Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's Benefit

Options
  • 23-05-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi!

I've just received a letter from the welfare office saying that I'm entitled to J.B., but not Jobseeker's Allowance. I'm getting a very small amount, barely over 100 euro, and am unemployed, renting, and paying bills. They are being very unhelpful to me. I went for a means test but I heard nothing from them about it. Do I have to settle for this? Can I claim more? PLEASE HELP : (

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not an expert, but I'm nearly sure it's the other way round. You've got Jobseeker's Allowance, which is means tested rather than Benefit which is not. Maybe someone better informed than I can confirm?

Have you applied for Rent Allowance and Fuel Allowance (although it's not payable until September)? You can appeal the decision. Have a word with the CWO...

BTW - You should ask a mod to move this to State Benefits. There are more people on there who'll be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

you swhould of gotten a letter saying what you where getting and when it would start , on this letter there is usealy a set amount of days you have to appeal if you think you are being hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to State Benefits forum

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Goingdeaf wrote: »
    Hi!

I've just received a letter from the welfare office saying that I'm entitled to J.B., but not Jobseeker's Allowance. I'm getting a very small amount, barely over 100 euro, and am unemployed, renting, and paying bills. They are being very unhelpful to me. I went for a means test but I heard nothing from them about it. Do I have to settle for this? Can I claim more? PLEASE HELP : (

People will need more information if you want help from them.

First of all there is no means test for Jobseekers Benefit, so perhaps the other poster is right when he says you have got the two mixed up (common enough mistake to make for someone who isn't familiar with the system).

Although it is possible that Jobseekers Benefit is reduced if your earnings in 2009 were less than 300 per week. How long did you work for before being made unemployed? Did you get a redundancy payment? What is your work history like since you first started employment, and in particular over the past 5 years?

What age are you? What is your income? If you still work part-time, how many hours do you work and over how many days? Is one of these days a Sunday?

Are you married or live with a parnter? Does your spouse/partner have any income? If so, how many hours do they work and over how many days? Do you have any children? If so, what ages, and are they still in school?

Have you applied for rent supplement?

Do you have any savings? Do you own any property other than your own home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goingdeaf

Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. Sorry I wasn't so clear!

Okay, I definitely didn't get them mixed up. I have been awarded with JB, even though I went for the means test for JA. I don't understand why. It even says on the letter that I can try for JA if I do not get the full amount (which is 188-and which is the case), but I did this already, and did not get it.

I worked part time for three years . 2007-2010. since then, unemployed. Was in college. Did get grant but now all gone.

No savings, loans, property etc. Age 23, nearly 24. Single.

I will appeal this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Goingdeaf wrote: »
    Hi all. Thanks for your help so far. Sorry I wasn't so clear!

Okay, I definitely didn't get them mixed up. I have been awarded with JB, even though I went for the means test for JA. I don't understand why. It even says on the letter that I can try for JA if I do not get the full amount (which is 188-and which is the case), but I did this already, and did not get it.

I worked part time for three years . 2007-2010. since then, unemployed. Was in college. Did get grant but now all gone.

No savings, loans, property etc. Age 23, nearly 24. Single.

I will appeal this.

Ok what I am presuming has happened is that you have been awarded JSB while your JSA is being processed. If this is not the case you should contact your swo and tell them you wish to proceed with your JSA application and in view of the fact you are under 25 and if you are living at home your parents income will also be accessed as means. I am presuming the reason you did not get the full rate of JSB is because you average weekly earnings in 2009 were not equal to or over €300 per week... if your earnings were less than this then you JSB is reduced http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx#Rates3

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goingdeaf

Thanks. This may be true, although there is no mention of the JA being processed at the moment. The 2009 data is true too. I earned enough in 2009 to qualify for the amount I am receiving now. I am not living at home either, so only my income is being assessed.

I have arranged a meeting with my welfare officer on Thu. Thanks for your help. I hope I get more money : /

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sammiie

if unemployed then you will entitled to rent allowance, food allowance, etc etc but in order to find out your entitlments than you will have to go to your local welfare office and talk to the welfare officer

Advertisement