Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic restrictions Skerries May 29, Rás

Options
  • 23-05-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭

The Rás ends in Skerries this Sunday, May 29th.

Anyone know the details of the traffic restrictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Last year access to the town was pretty much stopped for about 2 hours as per Gardai instructions. No rolling closures at all which caused some consternation. People were able to get to the outskirts from Golf club Rush side dump the cars and walk but wasn't possible to get out. Gardai make the call depending on how much the race has broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The route for the day should be of some help to you:

http://www.anpostras.com/event/fbdras_728.shtml

I know it's not exact details of the road closures but you can pick out vantage points for viewing the riders. Going on the past few years I'd take it that Skerries town centre will be closed to vehicles for most of the day.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Timing is also very uncertain - the weather today for example probably added well over an hour to the race time - if it calms down by Sunday everything should be pretty much on time, but if there are strong winds the timing could change significantly in either direction

Estimated timings are here, and you could expect roads to close for a while before the race comes through

EDIT - Eoineo got the link in first:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Eoineo wrote: »
    The route for the day should be of some help to you:

http://www.anpostras.com/event/fbdras_728.shtml

I know it's not exact details of the road closures but you can pick out vantage points for viewing the riders. Going on the past few years I'd take it that Skerries town centre will be closed to vehicles for most of the day.

In past years do they leave any roads open to gain access?

I need to get down to the harbour/Red Island area at about 2PM, which looks to be exactly the wrong time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The wrong time indeed. Your best bet would be (if coming from Dublin) to come via Lusk & Rush to Skerries. Then park near in Shenick (first left as you enter Skerries) or by the Rugby Club. Then walk along the South Strand to Red Island/the harbour.

• Advertisement

Latest info on traffic restrictions:

At 2.30 the commentary begins. At about 3 o'clock the cyclists enter the town. Road closures will take effect as the peloton travels around the course. All roads into Skerries will be affected for the duration of the race.

A section of Strand Street from Gerry’s to Dowlings Corner will be closed to traffic from 12:45pm to 4pm. The Skerries Mills car park will be used the riders and their support vehicles after the race.

Source: Skerries Community Association

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Great day in Skerries. Thanks to all who made the event such a success. Hope it comes back again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Easiest year marshalling this year. think people are getting used to it. Every year is the last year because of the logistics involved. I'd love to actually watch this some time but I think racing the bloody thing is the only way out of marshalling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My daughter wants to go bike racing after seeing them whizz past. We just happened to be out on our bikes on the way back from the playground when they came into the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Good day out for the family alright. The only gripe I would have with the whole thing is the facepainting stall. €10 for a facepaint... Rip off. There was a time it used to be free at events like this. In Balbriiggan Summer festival last year it was free. I think it was 5 here last year, 10 is very steep if you are a family with 3 kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jesus. That is very pricey alright.

Jaysus! That's highway robbery!!! Feedback needed on that to the organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

shaungil wrote: »
    Easiest year marshalling this year. think people are getting used to it. Every year is the last year because of the logistics involved. I'd love to actually watch this some time but I think racing the bloody thing is the only way out of marshalling!!!

I dont get roped into marshalling but my usual viewpoint is cross of the cage and Ardgillan.
    To say that it can be a little bit rowdy may just cover it.
    There are people who go to Ardgillan and then find they are stuck there while the road gets closed. People either dont read/dont see or just ignore the signs as they go in and then try to tell the Gardai that there lives depend on getting out. I think credit has to be given to the Gardai on duty up there as some people react as if the world is ending when they are told that they cant take their chosen route into Skerries..

A quick tale from 2 yrs ago:
    One guy was so put out that he couldnt get into Skerries that he told the Gradai on duty that his child was very sick and he needed to get home to get the child to hospital.
    The Garda replied that there were several ambulances on the circuit and he could divert one to his house and the child would be in hospital a lot quicker. All he needed was his address. Long story short the driver was very lucky not to receive a ticket for wasting Garda time.

Advertisement