Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any "late night" or morning Muay Thai beginner classes in Dublin city?

• 23-05-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

"late night" = starting around 8:15 - 8:30 PM
    morning = ending before 10:30~ am

Hi all,

I'm moving to Dublin in June and was really hoping to start doing Muay Thai but it seems all classes start at either 6 or 7 and unfortunately I will be working until 8 Monday to Friday, so I was wondering if there's anyone who knows a club that does beginner classes a bit later than that. I would also be interested in morning classes (don't start work until 11).

I don't have a car so it should be within cycling/walking distance of the city centre, or a place where public transport is still available after it ends.

Thank you everyone. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I think the format is usually beginners on early and then the fighter classes on late.
    If you fantastically wealthy you might want to consider doing private lessons in the morning with the aim of getting good enough to train in the fighter class.

(ie get the trainer to teach you how to hold pads for your training partner)

If you go that route then Bridgestone Muay Thai have Fighter classes from 8.15pm till late in Stoneybatter (5 min cycle from city center)

Oh and they do private lessons too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

How much are we talkin for private lessons? Also anyone know anything about extreme fitness' muay Thai in swords? Do they have fighters? At 29 I know I'll never fight but would love to start for fitness and get up to a decent standard where I'd be able to spar. Was looking at bridgestone as I'm in blanch now but maybe moving to artane soon so as far as I can find extreme would be nearest. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

While striking may be different, you're never to old to compete.

I know I've a mate who's only 17 but he said some of the basic level thai fights you can get into are glorified spars and you still get to compete. Aim for something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mugger

bridgestone do privates from 25euro for an hour
    and 29 is not to old to start fighting it depends on alot of other things,you could be in ur 30s even 40s and start training and fighting

First off 29 is not 'too old', Im 29 and have no intention of stopping any time soon, one of the mods on here is in his 30s and still fights pro regularly.

Im only know the gyms that have pro and amature fighters on the IMC circuit. Im not familar with extreem fitness muay thai. Im totally bias but I can fully reccomend Bridgestone, Dublin Thai boxing are in Kilbarack so they might be closer.

Different prices for different clubs, dont hold me to this but I think they are around 30e an hour for a lesson from a professional thai fighter, which if you think about it is very reasonable.
    If your in with 20-30 other people you might get, at most, a couple of mins face time with the coach, so having someone who knows their stuff correct your technique and stance for a full hour will give you a massive advantage.

• Advertisement

Ah mugger got in ahead of me, I stand corrected 25e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

25 euro is very reasonable. Im 29 but believe me I dont feel at all over the hill. But it'd be baby steps for me, I wont get carried away. Hopefully train until I get up to sparring standard and take it from there. Speaking of which how long would you say it would take an average novice to get up to sparring standard training 3 maybe 4 times a week, one of which would be a private session?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mugger

again it depends on the person and what they put in2 the training,but someone that hasnt done any training before and trains 2-4 times a week should be starting to do bits of sparing and drills after afew weeks,and i mean technical sparing notting mad,then move on to free sparing after afew months,then again it depends on the person and how they stuck to the training but could have there 1st amature fight between 9 - 18 months
    every1 is differnt and take differnt times to get to each stage,so ur best bet is to just get stuck in and start training and dont do what so many do and say they are to old or dont have the time ;)
    you might find after afew months you hate the sport and its not for you,but i havnt met anyone who has said that yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DTB

bono_v wrote: »
    How much are we talkin for private lessons? Also anyone know anything about extreme fitness' muay Thai in swords? Do they have fighters? At 29 I know I'll never fight but would love to start for fitness and get up to a decent standard where I'd be able to spar. Was looking at bridgestone as I'm in blanch now but maybe moving to artane soon so as far as I can find extreme would be nearest. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Where in killbarck industrial estate which is close to Artane the 17A bus will leave you right outside.

http://www.dublinthaiboxing.com/

Advertisement