Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IT person

• 23-05-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

How do you become an it person. What courses are good too take. I'm not not that good at computers. just something I thought I would like too do.

If this is the wrong place please move mod.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You'll have to be a bit more descriptive...

What do you want to know or do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cena wrote: »
    How do you become an it person. What courses are good too take. I'm not not that good at computers. just something I thought I would like too do.
    How "not good" are you? If you are very bad, do the ECDL certificate. If you have "fiddled with computers in the past, but haven't done so in 10 or so years", look into the CompTIA A+ certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you're not too good with computers I'd say that you'd be better off starting small. Even youtubing a few howto videos to get you started. There are loads of tutorials online.

Courses to take would be the likes of the CompTIA ones. (A+, N+).

Check this site for a load of test questions and help regarding various courses.

http://techexams.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

it person
    "IT" is a very broad expression. be more specific. if you don't know what area would you like to be working in - think about it, narrow your perspective - its kinda important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

You go to college for 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FlowersByRay

Check out applied computing at WIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm not sure. Fixing the computers if they go down with companys. I did a small nit of that ecdl stuff in school years back and I knew most of it what we were been told. I see my two brothers are good at them. My older one can build is own computer etc and other one can fix somthing if it goes wrong and i'm left there having too ask them for help.

A guy I know works in the department of eduction in Athlone and he's an IT man as he calls it and he didn't go too college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Keedowah wrote: »
    You go to college for 4 years.

Don't let college get in the way of a good education.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Don't let college get in the way of a good education.

What do you mean by this? College isn't for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What do you mean by this? College isn't for everyone.

If you're really dead set on becoming an "it person" who looks after computers/servers/laptops/networks etc, while a 4 year degree will certainly stand to you when you finish it, you will most likely be asked to go and acquire the certifications that a few have mentioned.

If you're in anyway unsure of the path you want to take, a degree, no matter what it's focused on, will stand do you down the line should you want to change career paths.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    If you're really dead set on becoming an "it person" who looks after computers/servers/laptops/networks etc, while a 4 year degree will certainly stand to you when you finish it, you will most likely be asked to go and acquire the certifications that a few have mentioned.

If you're in anyway unsure of the path you want to take, a degree, no matter what it's focused on, will stand do you down the line should you want to change career paths.

I agree that a degree would stand for jobs. I'm just saying not everyone wants too head too college or can even afford it. They may want too do night courses etc than going too college. I'm not say I don't want too go too college and I would like too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fixing the computers if they go down with companys.
    The CompTIA A+ cert basically says "I know how to fix/troubleshoot computer problems, and here's a cert to prove it", IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I agree that a degree would stand for jobs. I'm just saying not everyone wants too head too college or can even afford it. They may want too do night courses etc than going too college. I'm not say I don't want too go too college and I would like too.

Best way, is get a old pc , take it apart. If want to Play around windows -mess things -up install Virtual box and run a Virtual Machine , if you screw up you just delete and start over again .

Thanks for the guys. Very greatful

Advertisement