Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions

Options
  • 23-05-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I had a listen to this over the weekend and was absolutely blown away by track 4 - "Under Black Flags We March". Once the guitar came in at 0:24 I pretty much knew I was going to like the track but a special mention must go to the harmonised lead at 2:45. The whole song reminds me of Heart of Darkness of Wages of Sin which is probably my favourite Arch Enemy track.

Anyway, there's already been one YouTube video removed so I don't know how long the one below will remain active so enjoy it while you can:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

actually thought from first listen that it was a typical arch enemy song, as im not a huge fan, of the newer material but i do agree with you on the melodic lead at 2.45, deffo adds alot to the track!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    actually thought from first listen that it was a typical arch enemy song, as im not a huge fan, of the newer material but i do agree with you on the melodic lead at 2.45, deffo adds alot to the track!

I have to admit I wasn't hugely impressed with Rise of the Tyrant. Their sound seemed to become a bit more processed or something. It's like it lost some of the chuggy evilness by being overly-smooth. It's hard to describe (as you can tell by my last sentence ;)) but you know what I mean! Not much else of the album has jumped out at me so far but it's early days yet and the song above is a good start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm planning on getting the album (though I have to get Anaal Nathrakh's Passion album first). I've been looking forward to it since I saw it was announced.

After an extensive listening session last night I would also like to add "Bloodstained Cross" to the list of kick-ass songs on the album :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

GrizzlyMan wrote: »

I'd be in agreement with this too, I always found Arch Enemy to be fairly bland. They do have their moments though. Nice tasty drumfill at 1:38 in that first video!

• Advertisement

I always found Arch Enemy to be fairly bland
    Bland? Wow, I could use a lot of adjectives to describe them but bland isn't one. What do you find bland about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Very steady tracks, I've always enjoyed their more melodic stuff more than the just flat out fast/heavy songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Malice wrote: »
    Bland? Wow, I could use a lot of adjectives to describe them but bland isn't one. What do you find bland about them?

I don't know its probably more to do with my own taste in metal, I'm not really too fond of the melodeath bands such as Arch Enemy and In Flames and the like. The riffing just doesn't seem overly original. However maybe I'm not digging deep enough...I've only heard from the past 2 or 3 albums they've had.

In no particular order these are some of my favourite Arch Enemy songs. Have a listen to them and if you still think they're bland then I'd love to know what you make of the likes of Nickleback, 3 Doors Down or Puddle of Mudd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I used to quite like Arch Enemy around the time of Wages of Sin. I was blown away at the time by Ravenous in particular, still a great song. Anthems of Rebellion then, I couldn't stand and it's been the same with pretty much everything since, bar a song or two on Doomsday Machine.

My main issue with them is their choruses and vocal patterns. They insist on trying to write arena style choruses, which drains all the momentum and energy from the song. Riffs slow down, vocals slow down and become monotonous and repetitive, the twin melodies are usually very "safe"... It's gotten to the point where I can no longer listen to them. Which is a shame as Enemy Within is a beast, and Nemesis gets off to a cracking start.

Songs like Dead Eyes... We Will Rise, Heart of Darkness, My Apocalypse seem to be their main style these days which doesn't do it for me. Insistently mid-paced :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Malice wrote: »
    In no particular order these are some of my favourite Arch Enemy songs. Have a listen to them and if you still think they're bland then I'd love to know what you make of the likes of Nickleback, 3 Doors Down or Puddle of Mudd!

well the bands you mentioned arent bland at all because they are seriously not rated even as bands they are that bad:( But have to say "spirtcrusher" took the words right out of my mouth!! all in all - "mid Paced". there is way more interesting bands, especially in the melodic death metal genre(which i wouldnt class their new stuff in) for example At The Gates Slaughter of the Soul======== an album that gives me shivers just typing the name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bumping this ahead of the new Arch Enemy album War Eternal being released on June 9th

War Eternal is also Arch Enemy's first album without Angela in the band, Alissa White Gluz has taken her place, though Angela will remain with the band as business manager.

Arch-Enemy-War-Eternal-e1396049606238.jpg

1. Tempore Nihil Sanat (Prelude in F minor)
    2. Never Forgive, Never Forget
    3. War Eternal
    4. As the Pages Burn
    5. No More Regrets
    6. You Will Know My Name
    7. Graveyard of Dreams (Instrumental)
    8. Stolen Life
    9. Time Is Black
    10. On and On
    11. Avalanche
    12. Down to Nothing
    13. Not Long for This World (Instrumental)

Advertisement