Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly or bait River fishing Waterford

Options
  • 23-05-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Heya All,

New to the forum, and i taught wat better place to ask for gud locations to wet a fine lines around the city.

Iv been an amuater wet fly fisher and bait fisher for years.. Mostly small rivers and the odd lake trip.

Would love to start getting back into it more this season as i have been in college an work over the past few years and havent had enough time to enjoy what brought me such fun in younger years..

Can anybody recccomend any decent places around or near waterford that i can get to try catch a few brownies.?

Any tactic tips wud be also helpful for the local waters..

Thanks very much, look forward to your advise or hints..

(",)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

kennyw wrote: »
    Heya All,

New to the forum, and i taught wat better place to ask for gud locations to wet a fine lines around the city.

Iv been an amuater wet fly fisher and bait fisher for years.. Mostly small rivers and the odd lake trip.

Would love to start getting back into it more this season as i have been in college an work over the past few years and havent had enough time to enjoy what brought me such fun in younger years..

Can anybody recccomend any decent places around or near waterford that i can get to try catch a few brownies.?

Any tactic tips wud be also helpful for the local waters..

Thanks very much, look forward to your advise or hints..

(",)

Hey,

get yourself out to knockaderry or carrigavantry reservoirs in kilmeaden.

I fish them regularly enough and there is some good trout in both with rainbows and browns. Its mainly boat fishing but you can fish from the shore in carrigavantry.

tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I know your looking for river but try here if your getting back in to fishing.plenty of descent browns and rainbows and its stocked regularly.Its just outside dungarvan heading toward cappaquin.

http://www.cappaghlakes.com/

Get in contact with one of the clubs on the suir aswell.A great river that was catch and release for a long time so this year should have great stocks running in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

first off Thanks very much for the heads up lads.. much appricated.
    I fish them regularly enough and there is some good trout in both with rainbows and browns. Its mainly boat fishing but you can fish from the shore in carrigavantry.

With the boat sides of it, is it possible to maybe rent one or anything from the area.? What flies have worked for yourself in the past..?

==============================================================
    DamageGT Thanks fotr the link very helpful :)

With the river suir in mind.. Do you fish it yourself? Would you reccomend fly or bait.? Also would you fancy maybe sharing any decent spots that maybe worth a try. lol (Pm if you like to share.. I understand if you want to keep them hot spots (",)

My lack of knoledge of the river is kinda obvious.. sorry if i come across stupid. haha

Thanks again

I'm from dungarvan myself but I haven't lived there for a few years now.I fish the lakes whenever I'm home but I haven't fished the suir in years since I'm in cork now I fish the bandon and the blackwater mostly .My uncle changed from the blackwater to the suir this year and is getting great results.Your best bet would be to join a club,ull get rights to better beats and meet a few people to show you around.The lakes in dungarvan are well stocked with rainbows and triploid browns.The main lake is only fly and that smaller lake/pond worm and fly.There's some big fish in the main lake from 6lb + and the smaller holds alot of 2 pounders +.Supposedly it holds bigger but iv never caught them in the smaller one.

thanks a mil.
    Yea i was thinkin of getting myself into a club, as you said to get to know the beat and to also get to meet a few experienced heads on the river.. Nothing beats first hand info from people who walk the walk..

What club was it tat ur uncle joined.. i might follow his footsteps. an get in on the same boat. :)

On a light weight rod, low breaking strain leader, and a few 6lb'ers = gud fun an abit of craic.. any suggestions on the flies..?

• Advertisement

kennyw wrote: »
    thanks a mil.
    Yea i was thinkin of getting myself into a club, as you said to get to know the beat and to also get to meet a few experienced heads on the river.. Nothing beats first hand info from people who walk the walk..

What club was it tat ur uncle joined.. i might follow his footsteps. an get in on the same boat. :)

On a light weight rod, low breaking strain leader, and a few 6lb'ers = gud fun an abit of craic.. any suggestions on the flies..?
    Ya the lakes are perfect if your looking to get back into it.I thought my young fella how to fish on them last month.We had 20 raindows from the smaller lake.im not sure what club he joined but I know he spent big money to get in there.ill be chatting to him later and Ill ask what club he would recommend.

Brilliant stuff. Fair play to ya for passing the rod to the younger sides of life.. i was the same when i was a sprat.. was brought down to the river at 5 yrs old an was taught to put worms on the hook. which every kid loves doin.. haha

With you getting 20 fish.. sounds like you had an eventful day.. wudnt mind that meself now.. a nice day, have the dogs beside me packed lunch, gud weather an a days fishing, wat more would any man want.. :)

Thanks very much for looking into the club sides of it for me.. Appricate it big time. ur a gent. (",)

Not a bother bud.ill pm you later when I find out

damagegt wrote: »
    Not a bother bud.ill pm you later when I find out

Nice one, I look forward to hearing from ya.. :)

Advertisement