composition', 'shots', 'structure', 'I' et cetera, would be a full-time job and should be remunerated.

Baseless insults now? Really, making a claim and then pointing to somewhere else to support it without any input of your own, trying to redefine simple terms to get out of the hole your illogical arguments have put you in, insulting someone instead of actually responding to their points, these are the games that trolls and creationists play. Cut it out, quit stalling and answer the question "what is it that 2001 has in narrative and visuals that, up to now, games haven't matched"? If you believe that there is an actual answer, and actually comprehend it, rather than hold to it because you think it makes you sound smarter to agree with snotty film critics, then actually explain it.
    And, if you're going to debate with me, learn how to respond by not quote-retarding my post. If you cannot construct a response in sizeable blocks of text without confusing yourself, then you shouldn't bother composing a response at all.

:confused: I cant even tell what you are complaining about here (more games is it?) Is it that I split up your posts too much when I respond? Is that too much for you to handle or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Everyone's referring to games like Heavy Rain (which I like) and L.A Noir for examples of story telling and facial animation but come on lads there's way more games than that and they're not old either. The Darkness got really bad reviews but honestly it's storytelling and gameplay worked relatively well with each other and it was powerful.

shadow of the colossus stold a story without really using any cutscenes or dialogue... the whole emotion of the game came directly from the gameplay, filling the player with hope, wonder and regret without ever saying a word to suggest such emotions.

I also can't believe nobody has mentioned Yakuza 3 or 4, Games with some of the best facial animation I've seen around (easily beating L.A imo) and very good action if a little unrealistic at times. And the story is just brilliant if a little complicated at times. Half the story is told through gameplay, too.

Saying the game cannot be directed properly because of the player's ability to explore is just crazy.

Advertisement