Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we go ??

Options
  • 23-05-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Some good advice needed,

Myself (22) and the girlfriend (24) have been thinking strongly about emigrating to Australia for the year, I'm 99% sure I want to go but my girlfriend has her doubts whether its as easy to get by as everyone makes out to be. I'm a qualified computer technician (3 years experience) currently unemployed and she is currently teaching in a pre school (2 years exp)and also has a degree in childcare. Ive also got 4 years experience as a barman so I don't think I should find it that hard to try find some work. Our biggest worries are as follows:
    • Where abouts in Australia should we go
    • What is the living costs
    • What kind of wages should we expect
    • Chances of actually finding work
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If your girlfriend has a pre-school qualification and the experience you say, she will walk into a job in Sydney or Melbourne. There is a very big demand for qualified pre-school teachers. I believe it's on the skills list, so it's likely she could get sponsored after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Please please do a search on the forum, all those questions have been answered many many many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Maybe someone can correct me but the pre-school teachers I an encountered over here have a degree in education not childcare. Might be a slight difference because here school is not compulsory until Year 1 (turning 6), pre school is classed as Kindy and Pre Primary. I think for your girlfriend to teach she would have to do a post graduate diploma in teaching. But she would get something in childcare no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Some good advice needed,

Myself (22) and the girlfriend (24) have been thinking strongly about emigrating to Australia for the year

You mean go on a holiday for a year

Advertisement